IGNORED

Current Team/squad Better Than 2008 P/o Final?

Bar BS3

Whilst it is pretty obvious, it makes interesting reading to see just how much our team has changed since that heartbreaking day in North London.

I can't seem to copy and paste from it, but the last paragraph from this article

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10327~2245964,00.html

Shows that only Marv and Jamie Mac, should be starting from the line up from the final.

Now, i think it is universally aknowledged that we did over achieve that season (credit to all involved for that being the case) but looking at the quality in the team now, player Vs player, i am sure we are stronger, with more strength in depth as a squad aswell. The biggest difference is surely that we now have goals in our team, the thing that probably cost us in that play off season.

Anyhow, i just thought it was an interesting comparisson and makes a bit of a joke of those that claim we are treading water as a club!

:englandsmile4wf:

Whilst it is pretty obvious, it makes interesting reading to see just how much our team has changed since that heartbreaking day in North London.

I can't seem to copy and paste from it, but the last paragraph from this article

http://www.bcfc.co.u...2245964,00.html

Shows that only Marv and Jamie Mac, should be starting from the line up from the final.

Now, i think it is universally aknowledged that we did over achieve that season (credit to all involved for that being the case) but looking at the quality in the team now, player Vs player, i am sure we are stronger, with more strength in depth as a squad aswell. The biggest difference is surely that we now have goals in our team, the thing that probably cost us in that play off season.

Anyhow, i just thought it was an interesting comparisson and makes a bit of a joke of those that claim we are treading water as a club!

We have far better players now - but that side had more balance and was more hard-working - this side has big holes in it.

Now we need a left back - back then McAllister was very good.

Our midfield is also lack a ball player instead of elliott or skuse.

But we are very close to having a very good team

If you take the players, which one would actually walk into the team now?

Basso - No, james is a much better keeper than basso, would be useful to have as a back up keeper.

Orr, - I personally wouldnt, i didnt rate him as right back but expect many would.

Carle, - No, where is he even at now.

McIndoe, - No, again where is he even at now.

Noble, - No, has probably found his decent level at exeter.

Adebola - No, dele must be well past his best now.

Trundle. - Think we all know the answer to this, no.

Basso - No, james is a much better keeper than basso, would be useful to have as a back up keeper.

Orr, - I personally wouldnt, i didnt rate him as right back but expect many would.

Despite the 'where are they now?' comments, I think Orr would still be our first choice right back, and that McIndoe would be playing on the left if he was still at the standard he was three seasons ago. Carle might have a shout at a central midfield berth. As to the others, we've improved on Basso, Adebola and Trundle and as for David Noble - much as I loved the geezer, heaven knows how you accommodate him in a professional football club (Exeter are having the same problems we did...).

Nick Carle is at Sydney FC.

McIndoe on loan to MK Dons from Cov if I'm correct..

If we're taking about how good they are now, I'd have Orr and possibly Carle and Noble but obviously it's hard to judge as I've no idea what kind of standard Carle is playing at now and haven't seen much of Noble for obvious reasons. If however we're talking about how good they were then, I'd have Orr, Noble and McIndoe starting and Carle, Basso and possibly Trundle or Adebola in the squad.

I thaught this last season even though we wernt playing well. We've gone through a major transition period. Our 1st season up we were full of league 1 players playing their hearts out in every game. The next seasons were spent drafting in average championship players all technically better but with out the passion,(concolidation seasons/becoming established championsip team). Now we basically have a team full of good championship players, some of which very good and potential Premier League players. Its a steady improvement. Which I believe was always the plan when we got promoted. Our team even though the results didn't seem it has been improving.

Perhaps someone would care to explain this Noble "love in" nonsense.

We signed him from Boston, he's now often a sub at Exeter City and has had a pretty poor availability record throughout his career and obvious fitness issues.

Why on earth does anyone think he would improve our current set up? He was never a big creator of assists (unlike McIndoe) his goals per season record was always so so and if he is that great then why is his career going nowhere?

No different from Gavin Williams in truth........

The interesting thing for me about this thread is what determines the quality of the squad?

In the play-off season we were in the top 2 for long periods and comfortably made the play offs and could/should have had automatic promotion.

We are currently in the bottom half the table (albeit on a very good run) and haven't troubled the top 6 all season.

IMO whatever opinion you have of various players the facts speak for themselves the squad performed better in the play off season so was better.

Before you can say this players better than that they have to prove it and as a squad we haven't for the last 2 seasons.

To the players: you need to show how good you are not just tell me football is all about results reputations, transfer fees, wages etc count for nothing you have to do it on the pitch and the players did in our play off season.

