IGNORED

Panic - Recurring Themes

Nibor

Seen some real OTT reactions as usual on transfer deadline day. I think it's worth pointing out a few things.

1) The loan window opens on 8th February. Players looking for a move that don't get it sorted today can be loaned in then.

2) It is perfectly possible to pursue more than one target. Needing a central midfielder does not prevent us from also needing a left back and a striker. We can attempt to sign (crazy concept here, take it steady) ALL THREE AT ONCE. They might not all come off, but trying to sign a striker in no way detracts from our attempts to sign players in other positions.

3) All we need to do this season is be better than three other teams. Our recent form is a cause for concern - not panic. We should not be making permanent signings that won't be required after the summer, we can't afford it.

Relax folks, it isn't as important or urgent as it seems that we have players signed today.

Seen some real OTT reactions as usual on transfer deadline day. I think it's worth pointing out a few things.

1) The loan window opens on 8th February. Players looking for a move that don't get it sorted today can be loaned in then.

2) It is perfectly possible to pursue more than one target. Needing a central midfielder does not prevent us from also needing a left back and a striker. We can attempt to sign (crazy concept here, take it steady) ALL THREE AT ONCE. They might not all come off, but trying to sign a striker in no way detracts from our attempts to sign players in other positions.

3) All we need to do this season is be better than three other teams. Our recent form is a cause for concern - not panic. We should not be making permanent signings that won't be required after the summer, we can't afford it.

Relax folks, it isn't as important or urgent as it seems that we have players signed today.

Very true. So in theory we could get someone like Bednar on loan next week, when the loan window re-opens.

You're absolutely right, Nibor and when you've watched us as long as you and I both have you tend to "go with the flow" a little bit more.

I can certainly recall Wilson bringing in Darren Caskey on the old deadline day and he never even kicked a ball for us, so wise arrivals are much better than numerous ones.

Bottom line is if we face Swansea tomorrow night with the same 18 to pick from that we had at Forest we'll still be supporting them and the manager, too.

However it isn't unreasonable to point out than S****horpe, for instance have now brought in 6 players this month and let's face it, their budget must be by a country mile the lowest at this level.

I'm not saying for a single minute that we need 6 new faces, let's face it, the dross that Millen's two predecessors have added to the squad means we couldn't do that even if we did, but the fact is starting the month according to Keef needing a "left back and creative midfielder" then selling Haynes when Stead looked in trouble and Maynard had been out for eight months and now spending the last day of the window looking to bring in 1,2,3 players after 30 days of looking isn't the smartest way to operate, is it?

However it isn't unreasonable to point out than S****horpe, for instance have now brought in 6 players this month and let's face it, their budget must be by a country mile the lowest at this level.

I know it's only an example but to put it in context - S****horpe only made a £480k loss last year, and have since sold Gary Hooper for £1.5m. They've signed 3 players on loan and one from non-league so they're not exactly splashing massive cash.

I'm not saying for a single minute that we need 6 new faces, let's face it, the dross that Millen's two predecessors have added to the squad means we couldn't do that even if we did, but the fact is starting the month according to Keef needing a "left back and creative midfielder" then selling Haynes when Stead looked in trouble and Maynard had been out for eight months and now spending the last day of the window looking to bring in 1,2,3 players after 30 days of looking isn't the smartest way to operate, is it?

I doubt Millen knew Stead could possibly be out for a long time when he sold Haynes - but also Haynes wanted to move on and when you have to make space in a squad and one of the few players who you could get a fee for asks to move you're going to have to do it really.

I also think we've probably tried very hard to get the left back and midfielder, but ultimately if you can't find players of the right quality available to us, you can't sign players who you don't think will cut it just as fillers. It's doing that kind of thing that got us the kind of squad imbalance we presently suffer from.

I'll be much more concerned if the 12 weeks of summer transfer window doesn't result in us having a better balanced and higher quality squad.

Archived