IGNORED

Nicky Maynard

glynriley

great news he's slowly getting there although hopefully unlike in previous years like with Brooker we don't have to rush him back league position wise or feel that urgent to rush a player back into football. Maynard scored many of his 21 goals with his own magic now with stead really can't wait!

Why did we buy Pitman?

Maybe to fill his boots when NM moves on, because if he continues his progress from last season he will be destined for the PL sooner or later.

Lets not forget Maynard took a season to settle in to Championship footie... Pitman was just getting used to L1 when we signed him!

Good news indeed but the lad has a long way to go yet. He just doing his basic fitness with straight line running the real test for the knee will come when he has to start twisting and putting the joint under real stress. fingers crossed.

Why did we buy Pitman?

As much as I'd love to keep him, we all know in our hearts that Nicky Maynard will probably end up - and deserves to end up - in the Premier League in one way or another. And as it's unlikely that we're going to go up this season, it's more than likely he'll end up being sold at the end of the season.

If we remember back, Maynard took more than half a season to settle in - in fact his first year here didn't bring him much success, and it was really his second season in which he shone.

I think buying Brett Pitman is an investment. I think the management have assessed that we'll lose Maynard, that we'll probably need a new striker next season and that it will take a while to settle in, both to the squad and to the syle of play.

Pitman will have a whole season to settle in and get to know the squad and the players, and hopefully, as the season progresses, will get more game time to adapt to the division. By the time next season starts, he and Stead could be firing on all cylinders together.

...'course, I could be wrong and it could just be that Millen don't fancy him. Take your pick!

I'm in two minds whether we'll lose Maynard at the end of the season. If he comes back at the end of January say, and hits in 5 or so goals then yes, I reckon he'll leave, but if he comes back and struggles after his injury, then I'm not too sure any Prem club will gamble £5million + on him and will wait till January or end of the next season.

As much as I'd love to keep him, we all know in our hearts that Nicky Maynard will probably end up - and deserves to end up - in the Premier League in one way or another. And as it's unlikely that we're going to go up this season, it's more than likely he'll end up being sold at the end of the season.

If we remember back, Maynard took more than half a season to settle in - in fact his first year here didn't bring him much success, and it was really his second season in which he shone.

I think buying Brett Pitman is an investment. I think the management have assessed that we'll lose Maynard, that we'll probably need a new striker next season and that it will take a while to settle in, both to the squad and to the syle of play.

Pitman will have a whole season to settle in and get to know the squad and the players, and hopefully, as the season progresses, will get more game time to adapt to the division. By the time next season starts, he and Stead could be firing on all cylinders together.

...'course, I could be wrong and it could just be that Millen don't fancy him. Take your pick!

Maynard did take a year to develop, but in that year he played a hell of a lot of football and still found the net 11 times. It doesn't look like Pitman will be playing anything like as much as Maynard did so obviously his progress will be less significant in the first season.

Is Maynard really Prem standard? What sort of club do you think would be interested in buying him?

I think he is - there are few players around with the finishing quality of maynard, who are young, english, and with a good attitude - he carried us last season. There are any number of clubs who could take a punt on him, Fulham, Sunderland, Newcastle, Birmingham, Wolves, then the Blackburns and Boltons of the world (crap northern teams who dont contribute anything to football).

What I would say, after seeing the 1m per month losses, is why would we spend about 1 million on Pitman plus his salary for someone with future potential, throwing £140k at Akinde isnt the end of the world, but I dont think we can afford to spend that much on a striker to be playing in the reserves.

Maynard did take a year to develop, but in that year he played a hell of a lot of football and still found the net 11 times. It doesn't look like Pitman will be playing anything like as much as Maynard did so obviously his progress will be less significant in the first season.

Correct, and I tried to make that point. Pitman hasn't played that much yet, but hopefully he'll get more games as the season progresses. But I also don't think it's entirely about games. Settling into a club and learning the other players style of play in training makes a big difference. Although, as does coming up against the type of defenders in this division, too.

Archived