IGNORED

Major New Evidence In Stadium Bid?

Red Cloud

I don't agree with you Venus but I don't thank people are going to bite your head off about it as you've been very fair in your posts,

If it goes to a council vote then the scheme will go ahead there is just fair to much riding on this scheme,

At the risk of getting my head bitten off, I don't think that it's wrong in principle for ordinary people to be able to use the law to their advantage. The wealthy do it all the time.

We cannot have the situation where only the wealthy are able to use the laws of the land to suit their own aims.

I know everybody is p*ssed off about the 22 dog walkers potentially scuppering the new stadium, but it's an important principle that the 22 dog walkers had a law that they could turn to. One day, we may all be glad that laws such as this one exist.

You are right that it is good that people have rights in this country but these people are abusing a law because it was badly written and misunderstood.

You can guarantee next year this legislation will be completely re-written to stop the abuse but I'm afraid that will be too late for us.

Don't forget, this sort of application is happening all over the country backed by Green activists.

BCAGFC

If the City Council does not register the land as Village Green, and the locals set about mounting an appeal, do they stand to lose out in any way (financially?) if they do not succeed? It seems to me that the ability to launch applications for Village Green status is quite simple, but there should be penalties attached to it IF if has been done just to try to hold up an otherwise legitimate scheme just because they don't agree with it.

So I suppose I am asking - if they appeal and lose, shouldn't they be culpable for wasting so much time and money?

It seems wrong to be able to start things like this off with no come back at all.

Whoever loses the decision they have the right to appeal. So the AV residents could appeal the decision by the council but they would be liable for ALL costs involved in the appeal should they lose it. We'd be talking hundreds of thousands of pounds.

City would face the same if they wanted to appeal.

I do think that the tree huggers would have had a stronger case had they said they used a portion of the land for their dog walking etc.

42 acres is a big area, and they have to show that the "whole" area was used by a significant number of people.

I'm amazed that the inspector in her original report thought this had been shown.

At the risk of getting my head bitten off, I don't think that it's wrong in principle for ordinary people to be able to use the law to their advantage. The wealthy do it all the time.

We cannot have the situation where only the wealthy are able to use the laws of the land to suit their own aims.

I know everybody is p*ssed off about the 22 dog walkers potentially scuppering the new stadium, but it's an important principle that the 22 dog walkers had a law that they could turn to. One day, we may all be glad that laws such as this one exist.

No we cant have wealth determined legal system but we can have repercussions for exploiting the law for personal gain, we already do in-fact, but strangely these don't apply to Village green applications.

If you click on the reform tab on the "Campaign for real Village greens" site > www.campaignforrealvillagegreens.org.uk there is a comprehensive list of ways that the law could be changed to prevent Bogus claims, false selling (listing of land) etc... that the current laws permit.

Is it not the case though that BCC could declare the area to be turned into a wetland / recreational area town green, and allow the stadium site. Surely they cant get 42 acres of town green when so few of them use it. Thats about an acre each! for free!

If the council refuse to allow the land to be a Village Green - which I believe will happen - The applicants (The residents) can and almost certainly will appeal.

They will have to fund this plus any costs awarded if they lose, but i don't think this will be a problem for them

Their cause will be a green rallying call and every green/open space/environmetal/Rural England/wildlife etc group and high profile celebrity green minded inviduals (Bono types) will rush to financially support the gallant fight by 22 "little men" battling against the Corporate Big Business Property Development Machine driven by the tax avoiding multi-millionaire offshore resident.

CR

We'd be talking hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The AV residents are being bankrolled by an anonymous benefactor (GF or that Gas lawyer?) aren't they?.

Don't think cash would stop them, after all they have Tony Dyer, the Green Party, Friends Of The Earth and many other organisations behind them.

BCAGFC

Whoever loses the decision they have the right to appeal. So the AV residents could appeal the decision by the council but they would be liable for ALL costs involved in the appeal should they lose it. We'd be talking hundreds of thousands of pounds.

City would face the same if they wanted to appeal.

This will surely sober them up a bit. I mean, it's one thing to start the ball rolling but will they risk bankruptcy for that patch of scrub?

The AV residents are being bankrolled by an anonymous benefactor (GF or that Gas lawyer?) aren't they?.

Don't think cash would stop them, after all they have Tony Dyer, the Green Party, Friends Of The Earth and many other organisations behind them.

BCAGFC

George isn't against the stadium, he just doesn't agree with the sainsburys aspect.

Point taken, but in this case this bunch of puerile non-entities are just hiding behind a selfishly invented smoke screen.

