IGNORED

Trains To Cardiff

StapleHillPhil

I've just rang Wessex Trains regarding additional train services for next week only to be told they are planning absolutely nothing.

The excuse I was given was a lack of rolling stock in the area.

For anybody travelling from the West of Bristol this is a complete disaster as the the first train you can possibly travel on takes you as far as Bristol and then you'd be forced to join the end of a 1000 strong queue down the ramp.

If you want to kick up a stink their number is 0845 6000 880.

or

customer.services@wessextrains.co.uk

A reply from Wessex Trains.....

Thank you for contacting Wessex Trains regarding extra services to Cardiff on

30 May.

I am sorry to inform you that at the moment we do not envisage operating any

extra trains, however we will attempt to strengthen as many services as

possible.

We only have sufficient rolling stock available to maintain our timetabled

services and most of our fleet undertakes maintenance on a Sunday so they

are ready for Monday morning.

Regrettably there is no suitable stock available for lease and even if there

were the cost to hire, maintain and crew the services would far out way the

financial return.

The other big problem is the ability of Network Rail at such short notice in

finding additional paths through the Severn Tunnel in addition to the normal

services.

There are numerous charter train operators who would be pleased to hire out

their trains to the football clubs and perhaps you could put pressure on the

clubs concerned.

I am sorry that Wessex Trains are unable to help you further on this occasion.

Yours sincerely

Peter Watkinson

Customer Services

customer.services@wessextrains.co.uk

This is not good news!

I take it when we went to the LDV Final last season they decided not to maintain any of their rolling stock on that Sunday! As if I remember rightly they ran them every 15/20 mins from Temple Meads during the morning.

That stinks mate. Suppose we'll have to join the thousands extra on the roads :rolleyes:

You still going on the train from Bridgy or will you have to drive?

Not sure yet. Still hoping for a change of heart from the good folks at Wessex Trains.

If the worst comes to the worst its an early morning taxi (£50?) or maybe booking into the cheapest hotel Bristol has to offer on the Saturday night.

Chuck in the match ticket, petrol, food, and drink, and this is looking like a £200 football match!

Not sure yet. Still hoping for a change of heart from the good folks at Wessex Trains.

If the worst comes to the worst its an early morning taxi (£50?) or maybe booking into the cheapest hotel Bristol has to offer on the Saturday night.

Chuck in the match ticket, petrol, food, and drink, and this is looking like a £200 football match!

I emailed you earlier and to cut a long story (email!) short I'm probably going to be driving from Southampton. So unfortunately I can't really offer you a lift, especially as I'll be leaving mid morning, not earlier.

Good luck in trying to persuade Wessex trains to sort themselves out!

that's unbelievable.

Baring in mind for last season's LDV game by 9am the queue had gone from the side platform, around the back car park, through the building and all the way to back to the main road they are inviting trouble.

Ticket allocation means slightly fewer this season but no extra services!?!

Surprised the police wouldn't request extra services.

Ring 08457222333 there are loads I'm getting the 8.57 from taunton gets to cardiff at 11.37, going home there is a 19:00, 19:30 and so on!
But you'll be shafted if you get the train from Taunton as this involves changing trains at Bristol.

The 08:57 service gets into Bristol at 10:00. Can you imagine how many thousand will be waiting for the Cardiff service at that time? I cant imagime your reserved seat will count for very much either.

If you want to get to Cardiff before 12:00 then you'll need to get to Bristol as early as possible on Sunday morning.

I cant imagime your reserved seat will count for very much either.

No, the problem with the trains is that even though you might 'get a reserved seat' like you say I very much doubt you'll see it.

What's worse is the number of people they pile on. Last year nobody in the train could move. In the end I found my way into the bicycle compartment, which nobody else had thought of inhabiting. I got a bit of space to my self and a window to look out of :D (why does a bike compartment need a window??)

I don't think I want to do it this year - it was ridiculous last year, I had the 'sense' to go from Bath, so going wasn't too bad and I got a seat (though scary when they let the City fans onto the platform after the train pulled up, and all you could see was a mob of people rushing to get on), but coming back was a nightmare.

I see a couple of accidents waiting to happen:

1) the mad rush to get on the trains, it's like a riot

2) the overcrowded trains... if there was an accident we wouldn't have a chance, and it would be one of the worst rail disasters ever in this country

It'll be even worse if they don't stick extra on :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to give them a miss this year and try and get a CATS ticket - hopefully I'll get back with plenty of time to dance in the fountains in the centre if we go up :P

They may be overpriced, but at least I'll get a seat...

Fortunately living in Westbury I get on the train long before the Bristol rabble pile on! Sadly this year Brighton fans will already be packing these very trains so it seems like its going to be one hell of a day. I seem to remember the trains were packed last year before arriving in Bristol (due to all of us Wiltshire/Bath folk), add Brighton fans into that mix and it promises to be great!

Archived