IGNORED

Last Time We Went 5 In A Row Without Scoring

North London Red

OK, just been looking back through the archives to find the last time we went 5 games in a row without a goal.

I'm pretty sure you've got to go all the way back to season 69-70:

- 30th August 1969, lost 3-0 at Huddersfield in the league

- 2nd September, drew 0-0 v Leicester at home in the league cup

- 6th September, drew 0-0 v Preston at home

- 10th September, drew 0-0 v Leicester away in the league cup replay

- 13 September, lost 2-0 at Middlesbrough in the league

The run was broken by John Galley on the 15th of September, against Leciester in the league cup, 2nd replay.

In season 80-81 we went six consecutive league games without a goal (either side of Christmas) but sandwiched in between was a 2-0 FA Cup win against Derby; in 88-89 we had a run of one goal in six matches, that goal being Alan Walsh's at Bradford in the league cup; but for five straight games without a goal, I'm fairly sure it last happened 41 seasons ago.

OK, just been looking back through the archives to find the last time we went 5 games in a row without a goal.

I'm pretty sure you've got to go all the way back to season 69-70:

- 30th August 1969, lost 3-0 at Huddersfield in the league

- 2nd September, drew 0-0 v Leicester at home in the league cup

- 6th September, drew 0-0 v Preston at home

- 10th September, drew 0-0 v Leicester away in the league cup replay

- 13 September, lost 2-0 at Middlesbrough in the league

The run was broken by John Galley on the 15th of September, against Leciester in the league cup, 2nd replay.

In season 80-81 we went six consecutive league games without a goal (either side of Christmas) but sandwiched in between was a 2-0 FA Cup win against Derby; in 88-89 we had a run of one goal in six matches, that goal being Alan Walsh's at Bradford in the league cup; but for five straight games without a goal, I'm fairly sure it last happened 41 seasons ago.

so our worst start to a season in 28 years and our worst run of games without scoring a goal in over 40 years.

hopefully people now understand why others see this as more than a blip and are questioning if Millens up to the job.

Cheers north L.

While you are at it please check that remark from SC Red; is it really the worst start for 28 years? I don't think so. What about the last time we were relegated at this level under Lennartson?

Depends how you define a bad start.

This season we had 6 points after 10 games. In 98-99 we had seven points at the same stage; the last time we had as few as six was in 82-83, so SC Red is right if you take points from the opening ten games as the measure.

However, we didn't get a league win until our 10th game in 98-99 (5-2 v Crewe) whereas we beat S****horpe in our 5th game this season, so if 'waiting for the first win' is the measure, 98-99 was worse (although we did beat Shrewsbury in the league cup before the 10th league game).

As for the last time we went six on the spin without scoring, I'm going to have to consult my anorak book later and come back to you! I have a feeling it'll be a very long time ago.

http://www.statto.co...ol-city/records

according to this we have failed to score in 6 games twice in our history

Failing to score 6

10.09.1910 to 15.10.1910

20.12.1980 to 31.01.1981

That's league games only.

In 80-81 we beat Derby 2-0 in the FA cup half way through those 6 league games - so it may well be exactly 100 seasons ago that we had six straight blanks in any competition.

Better do 7 as well because it's Leeds after that.

Right, having consulted the anorak book, we've never gone 7 games in a row without scoring.

We've gone six in a row without scoring on two separate occasions: in 1910-11 (as mentioned above, all six games in the league) and in 1934-35:

- Feb 16th 1935, 0-0 v Preston at home in the FA Cup

- Feb 23rd, 0-1 v Gillingham (league)

- Feb 25th, 0-5 v Preston away in the cup replay

- Mar 2nd, 0-6 v Southend in the league

- Mar 9th, 0-2 v Luton in the league

- Mar 13th, 0-0 v Clapton Orient in the league

An honourable mention for season 1923-24, when we had a run of one goal in nine games.

Problem is, is that we don't even look like scoring either.

We could of had two last night against Swansea.

The first effort by Keogh was looking like it may creep in until Clarkson headed it, and the second one was a sweet volley that Pitman caught about 6 yards and somehow managed to (luckily for Swansea) hit their player who didn't know anything about it.

Right, having consulted the anorak book, we've never gone 7 games in a row without scoring.

We've gone six in a row without scoring on two separate occasions: in 1910-11 (as mentioned above, all six games in the league) and in 1934-35:

- Feb 16th 1935, 0-0 v Preston at home in the FA Cup

- Feb 23rd, 0-1 v Gillingham (league)

- Feb 25th, 0-5 v Preston away in the cup replay

- Mar 2nd, 0-6 v Southend in the league

- Mar 9th, 0-2 v Luton in the league

- Mar 13th, 0-0 v Clapton Orient in the league

An honourable mention for season 1923-24, when we had a run of one goal in nine games.

Nice work London Red, much appreciated.

Did you need to go to the National Archive office to dig that far back then? !!

I think we will score at Deepdale though... whether it will be sufficient is another matter entirely.

Archived