IGNORED

Millen And Coppell

GrahamC

I'm slowly coming round to the possibility that provided Keef maintains our current form (7 wins and 4 draws in the last 15 games) and keeps us up, then we might just have got off lightly when Coppell walked out.

I'm not going to lie-the early signs weren't good at all, after starting with 2 draws he then lost 6 out of the next 8; got just 6 points in his first 10 games and I admit I had serious doubts but there are definitely really good signs now;

Firstly look at his track record on the players he's brought in so far-

Caulker (absolutely superb), Stead (a bargain), Pitman, who is already more prolific than Trundle, Haynes or Clarkson inside his first 9 starts and even Rose, who in truth is yet to convince me, is at least a logical addition, attempting to give us the wide left player we have badly missed since McIndoe departed.

Secondly he rightly went for an experienced "outsider" as his assistant, none of this "give it to Scott Murray, Shaun Taylor or Walshie" forum nonsense, but someone who has a decent CV, with good contacts in the game and who is obviously lightening KM's coaching workload.

Finally look at the players, it is always obvious when they are not pulling for someone, but even with a host of injuries and 4 games in 9 days he has just dragged a couple of very good performances out of them in games against the top two and the "respect" thing that is so difficult for a promoted former assistant to earn sometimes is definitely there.

Keef is settled in the area, knows the club, knows the players, appears to know what he needs to improve us and will obviously work day and night for us, contrast that with "two holidays in the close season" Coppell, with his apparently random signing policy and who couldn't be arsed to watch the final games of last season, well, Palace are welcome to him in my book.......

I'm slowly coming round to the possibility that provided Keef maintains our current form (7 wins and 4 draws in the last 15 games) and keeps us up, then we might just have got off lightly when Coppell walked out.

I'm not going to lie-the early signs weren't good at all, after starting with 2 draws he then lost 6 out of the next 8; got just 6 points in his first 10 games and I admit I had serious doubts but there are definitely really good signs now;

Firstly look at his track record on the players he's brought in so far-

Caulker (absolutely superb), Stead (a bargain), Pitman, who is already more prolific than Trundle, Haynes or Clarkson inside his first 9 starts and even Rose, who in truth is yet to convince me, is at least a logical addition, attempting to give us the wide left player we have badly missed since McIndoe departed.

Secondly he rightly went for an experienced "outsider" as his assistant, none of this "give it to Scott Murray, Shaun Taylor or Walshie" forum nonsense, but someone who has a decent CV, with good contacts in the game and who is obviously lightening KM's coaching workload.

Finally look at the players, it is always obvious when they are not pulling for someone, but even with a host of injuries and 4 games in 9 days he has just dragged a couple of very good performances out of them in games against the top two and the "respect" thing that is so difficult for a promoted former assistant to earn sometimes is definitely there.

Keef is settled in the area, knows the club, knows the players, appears to know what he needs to improve us and will obviously work day and night for us, contrast that with "two holidays in the close season" Coppell, with his apparently random signing policy and who couldn't be arsed to watch the final games of last season, well, Palace are welcome to him in my book.......

well said...I quite agree...very sceptical of Keith's appointment...still harbour doubts...but Coppell clearly had a limited commitment that couldn't have been visible to anyone who didn't interview him for the job...and clearly wasn't spotted by those who did. If he goes to Palace it's a scandal, allowing people to question the integrity of a man who has enjoyed a very positive reputation.

Archived