IGNORED

Bbc

westred1

With all the madness of today lets think where we are now and where we were then, without these players we could of ended up like Accrington Stamley out of the league for years or not exist at all and now were complaining because were not competing to be in the best league in the world.

Very very true.............

I know we have the plaque outside the players entrance to remind us fans of what they did for our club but I never thought the club really thanked them enough when things got better for BCFC......we could have invited them to the promotion games (only a couple since then I know) or Wembley finals as our main guests but nothing ever seemed to materialise

Maybe they should be the guests of honour at the opening of the Lansdown Arena / Cider Bowl? :dancing2:

Message to "Sir" Geoffrey Merrick;

of course you are remembered for captaining the team which got us promoted.........top man winner_third_h4h.gif

There have only ever been but two players in the history of football to have captained Bristol City FC to the promised land of top flight football. Geoff Merrick is one - but can you name the other player from 1906 ????!!!!

The Ashton 8 nearly bled the club to death. 6 of them were certainly heroes of our promotion/ top flight days, but by 1982 they were on First Division wages and long contracts but their performances were of bottom of Divison 3 standards. Fans just wouldn't put up with it today, there's enough moaning on here about players not being anywhere near good enough on crazy money - Hunt/Styvar/Marcus Stewart/Trundle of recent - times come to mind.

The Ashton 8 had no option but to tear up their contracts as 1) the administrators/accountants realised that these players wages were bleeding the club dry and had to address that problem and 2) if the club had folded their contracts would have been worthless anyway.I would be extremely interested to see how these players would have been viewed today, when having a forum like this always provides a platform for reasoned intelligent debate (well sometimes!), whereas 30 years ago we were just drip-fed information from the EP/local tv and radio, who all just seemed to latch on to the "sacrifice" these under-achievers made.

The Ashton 8 nearly bled the club to death. 6 of them were certainly heroes of our promotion/ top flight days, but by 1982 they were on First Division wages and long contracts but their performances were of bottom of Divison 3 standards. Fans just wouldn't put up with it today, there's enough moaning on here about players not being anywhere near good enough on crazy money - Hunt/Styvar/Marcus Stewart/Trundle of recent - times come to mind.

The Ashton 8 had no option but to tear up their contracts as 1) the administrators/accountants realised that these players wages were bleeding the club dry and had to address that problem and 2) if the club had folded their contracts would have been worthless anyway.I would be extremely interested to see how these players would have been viewed today, when having a forum like this always provides a platform for reasoned intelligent debate (well sometimes!), whereas 30 years ago we were just drip-fed information from the EP/local tv and radio, who all just seemed to latch on to the "sacrifice" these under-achievers made.

Agreed. The 8 still walked away with healthy payout's just not as much if they had completed their contracts, plus they were free to join other clubs.

I'm grateful, however still ask the question how 8 players who signed deals and performed in the top flight, can then perform so badly that they get relegated in successive seasons and still be classed as "hero's"

can of worms....opened

Archived