IGNORED

East End Racist Chants

Tom Fleuriot

I was planning on sticking my tuppence worth in on the racism thread, but can't now.

So my question is, why has this thread been locked - because Admin are a bit bored with people still commenting on it?

I felt it was the most interesting thread I've read on otib in a ridiculously long time, with lots of viewpoints from both sides testing boundaries and trying to make sense of something. Granted, there were some ridiculous insults from both sides but it's exactly the kind of broad debate that I'd like to see more of on this forum and I thought it was good that DaveL's blog post kicked off such discussion.

No comment on racism here (although I probably would do if the thread got reopened). My question is, in what context is it acceptable for admin to shut down a thread and what was the basis for doing it on this occasion? I can't see how continued discussion is an acceptable justification. Please explain.

(edit - typos, syntax and spelling)

• Admin

I was planning on sticking my tuppence worth in on the racism thread, but can't now.

So my question is, why has this thread been locked - because Admin are a bit bored with people still commenting on it?

I felt it was the most interesting thread I've read on otib in a ridiculously long time, with lots of viewpoints from both sides testing boundaries and trying to make sense of something. Granted, there were some ridiculous insults from both sides but it's exactly the kind of broad debate that I'd like to see more of on this forum and I thought it was good that DaveL's blog post kicked off such discussion.

No comment on racism here (although I probably would do if the thread got reopened). My question is, in what context is it acceptable for admin to shut down a thread and what was the basis for doing it on this occasion? I can't see how continued discussion is an acceptable justification. Please explain.

(edit - typos, syntax and spelling)

Because it had gone off topic, (City related), was degenerating into abuse and had started to go round in circles.

Archived