IGNORED

Basso

seebokseduction

Adriano Basso handed one of my son's his left boot as he left the pitch at Wembley - it's sitting in a little glass case on the bookshelf. He was a great City player - a kind man on the occasions I came across him with my kids - and a character. I for one will be delighted if it turns out well for him.

Match report of his Wolves trial.

http://www.wolves.co...2276435,00.html

"Basso made a spectacular save from Saido Berahino's rising drive"

"Basso then held on to a low, bouncing effort from Nicky Shorey"

Do you work for the Sun with the selective reporting?

Basso made a spectacular save from Saido Berahino's rising drive. But the keeper couldn't hold on to the ball and Mouyokolo blocked first from Bednar and then Roofe in front of an open goal.

rolleyes.gif

Adriano Basso handed one of my son's his left boot as he left the pitch at Wembley - it's sitting in a little glass case on the bookshelf. He was a great City player - a kind man on the occasions I came across him with my kids - and a character. I for one will be delighted if it turns out well for him.

Me Too

How does a computer fault make you post twice anyway? Sounds retarded to me...

Brilliant!

This thread has clearly shown a lot of people care as well. I'd love to see Basso playing in England again. After my childhood heroes (Murray, Tinnion and Carey) he's possibly my favourite City player. Either him or Doherty.

Hope he gets a deal with them, wouldn't be surprised if joined to end of season.

Hope he gets a game, would be great tom see him in top flight.

Top bloke, who stood up for his princlpes and

risked his career doing it.

Yep he was fortunate enough to have someone willing to take a risk on him and pay him enough so he can afford to have principles that means he don't have to work for 2 years, sounds just like the average working man to me, I will ask for the 15th time, did GJ write basso's transfer request?

Completely and totally agree with this.

Although I don't have a son or a left boot but you know what I mean....

Yep he was fortunate enough to have someone willing to take a risk on him and pay him enough so he can afford to have principles that means he don't have to work for 2 years, sounds just like the average working man to me, I will ask for the 15th time, did GJ write basso's transfer request?

Like he needs the money, his wife earns as more than him anyway.

In a way both did, GJ was planning to but Basso put himself out of his own misery and wanted to escape quickly.

Like he needs the money, his wife earns as more than him anyway.

Fair play to him then, look i never hated basso, im just getting sick of why everything is GJ's fault around here, a man who IMO has done more than any other manager in my lifetime (im 30) to sort this club out, The fans were united as one whilst he was here, (newcastle away 3000 singing bounce around the ground still makes me go all goosepimply, The atmosphere both home and away has been nowhere near as good as it was when GJ was here) and he sorted out the evil drinking culture that ruined this club for years and years, i dont understand the hostility towards him.

Fair play to him then, look i never hated basso, im just getting sick of why everything is GJ's fault around here, a man who IMO has done more than any other manager in my lifetime (im 30) to sort this club out, The fans were united as one whilst he was here, (newcastle away 3000 singing bounce around the ground still makes me go all goosepimply, The atmosphere both home and away has been nowhere near as good as it was when GJ was here) and he sorted out the evil drinking culture that ruined this club for years and years, i dont understand the hostility towards him.

Well said, there is no way he deserves all the hostility he gets now. Like you, I have found him to be the best manager in my time supporting City, he did a hell of a lot for the club. Yes it was time to go but the achievements on the pitch, removing a drinking culture off it and the atmosphere and sense of unity at the ground are things he deserves genuine credit for.

Well said, there is no way he deserves all the hostility he gets now. Like you, I have found him to be the best manager in my time supporting City, he did a hell of a lot for the club. Yes it was time to go but the achievements on the pitch, removing a drinking culture off it and the atmosphere and sense of unity at the ground are things he deserves genuine credit for.

Yes, in terms of League placings he achieved a lot. However, he had a very large budget to play with, neglected youth development, signed very few up and coming players, and we ended up with rather a lot of mediocre'clubs in the bag', no saleable assets and a huge wage bill. Some of us were warning about this as he continued loading the squad with ordinary players. We're paying the price now for his short-term attitudes, poor judgement and lack of forward planning.

However, in his defence, I think he was under a bit of pressure from SL and fans, and tried to buy promotion, rather than taking a step backwards for a year or so, and re-building with an eye to the future, although that still does not justify his shameful neglect of the Academy.

Yes, in terms of League placings he achieved a lot. However, he had a very large budget to play with, neglected youth development, signed very few up and coming players, and we ended up with rather a lot of mediocre'clubs in the bag', no saleable assets and a huge wage bill. Some of us were warning about this as he continued loading the squad with ordinary players. We're paying the price now for his short-term attitudes, poor judgement and lack of forward planning.

However, in his defence, I think he was under a bit of pressure from SL and fans, and tried to buy promotion, rather than taking a step backwards for a year or so, and re-building with an eye to the future, although that still does not justify his shameful neglect of the Academy.

He had his negative points for sure, youth development and short-termism are fair criticism. I just think most of the criticism of him that we are seeing now is somewhat over the top. As I said, not just League placings but also drinking culture he can take credit for. The unity may have come because we were on an upward curve, always more unity in success and all that.

He had his negative points for sure, youth development and short-termism are fair criticism. I just think most of the criticism of him that we are seeing now is somewhat over the top. As I said, not just League placings but also drinking culture he can take credit for. The unity may have come because we were on an upward curve, always more unity in success and all that.

Top response mate, I was deliberately a bit over-negative. He certainly revitalised the Club after the Wilson near-misses, but after Wembley we desperately needed a reality check, we almost achieved too much, too soon, and I thought that expectations were being raised too high (30+ years leaves your expectations very low!). I just hope the fans stick with City, it will be a bit dire for a couple of years, but if we can stay in the Championship, at least we get to play decent opposition and have some good away trips. Hopefully, we can rebuild and get the Club on a much sounder footing financially. Well, if not, at least there are a few new Division One grounds that I have not visited.

Top response mate, I was deliberately a bit over-negative. He certainly revitalised the Club after the Wilson near-misses, but after Wembley we desperately needed a reality check, we almost achieved too much, too soon, and I thought that expectations were being raised too high (30+ years leaves your expectations very low!). I just hope the fans stick with City, it will be a bit dire for a couple of years, but if we can stay in the Championship, at least we get to play decent opposition and have some good away trips. Hopefully, we can rebuild and get the Club on a much sounder footing financially. Well, if not, at least there are a few new Division One grounds that I have not visited.

Yeah, agree with that post very much so. Like you, I would be rather happy with a much sounder financial base over the next few years as a priority. Maybe then we can push on and build from good, long-term steady foundations. If we somehow get up in that period, then fantastic- look at Blackpool they probably did not think they would get up at the start of last season, but if we don't then a better base from which to build would be great.

Archived