IGNORED

2010/2011 Possibly One Of The Worst Seasons?

BristolCityFC1

Without a doubt 1982 was not a good time for the club, but I have to say this has got to be one of the worst seasons to follow city. Im not just talking about on the pitch but also off it.

Stadium has had its ups and downs and we were informed that England would not be awarded the world cup in 2018 never mind in Bristol!

We lost Gary Johnson - one of the best managers this club has ever had. And who replaced him? Steve bloody cop out. Not only did he bugger off after 1 game in which we got stuffed 3-0 by a bunch of cockneys, but he also got rid of Bradley Orr and replaced him with Stewart and that spastic Hunt!

So in comes Keith Millen...well I knew from the moment I heard SL gave him a 3 yr deal that was the beginning of the end. Why did SL suggest this? what was wrong with a simple 1 year rolling on deal to see how u do?

The atmosphere down the gate has just evaporated. I havent seen Ashton Gate so quiet since we were in League 1. Going to see city is more depressing than a weak hand shake. Its bad enough driving down to see city if your local never mind from Brighton were I am! and just to add to the mix, this lot down here are top and on the up with their lovely new stadium in place for next season?

What have we got to look after? Im not even looking forward to the next few months because I fear we will go down. The thought of City going down and Brighton going up scares me.

Not only this but its such a kick in the face when we bring in players and they play rubbish i.e. haynes and then go off to other clubs and score for fun.

As much as I love BCFC, it really is an embarresing year for the club

I'm with you - I can think of few poorer seasons...certainly none which started with so much promise and fell away so rapidly. There's no real excuse for it. In the early 80s we were bust, and subsequent relegations have usually been because we didn't have the resources to compete. Now we do. They've been squandered.

Spot on. Johnson was sacked for allowing the team to slump to half-way. We can't score, appear to have no tactics and little motivation....I have been watching City for over 40 years....this is pretty poor...but at least the opposition are a bit better than the dark days of the early 1980s!

Season will be decided after 46 games and where we finish

Johnson was sacked form right reasons and regardless of where we are now, was right decision

coppell was the right decision and but decided he wanted out quick and walked

I still believe that Millen was the right man to step up, he's had bad luck both with a massive injury list all season and picking up a mixed Johnson squad and some VERy mixed coppell signings , but you have to make your own luck as a manager

Alot of people tonight love the use of hindsight, but I believe each decision was made with the right intentions even if they haven't come off.

Embrassing year...no, disappointing yes,

But regardless, I'd still say there has been more entertaining games this season and games to remember than in the last couple of seasons with some of the turgid performances we put up under Gary,

Alot of people tonight love the use of hindsight, but I believe each decision was made with the right intentions even if they haven't come off.

To be fair there are a lot of people on here who months ago were suggesting that KM wasn't the man for the job...however much they wanted him and City to do well this year.

As things stand that looks like foresight, not hindsight...

Without a doubt 1982 was not a good time for the club, but I have to say this has got to be one of the worst seasons to follow city. Im not just talking about on the pitch but also off it.

For me, watching City fall from the top flight of English football in May 1980 was the worst season for me. 30 long years have now passed and we're still not back in the promised land of top flight football.

Spot on. Johnson was sacked for allowing the team to slump to half-way. We can't score, appear to have no tactics and little motivation....I have been watching City for over 40 years....this is pretty poor...but at least the opposition are a bit better than the dark days of the early 1980s!

no i think you will find gj was sacked for punching ivan sproule because sproule wouldnt let gj win his argument

• Admin

Johnson should Never of been bombed out like he was. This spiral all started the day the players took over and the manager at the time was not allowed to continue.

It's a rotten core having players with so much say, thats what needs stamping out

Johnsons time had run it's course, it was time to go.

And as for a rotten core with player power, thats exactly what Johnson stamped out when he got here (and credit to him for that), so if it came back, thats his weak management and the players he signed.

no i think you will find gj was sacked for punching ivan sproule because sproule wouldnt let gj win his argument

No doubt some players also had an influence like our influencial captain, a scotsman and a irishman. In fact what happened in the changing room happened, lucky Man Utd didnt have that attitude when Sir Alex and Beckham had a fallout with a boot.

GJ should not have gone and the proof is in the pudding we are officially a lot worse off this season then last!

09/10 - 27 games - 36 points - 11th

10/11 - 29 games - 32 points - 19th

So is that an improvement?

• Admin

No doubt some players also had an influence like our influencial captain, a scotsman and a irishman. In fact what happened in the changing room happened, lucky Man Utd didnt have that attitude when Sir Alex and Beckham had a fallout with a boot.

