IGNORED

Stead + Maynard

bangers

When Maynard is fit how exciting does a Stead/Maynard partnership look? Stead has been CLASS for us and we all know that a fully fit Nicky Maynard is one of the best strikers in the Championship. Obviously this season is a right off but it bolds well for the next few seasons.

Also, Stead £225,000?? BARGAIN

A good friend of mine is also a sponsor with the club and had a good chat with John on Friday.

Stead said that the reason his form was so good at the moment was because although he has played for a fair few clubs, he's never felt at home as much as he does now. He thought the club spirit was good and he had no concerns about us being relegated, as he thinks we have some of the most talented indviduals he's played with.

He was also asked about the linking up with Maynard and he said that playing with Nicky was one of the biggest attractions of coming, as after watching him for a couple of seasons, he feels he's the ideal foil to his own play. My mate then half heartidly said what if Nicky goes in January and Stead just flatly replied 'He's not going anywhere in January'. Perhaps Big Jon knows something!!!

I must admit when Stead first signed for us I had my doubts, but he has proved to be an excellent addition for the £200,000 odd we paid for him. He is a rare example of us signing a sutiable striker for a very reasonable price. The space he creates for players can only be good for a player like Nicky, who thrives off space. If Stead continues to perform at the level he has this week than I will be very, very impressed. Hopefully he'll keep this excellent form up, and will not run out of steam.

I don't know if it's a kind of honeymoon period or a purple patch at the moment, but if Stead continues to perform to hte current level, he will become one of the best forwards we've ever signed. Phenominal work and great skill to boot.

As has been said many times, an on form Stead and Maynard would be a strike partnership that would strike dread into the opposition.

Stead & Maynard could work out, but its a stretch at this stage of the season.

Firstly Maynard has to get over surgery, then basic training, then fitness training , then match fitness. Having arrived there, he has to work a competitive match combination with Stead. By then, two thirds of the season will be over. If Stead is injured, if Maynard needs more time or his recovery does not work out ?

Like some England teams who look good on paper ?

I hope everything falls into place for us, however we need to have a plan B & C. There's our challenge, do we have a plan B & C. I dont think we do. Haynes , Clarkeson and Pitman are not the answer to Maynard and never will be. Maynard and Stead can both create goals for themselves, the other forwards on our books cannot, at least to the same degree or quality.

Relying on Stead & Maynard being together is a mistake, it may never happen. Vokes is only with us until January as a Stead replacement. We have no Maynard replacement........... there's the story.

You are part of an increasingly dwindling minority, I will be looking forward to you and the others eating your words.

Whilst I certainly dont endorse the tone of the post you quote, I am still yet to be convinced by Millen.

Making the switch back to a flat back four was a necessity he deserves great credit for, and granted we've had good back to back performances vs Reading and QPR. However we are still bottom and if we fail to build from here, perhaps win one of the next four or five for example, we are still firmly in the mire.

The Reading performance was very encouraging and I was pleased for the point against QPR, but our form before this week has ensured that we have little room for patting ourselves on the backs. If we lose the next two this week will be a very distant memory very quickly.

For me that's realism rather than negativity.

EDIT: The thought of a Maynard and Stead partnership is mouth-watering.

• Admin
Haynes , Clarkeson and Pitman are not the answer to Maynard and never will be. Maynard and Stead can both create goals for themselves, the other forwards on our books cannot, at least to the same degree or quality.

Relying on Stead & Maynard being together is a mistake, it may never happen. Vokes is only with us until January as a Stead replacement. We have no Maynard replacement........... there's the story.

With the greatest respect r'n'r, how many teams in this division (barring cardiff who don't pay their bills anyway) could afford to have a ready made replacement for a £5m+ rated striker just sitting round waiting for a long term injury to hit him?

Whilst I certainly dont endorse the tone of the post you quote, I am still yet to be convinced by Millen.

Making the switch back to a flat back four was a necessity he deserves great credit for, and granted we've had good back to back performances vs Reading and QPR. However we are still bottom and if we fail to build from here, perhaps win one of the next four or five for example, we are still firmly in the mire.

The Reading performance was very encouraging and I was pleased for the point against QPR, but our form before this week has ensured that we have little room for patting ourselves on the backs. If we lose the next two this week will be a very distant memory very quickly.

For me that's realism rather than negativity.

EDIT: The thought of a Maynard and Stead partnership is mouth-watering.

I agree with all your points, mine was meant to convey that I believe that KM is starting to turn the team around and is not a "numpty" as Terjon so eloquently put it.

Your point about the defeats in the next two games just reinforces what I was saying in my original post, it was important to get a result in the QPR game even a draw, as we need to get an unbeaten run going for the teams confidence.

I know it can be frustrating to see us apparently sitting back on a 1 goal lead, but we need to be careful to run before we can walk. If we had lost Friday after that performance it could have been shattering. Also those that are complaining about the "defensive" substitution are completely ignoring the number of chances we created from that more defensive formation.

I did wonder why he didn't freshen up the team with further substitions, but I can see that if he felt those on the pitch were showing the kind of focus he required, that he would be loathe to change too much.

Comments like Terjons just give the impression that he would prefer us to lose just to get rid of Millen, I hope that is a wrong impression.

Haynes , Clarkeson and Pitman are not the answer to Maynard and never will be. Maynard and Stead can both create goals for themselves, the other forwards on our books cannot, at least to the same degree or quality.

Bit early to write off Pitman as a Maynard replacement.

I'd have thought he was likely signed with that very purpose in mind with City signing a similarly successful lower league goalscorer who they could nurture into a predatory Championship striker.

Someone to grow into the role, not necessarily overnight.

Presuming he recovers and we have an uneventful season it is quite likely Maynard will be gone by the start of next season and a combination of the experienced Stead and settled in Pitman looks very much on the cards.

We certainly haven't seen enough to say Pitman will never replace Maynard - he might not be quite so good, but there again it is unlikely we'll find anyone who has all the qualities of an exceptional player like NM.

I'd have thought he was likely signed with that very purpose in mind with City signing a similarly successful lower league goalscorer who they could nurture into a predatory Championship striker.

Presuming he recovers and we have an uneventful season it is quite likely Maynard will be gone by the start of next season and a combination of the experienced Stead and settled in Pitman looks very much on the cards.

We certainly haven't seen enough to say Pitman will never replace Maynard - he might not be quite so good, but there again it is unlikely we'll find anyone who has all the qualities of an exceptional player like NM.

Sensible points Nogbad, those who are writing off Pitman have clearly forgotten NM's quiet start to the Championship and the criticism he received in some quarters, give the guy a chance.

Well said. And if anybody thinks Pitman cannot create goals for himself they haven't seen the goals he scored for Bournemouth from all sorts of positions and distances.

A good friend of mine is also a sponsor with the club and had a good chat with John on Friday.

Stead said that the reason his form was so good at the moment was because although he has played for a fair few clubs, he's never felt at home as much as he does now. He thought the club spirit was good and he had no concerns about us being relegated, as he thinks we have some of the most talented indviduals he's played with.

He was also asked about the linking up with Maynard and he said that playing with Nicky was one of the biggest attractions of coming, as after watching him for a couple of seasons, he feels he's the ideal foil to his own play. My mate then half heartidly said what if Nicky goes in January and Stead just flatly replied 'He's not going anywhere in January'. Perhaps Big Jon knows something!!!

nice to hear

does anyone know when Maynards contract runs out ? Either end of this season or next

Archived