Were 2 1/2 years on so don't compare how the players are today or where they are playing today compare what they did in that season.

On paper our current squad is much better, unfortunately football isn't played on paper and as a team, the P/O team were a better side.

Lets put it this way, if the two sets of teams were to play each other, you would probably put a bet on the team we have now, but the P/O team would win. If that makes sense . . . Haha.

On paper our current squad is much better, unfortunately football isn't played on paper and as a team, the P/O team were a better side.

Lets put it this way, if the two sets of teams were to play each other, you would probably put a bet on the team we have now, but the P/O team would win. If that makes sense . . . Haha.

Perfect sense

not sure if this will make sense,

Players are better but the team isn't,

In our play off year the team worked hard for each other and were a tight unit,

now we have some great players but the teamwork isn't quite there,

Give them another month of blending then I think we'll start seeing the best out of them we need to ship out but we shouldn't sign to many plyaer on or two maybe 3 max but not 11 like we did in the summer that was part of the reason we started so poor

Then

....................... Basso ................................

Orr ......... Carey .............. Fontaine ....... McAllister

Noble ....... Carle ............... Elliott .......... McIndoe

............ Adebola .............. Trundle ..................

Subs: Weale, Vasko, Johnson, Sproule, Byfield

Now:

....................... James ................................

Ribeiro ..... Carey .............. Fontaine ....... McAllister

Adomah ...... Skuse .............. Elliott ............ Haynes

............. Stead............... Maynard

Subs: Gerken, Stewart, Nyntanga, Johnson, Campbell-Ryce, Pitman, Clarkson

obviously havn't included our loanees and therefore tried putting together a likely team not my own choice personally, how many people would choose the said then over the side now?

http://www.bcfc.co.u...2245964,00.html

A central midfielder who is a playmaker and an experienced central defender to complement Caulker and the 2007/08 team would experience another heavy defeat if it wasen't for Adriano Basso.

Then

....................... Basso ................................

Orr ......... Carey .............. Fontaine ....... McAllister

Noble ....... Carle ............... Elliott .......... McIndoe

............ Adebola .............. Trundle ..................

Subs: Weale, Vasko, Johnson, Sproule, Byfield

Now:

....................... James ................................

Ribeiro ..... Caulker .............. Fontaine ....... McAllister

Adomah ...... Elliot .............. Johnson ............ Campbell-Ryce

............. Stead............... Maynard

Subs: Gerken, Stewart, Rose, Skuse, Campbell-Ryce, Pitman, Clarkson

I've made a few modifications on the basis of there's no need to take away the loanees as we're comparing that season to this one surely and there here until the final day I assume?

New team is much better than play off season imo, just need to get competition at left back and a championship standard play maker.

Our squad has got better year on year with a big improvement in depth this season, huge if you include Caulker, Rose & Vokes.

As I've said repeatedly, it's all about confidence. Coppell left (still don't know why) and we hit rock bottom. Millen didn't start well but held his nerve and, with Caulker and LJ, we turned it around in one game.

We're riding our luck a bit, but only in a way that makes up for the last season and a half.

And yes, the Championship has got a lot tougher.

Our squad has got better year on year with a big improvement in depth this season, huge if you include Caulker, Rose & Vokes.

As I've said repeatedly, it's all about confidence. Coppell left (still don't know why) and we hit rock bottom. Millen didn't start well but held his nerve and, with Caulker and LJ, we turned it around in one game.

We're riding our luck a bit, but only in a way that makes up for the last season and a half.

And yes, the Championship has got a lot tougher.

Spot on. I think the squad as a whole has improved immeasurably since the P/O final, unfortunately the standard has gotten even higher in the Championship. Can`t keep looking back but it`s been said so many times, one more can`t hurt, Coppellgate hurt us big time. But it speaks volumes about the squad in general and the hard work by KM and team that we find ourselves turning things around. By no means the finished article and we certainly can`t afford to get too over confident. I havn`t been to as many games as i`d have liked lately, in fact most of my trips this season were before this run of good form, but from the snippets i`ve seen and reports from my chief scout (the old man) we`ve been playing some very good football albeit with some shaky defensive moments. The team ethic appears to be returning and that can only be good news.

I have no doubt that the current side would run out comfortable winners against the P/O side.

PDG

The current team is way better than the PO team which did overacheive, and did get found out at the end of the season hence only getting Pray offs...

Only guy I would keep who has left since is Orr, who was a rock during last seasons awful run. frankly the rest were League 1 players except Adebola, who was past it when he came here and wasnt worth signing. We could and should have signed someone better.

Archived