GJ should not have gone and the proof is in the pudding we are officially a lot worse off this season then last!

09/10 - 27 games - 36 points - 11th

10/11 - 29 games - 32 points - 19th

So is that an improvement?

"GJ should not have gone" - Blind Faith?

It was time for him to go, the football on show was poor, the quality of the squad was in decline and as is fairly apparent he'd lost the dressing room. His style of management was exactly right when we were lumbering around the third tier, with piss heads and wasters as players. But for whatever reason, once he sorted that issue out, he couldn't seem to evolve his managerial style to cope with the players needed to take the next step.

"GJ should not have gone" - Blind Faith?

It was time for him to go, the football on show was poor, the quality of the squad was in decline and as is fairly apparent he'd lost the dressing room. His style of management was exactly right when we were lumbering around the third tier, with piss heads and wasters as players. But for whatever reason, once he sorted that issue out, he couldn't seem to evolve his managerial style to cope with the players needed to take the next step.

Because its so much better now isn't it,

No it isn't any better, but thats with the beauty of hindsight, had Coppell stayed and repeated his past successes, the season may look a whole lot different.

and if johnson was still here we could be sitting safely in 8th place,

again hindsight

• Admin

and if johnson was still here we could be sitting safely in 8th place,

again hindsight

But we wouldn't would we, he'd lost the dressing room!!

He appeared to be unable or unwilling to manage flair/difficult players, which I'm afraid is a necessary skill if you want to manage at the highest levels.

Johnson had "lost" the fans and he had "lost" the dressing room. After that, there is no way back for any manager.

Whether he would have turned it around, who knows?

What I do know is that if Johnson went, so should have Millen.

yea as the previous poster said its all hindsight.

It could of worked but its clearly not and it needs to be addressed I feel a west hamesq thing needs to happen where keef needs to get 7 points from the next 3 games to save his job

This is the most disappointing season when you consider the hope at the start of it. I for one thought the club was about to take a massive step forward and look forward to a bright future. To where we are now on and off the pitch is a huge come down.

As for the worst ever? No chance. The early 80's must have been horrific. Unfortunatly our support now think we have a god given right to be winning games and challenging at the top no matter what and completely over react if we are not.

We are lucky that thanks to eight men we have a club at all and any "crisis" since then is nothing in comparison.

well we haven't been threaten with relegation since 98 when we last went down,

So its understandable why our fans expect us to be challenging up the top.

For alot of them this is their first relegation fight those of us who remember the 80's have been through it before

It has seemed like we have been on the end of far too many hammerings at home this season, which hasn't happened in a long while. However whilst we are at the wrong end of the table, we are not (yet!) currently entrenched in the relegation zone. So in my opinion, despite the last few home performances, there is still hope! I'm not completely exonerating the management or players, but we have had some massive bad luck with injuries and the Coppell situation.

Just take a look at Hull or even us a few months back to see what a bit of luck and positivity can do in the lower reaches of this league. On the positive side, I cannot see the resident's winning their town green status and the fact that England lost the World Cup bid makes things more simple in my opinon, so I fully expect progress on the new stadium which will give everyone a boost. We've got Maynard to come back and Caulker has been a real find (despite being a loan player). Who wasn't jumping about the place when we went to the league leaders and got 2 goals against their mean defence?

Worst season? Not yet. My glass of Natch is half full. :cool:

I told you all in the summer we would be bottom 6, I Have not posted since,

We have not addressed the squad problems, millen is cluless,

We have for the past 2 seasons needed,

Left Back, Right back, centre half, left sided player, creative central midfield players,

every striker we sign struggles because the headless Elliot creates nothing, johnson the crab just plays backwards and side wards, skuse creates fk all,

I didnt buy a season ticket for the 1st time in years, glad i didnt bother,

Lansdown is loaded and cluless when it comes to football,

well we haven't been threaten with relegation since 98 when we last went down,

So its understandable why our fans expect us to be challenging up the top.

For alot of them this is their first relegation fight those of us who remember the 80's have been through it before

That's a very good point. I've seen 4 promotions and 3 relegations so far. Even 98 was probably worse than this as we were rooted in the bottom three for most of the season.

Johnson should Never of been bombed out like he was. This spiral all started the day the players took over and the manager at the time was not allowed to continue.

It's a rotten core having players with so much say, thats what needs stamping out

Johnson was a bully who had run out of ideals, his position was untenable.

The mistake was giving Millen such a long contract after Copout left us in the lerch. Millen should of took the reigns temporarily and we could of seen how he went, before jumping in with both feet.

Archived