IGNORED

Paul Fletcher's Blog On Bristol City & Boro

fka dagest

typical lazy bbc journalism. instead of doing any of his own research he asks fans of both clubs what they think and rehashes the responses as his own opinion. ******.

er...I think his research is through 606. Asking opinions and reporting them is pretty central to any journalism isn't it? I read Paul Fletcher regularly and I'm glad he reports on life outside the top flight.

City were bottom through most of October and Millen's position was under scrutiny. Thankfully, Robins chairman Steve Lansdown is not prone to the sort of panic, knee-jerk decisions that we have seen so often already this season and stood by his man. He was rewarded with a run that, until Saturday, had seen City lose just their three of their previous 14 Championship fixtures. Millen was manager of the month in December and before Saturday his team were unbeaten in eight Championship home games.

Key quote for me - something a few of our knee jerks fans seem to have forgotten

City were bottom through most of October and Millen's position was under scrutiny. Thankfully, Robins chairman Steve Lansdown is not prone to the sort of panic, knee-jerk decisions that we have seen so often already this season and stood by his man. He was rewarded with a run that, until Saturday, had seen City lose just their three of their previous 14 Championship fixtures. Millen was manager of the month in December and before Saturday his team were unbeaten in eight Championship home games.

Key quote for me - something a few of our knee jerks fans seem to have forgotten

arguably (by me at least) the "panic knee-jerk decision" of our Chairman was appointing Keith in the first place...big gamble, and despite a deserved award it's not paid off yet IMO

arguably (by me at least) the "panic knee-jerk decision" of our Chairman was appointing Keith in the first place...big gamble, and despite a deserved award it's not paid off yet IMO

I tend to agree. On the subject of Keith, I really am confused. For all the promise he shows and the good results, he seemingly lapses back into the madness from time to time. Sometimes he just makes team selections and substitutions, which make little sense to me.

I'm kind of hoping that things will improve as time goes on. It seems that every week is critical this season, but the next few weeks should show whether our trajectory is up or down.

I think it depends how you define gamble:

Gamble being, gamble on a manager to have an amazing instant impact and win us promotion at the first attempt (sorry get a grip of reality).

or Gamble on someone for the long term who needs to 'bed in', being given time time to build his team, which could well mean that may take a few seasons to do.

Was Tony M at Boro a gamble? I suspect pretty much every city fan would love him in charge of us, but look at him at Boro. He like Millen needs time to build the secret football ingredient 'momentum' that previous managers had destroyed.

I personally am not worried about relegation this season. Buckle up for an uncomfortable yo-yo season of wins followed by defeats. Forget the play offs, silly idiots who thought we would have a chance a few weeks ago. This time next year if were in the same position or worse - I will come to you red badger man and say, "yeah maybe it didn't pay off"

IMO smile.gif

I think it depends how you define gamble:

Gamble being, gamble on a manager to have an amazing instant impact and win us promotion at the first attempt (sorry get a grip of reality).

or Gamble on someone for the long term who needs to 'bed in', being given time time to build his team, which could well mean that may take a few seasons to do.

Was Tony M at Boro a gamble? I suspect pretty much every city fan would love him in charge of us, but look at him at Boro. He like Millen needs time to build the secret football ingredient 'momentum' that previous managers had destroyed.

I personally am not worried about relegation this season. Buckle up for an uncomfortable yo-yo season of wins followed by defeats. Forget the play offs, silly idiots who thought we would have a chance a few weeks ago. This time next year if were in the same position or worse - I will come to you red badger man and say, "yeah maybe it didn't pay off"

IMO smile.gif

"gamble" being tear up the club strategy that at the start of the season was aiming for a push to the play-offs by appointing one of the most experienced managers in the business - and when he lets you down replace the strategy with the appointment of a chap with a handful of games as caretaker under his belt.

I'm afraid theres no comparison with Tony Mowbray...who's been there and done it. I'd have far greater faith in him. Keith Millen has never "built the secret football ingredient." Tony Mowbray has brought it to AG in the past...in his time WBA looked marvellous in the Championship.

I'm very worried about relegation. A very real possibility.

1) "gamble" being tear up the club strategy that at the start of the season was aiming for a push to the play-offs by appointing one of the most experienced managers in the business - and when he lets you down replace the strategy with the appointment of a chap with a handful of games as caretaker under his belt.

I'm afraid theres no comparison with Tony Mowbray...who's been there and done it. I'd have far greater faith in him. Keith Millen has never "built the secret football ingredient." Tony Mowbray has brought it to AG in the past...in his time WBA looked marvellous in the Championship.

I'm very worried about relegation. A very real possibility.

