IGNORED

The Playoffs ?

Rednready

We are just 9 points away from Reading in 6th place.

Thats how compressed our division is ! We have around 32 matches remaining to make up just 9 points.

We have just come off competitive matches against Cardiff, Reading, QPR and M'Bro with 7 points at 1.75 points per game.

My question is, can we sustain this progress, will the return of Maynard, the January transfer market, and the release of surplus players assist our clubs progress.

Nine points catch up to a play off position. It is mathmatically possible, but can we actually achieve the almost impossible ?

There is a lot of football to be played between now and then; and while I don't think we are as bad as our current position would suggest; nor do I believe we are good enough yet to start talking about playoffs....

At the moment; all but a few clubs seem unable to string more than a few wins together; but that won't last and as happens in most seasons the league will settle.

More importantly is to get through November without too much damage. Wins at Home with Preston and Leicester are a must, because wins away to Leeds and Swansea will be hard to come by. If we can get 9 or 10 points from November, I think we will have done well, but it won't take us much beyond the bottom half of the table...

Really? And I mean really? I have always been a glass half full kind of person and you have to be to support this club. But we have to keep adding points to our tally and concentrate on shifting ourselfs out of the lower reaches of the league before we can even contemplate talking about the 'P' word.

Whilst I love the positivity, I think we should focus on gradually climbing the league table first. This is NOT a lack of ambition/negativity, but after the poor start we have had- I really can't see us making the play offs this season. It is mathematically possible, but it would take a hell of a change in form. The good news is that the players are now looking committed and up for a fight and I firmly believe that we won't we go down. Having said that, this is a very tight division and depending what happens in January etc you never know (this is city afterall). But in summary, I think that considering the start it is a big ASK and I would be very surprised to see BCFC in the top 6. Top 12 is more realistic after our start!

We currently have 13 points and working on the assumption that 72-75 points is about the total usually needed for a top six finish, we'd need to get around 60-65 points from our 32 remaining games.

In other words, we need title winning form for the rest of the season to have any chance... Not impossible I guess, but extremely unlikely and unrealistic imho.

Not much chance at all I'd say. As someone has pointed out, it would need title winning form.

Let's be happy with staying in the division, picking up as many points as possible.

With our current form we should hopefully move out the lower reaches quite quickly. But the further you move up the table the harder it is to climb over other teams as they predictably pick up more points compared to those teams towards the bottom of the table.

We currently have 13 points and working on the assumption that 72-75 points is about the total usually needed for a top six finish, we'd need to get around 60-65 points from our 32 remaining games.

But there again it means that the team in 6th place( 9 points above us) still have to get 55-60 points for them to stay there.

Im not saying that we do have a realistic chance at all but this is a very strange league and anything can happen.

Any team that can put a run of wins together can all of a sudden rocket up this league.

Shall we reflect on this:-

With Keith Millen in charge, anything is possible.

Whilst the Championship title is not within our own control (we have to rely on Cardiff not winning every game from now until May), we could indeed win the division.

Equally, relegation in last place is possible.

Me? I think we will finish somewhere between 2nd and 23rd.

...... infact, I would put Steve Lansdown's money on it.

:bounce:

"I'll just fetch my coat ..........."

Lets get to target #1, 54 points. When we hopefully get it we can readdress the situation depending on how long its taken us.

x 2.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, need to get out of the relegation zone and climb the league first and foremost

Thats how compressed our division is ! We have around 32 matches remaining to make up just 9 points.

We have just come off competitive matches against Cardiff, Reading, QPR and M'Bro with 7 points at 1.75 points per game.

My question is, can we sustain this progress, will the return of Maynard, the January transfer market, and the release of surplus players assist our clubs progress.

Nine points catch up to a play off position. It is mathmatically possible, but can we actually achieve the almost impossible ?

It certainly is possible and considering our shocking start to the season, but Reading are just nine points away, well that can be turned round in no time at all. The thing is that whilst we are in the relegation zone still, I for one feel that the 'bottom of the table can't get a win' monkey is off the players back now and they are up and running finally, so why should talk of the play offs be out of the question so early into the season? The side is more than capable of a play off position, in my opinion, and with the January transfer window still to come and that elusive quality midfielder hopefully added to the ranks there should and could be no stopping us!

No way Jose!

Thankyou all for your thoughts. All without using words like idiot and moron.

Personally I would be happy if we made it to 10th, as we have the past 2 seasons. That would need around 62 points

TomF, makes it possible with an oblique reference. Objective 1, 54 points. Now we have 32 matches remaining at 1.54 points, is 49 +our current 13 = 62 points.

Thanks to Tom we have the equation to reach a respectable 62 points.:innocent06:

A good (thoughtful) thread.

I share the majority view on this topic. All I expect from this season is survival in the Second Division (as I still think of it, showing my age to you young'uns).

If we end up the season in the Top 10 then of course I will be delighted, In the (unlikely) event that we make the play-offs, I will be as up for it as all of us.

I am sure that SL sees this season as a staging post. Frankly, all that matters is that we don't go down.

After the last three games, I say - No Chance Of Relegation !

In fact, as I said on another thread. if we win on Saturday (as I forecast we will) then we are likely to leave the relegation zone and ( I am confident) we will never be there again this season.

Our squad (and in particular the current winning team) are far too good to go down.

Hopefully Milly will start an unchanged side Saturday.

long way to go.

Just gotta play one game at a time.

Ouch - medic! I just got shot by a cliche rifle....

Seriously though, it would be great to reach the playoffs - I for one would be over the moon. If we were to go down mind, I would be as sick as a parrot. Afterall, its a funny old game. Let's just keep our feet fimly on the ground, and reach for the stars.

Just been trawling through the record books and 3 seasons ago after 14 games Palace had w2 d6 l6 giving them 12 points, one less than we currently have. Just shows it can be done. Not saying it will but it shows where positive momentum can take you.

Ouch - medic! I just got shot by a cliche rifle....

Seriously though, it would be great to reach the playoffs - I for one would be over the moon. If we were to go down mind, I would be as sick as a parrot. Afterall, its a funny old game. Let's just keep our feet fimly on the ground, and reach for the stars.

What he said. Let's just get this brook babbling before we all end up looking like doe-eyed labradors.

Cardiff have beaten us and are top

Norwich hammered us at home and are fifth

Watford beat us

Portsmouth beat us

Millwall hammered us at home

Ipswich beat us

On that form we are not good enough to finish in the top six. The team need to concentrate on beating Preston to get us out of the bottom three. Any thoughts of the play-offs should be banished until they have consistently shown some form....three good games does not make a season. We have seen more poor performances than good so far. Of course we all dream odf the playoffs and automatic promotion but there are more than six sides in this division that are better than us at the moment.

Bump : We are now 7 points from the playoffs and my concern is Leeds. They played tuesday and will have an extra day to recover. At our level that is huge. I think it may prove a tougher game than Swansea.

We are however on a good run, and the end of November may well see us half way up the table. The other equation says we are just 3 points from bottom place.

Archived