I feel pretty sure that if the developement had been for a 100 private houses, or even another trading estate, there would have been hardly a murmur.

Afterall, urban areas do have this tendency to expand.

What's the matter with taking their pooches just a few stone throws away in a beautiful expanse of land called Ashton Court.

"We don't want a football stadium in our back garden" they really say!

Exactly for how many years have they been planning a "Village Green"???

What a bunch of TO55ERS disapointed2se.gif

Surely the village green protesters have claimed to have used the whole 42 acres for at least 20 years.We all know this is untrue,but based on this the inspector has given her recomendation.All City have to do,is to prove that parts of the site have not, there for making the recomendation flawed. :fingerscrossed:

If the council refuse to allow the land to be a Village Green - which I believe will happen - The applicants (The residents) can and almost certainly will appeal.

They will have to fund this plus any costs awarded if they lose, but i don't think this will be a problem for them

Their cause will be a green rallying call and every green/open space/environmetal/Rural England/wildlife etc group and high profile celebrity green minded inviduals (Bono types) will rush to financially support the gallant fight by 22 "little men" battling against the Corporate Big Business Property Development Machine driven by the tax avoiding multi-millionaire offshore resident.

CR

You have their tactics off to a tee, are you sure you are not one of them.:whistle2:

As I said in my rather long post above

The club's main tactic to succeed is to put he council under pressure.

note the final comment on their news release today:

We understand that Bristol City Council is not bound to follow any particular route or course of action, and that all options remain open to the Council in terms of how to proceed."

Unquote

In other words they are saying - forget the report it's up to you (the council) to make the decision and the whole of Bristol is watching and waiting

CR

Surely the village green protesters have claimed to have used the whole 42 acres for at least 20 years.We all know this is untrue,but based on this the inspector has given her recomendation.All City have to do,is to prove that parts of the site have not, there for making the recomendation flawed. :fingerscrossed:

Very difficult to prove they havn't used the site though. One group of people's word against another.

There's nothing documented either way.

That's why the club is putting the council under pressure (petition high profile campaign etc) to reject the report because they don't think

the inspector will come to any different conclusion.

CR

As I said in my rather long post above

The club's main tactic to succeed is to put he council under pressure.

note the final comment on their news release today:

We understand that Bristol City Council is not bound to follow any particular route or course of action, and that all options remain open to the Council in terms of how to proceed."

Unquote

In other words they are saying - forget the report it's up to you (the council) to make the decision and the whole of Bristol is watching and waiting

CR

Summed up brilliantly. The ball is firmly in their court, hopefully it won't be cocked up this time.

In my opinion, it is far better for the rights of way committee to decide a positive outcome, without the expected influence from the independent green party activists at a full councill meeting.

Interesting.... Is today the last day to add to the petition or is it still ongoing?

As you can see both petitions (for & against) are set to run into December.....

In Support of Ashton Vale Village Green Bristol City Council Sat, 25 Dec 1003

Bristol wants a new stadium not a "village green" Bristol City Council Fri, 31 Dec 1481

current support numbers for each are highlighted .... we are almost 500 better supported than theirs .... pretty impressive eh?

OOP'S silly me - I seem to have overlooked the odd couple of Tens of Thousands:

OUR TRUE CURRENT FIGURE is ... 21,481 (a mere 20 odd thousand lead over the village idiots!)

I gotta be honest the campaign to get peoples signitures to support the stadium, is some what dissapointing (not taking away anything from all involved in organising it)

If i was on the decision board. I would be like 22k have said they want a stadium out of 422k that live in bristol. So 5% of the city want the stadium. Hmmmmm not exactly likely to sway any weight behind the bid. Its not even enough to fill the new stadium.

I think we need to up the ante. Any ideas?

I gotta be honest the campaign to get peoples signitures to support the stadium, is some what dissapointing (not taking away anything from all involved in organising it)

If i was on the decision board. I would be like 22k have said they want a stadium out of 422k that live in bristol. So 5% of the city want the stadium. Hmmmmm not exactly likely to sway any weight behind the bid. Its not even enough to fill the new stadium.

I think we need to up the ante. Any ideas?

compare the 22k who want the stadium to the 1k who want the 'village green'

BCAGFC

Ok but a good example to look at here is Bristol Airport- Multimillion pound extension increasing the number of flights allowed recently given the go-ahead despite strong opposition from Stop Bristol Airport Campaign, who had various green backing, etc. They are not appealing the decision, despite worries that they would.

The impact of the airport on the environment is much bigger than the impact of the stadium, so I would not be so sure they will come out in their droves to bankroll an appeal.

city.gifcity.gif

Archived