1) Well SL had his 'club strategy' teared up for him by SC. I think it was great we had a strategy in the 1st place to aim as high as we did. But after SC left, SL and the board decided to make another decision and change the plan, by consolidating and building with KM. And yes, he maybe inexperienced but was highly rated and backed by both GJ and SC, and SL listened to their judgements.

2) That is exactly my point. Mowbray would be a Messiah coming here, he has gone to Boro and hardly lit to touch paper. Lost to Burton in the cup recently. Should they sack him or give him time? Does a proven manager deserve more time to prove themselves than an inexperienced one?

What your saying is, KM is inexperienced, therefore you don't trust him. And because of that your not willing to give him more than 4 months to prove himself?

Of course he is going to make mistakes, the key is how he learns from them, and then we can see if he can build the secret ingredient. But it will take more than 4 months, I can't think of many managers who have won promotion to the prem as a new manager at the first attempt?

1) Well SL had his 'club strategy' teared up for him by SC. I think it was great we had a strategy in the 1st place to aim as high as we did. But after SC left, SL and the board decided to make another decision and change the plan, by consolidating and building with KM. And yes, he maybe inexperienced but was highly rated and backed by both GJ and SC, and SL listened to their judgements.

2) That is exactly my point. Mowbray would be a Messiah coming here, he has gone to Boro and hardly lit to touch paper. Lost to Burton in the cup recently. Should they sack him or give him time? Does a proven manager deserve more time to prove themselves than an inexperienced one?

What your saying is, KM is inexperienced, therefore you don't trust him. And because of that your not willing to give him more than 4 months to prove himself?

Of course he is going to make mistakes, the key is how he learns from them, and then we can see if he can build the secret ingredient. But it will take more than 4 months, I can't think of many managers who have won promotion to the prem as a new manager at the first attempt?

You earn trust in life. What has Keith Millen done to earn anyone's trust as a manager? Maybe he'll be great but if Keith wants to learn his job I'd say let him do it somewhere else.

He should never have been given the job. It's not a question of how many months you give him...I'd have given him none. But we're stuck with him I fear...so let's hope he does well.

Before the season started I was excited about supporting a club that had real ambition and was showing it. KM is leading us to one of the more disappointing seasons in recent times...

You earn trust in life. What has Keith Millen done to earn anyone's trust as a manager? Maybe he'll be great but if Keith wants to learn his job I'd say let him do it somewhere else.

He should never have been given the job. It's not a question of how many months you give him...I'd have given him none. But we're stuck with him I fear...so let's hope he does well.

Before the season started I was excited about supporting a club that had real ambition and was showing it. KM is leading us to one of the more disappointing seasons in recent times...

Refer to earlier comments of fans with short memories.

Last season when Gary got the boot, we were heading in one direction with a squad that had it's confidence and morale shot to pieces, he turn the club around and produced some of the best results of the season and got us a 10th place finish,

That's what he's done to earn our trust.

Bet you felt the same when joe Jordan took over as a rookie

Refer to earlier comments of fans with short memories.

Last season when Gary got the boot, we were heading in one direction with a squad that had it's confidence and morale shot to pieces, he turn the club around and produced some of the best results of the season and got us a 10th place finish,

That's what he's done to earn our trust.

I've no short memory. He had a brief stint as a caretaker. Took an established squad that had started the season well but had dipped. Last year Keith did a very good job in reviving performances. Fair play to him.

Do I trust his managerial experience. No. Sorry.

I was excited by Jordan's appointment. A charismatic leader with international credentials. No comparison in my eyes.

And the circumstances were completely different weren't they? Jordan didn't take over at a time when supporters were being offered a vision of the club competing for promotion to the top flight...that's where my disappointment with the pitiful lack of ambition of Millen's appointment stems from.

I've no short memory. He had a brief stint as a caretaker. Took an established squad that had started the season well but had dipped. Last year Keith did a very good job in reviving performances. Fair play to him.

Do I trust his managerial experience. No. Sorry.

I was excited by Jordan's appointment. A charismatic leader with international credentials. No comparison in my eyes.

Well then that says more about you and your expectations, than it does about Millen and the job he is doing.

Well then that says more about you and your expectations, than it does about Millen and the job he is doing.

Spot on - it possibly does say more about me...last summer I actually believed that for once this club was ambitious. After 28 years waiting for a viable campaign for a return to the top flight I thought that was what Steve Lansdown was proposing to offer...didn't he say as much?...maybe I misheard. He's not saying it now!

Keith's doing his best I have no doubt. It's clearly enough for you...I wish I felt the same.

But it's not good enough for me. I'll not be renewing and I'll POTD next season if and when I think I'll get enough entertainment and excitement to make it worth the hundred mile round trip.

Archived