IGNORED

Yellow Cards - Too Broad A Spectrum?

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

Surely the authorities should look at cards as punishment, Preston's No11 took Adomah out as cynically as I've ever seen, gets a yellow card - the same as taking off a shirt when celebrating a goal!!

I appreciate the yellow card was all the Ref could dish out today, but it did appear as if one by one the Preston players were willing to take one for the team and take our players out.

Surely the authorities should look at cards as punishment, Preston's No11 took Adomah out as cynically as I've ever seen, gets a yellow card - the same as taking off a shirt when celebrating a goal!!

I appreciate the yellow card was all the Ref could dish out today, but it did appear as if one by one the Preston players were willing to take one for the team and take our players out.

That number 11 should have gone - with the studs up it was a clear sending off offence. That said, I see where you are coming from, and it isn't right that the current system means that cynicism and celebration are met with the same punishment.

I'd be disapointed if we didn't do the same thing in those situations.

That was a studs up challenge which Albert was lucky to not get injured from. Was a clear red and a cynical foul, disgusting tackle. I know you could say it was the right thing to do in the situation but a stronger ref would have given red in that case, and there comes a line at which you can condone tactical fouling, and that went beyond it today.

If you are not in full control of the challenge then it is a straight red. With your studs up it is impossible to be in control and hence it is a sending off offence.

There is nothing in the laws about "full control", that is not true. The sending off offences are:

• serious foul play

• violent conduct

• spitting at an opponent or any other person

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity

by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within

his own penalty area)

• denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving

towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a

penalty kick

• using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

• receiving a second caution in the same match

The challenge on Adomah was cynical but it was not a sending off offence.

He didn't go in studs up or go through him, he tripped him.

It looked to me like he just slid in as normal, but obviously far too late for the ball and deliberately hooked Albert's foot to trip him. I'll watch the replay and if it really was that high then fair enough. I'm in the D Block of the Dolman BTW so I saw it close but with the Preston player the other side of Albert.

Archived