ORR---CAREY--FONTAINE---MCCALISTER

NOBLE---ELLIOT---CARLE----MCINDOE

------TRUNDLE--ADEBOLA-------------

Vs.

------------------JAMES----------------------

RIBEIRO---CAULKER--FONTAINE---MCCALISTER

ADOMAH-----ELLIOT-----CISSE------WOOLFORD

-----------MAYNARD---STEAD--------------

I know the 'CURRENT TEAM' I have picked hasn't played together yet but most of them have.

BASSO Vs. JAMES ----- JAMES WINS 0 - 1

ORR Vs. RIBEIRO ----- ORR WINS 1 - 1

CAREY Vs. CAULKER ----- CAULKER WINS 1 - 2

FONTAINE Vs. FONTAINE ---- N/A

MCCALISTER Vs. MCCALISTER ---- N/A

NOBLE Vs. ADOMAH ---- ADOMAH WINS 1 - 3

ELLIOT Vs. ELLIOT ---- N/A

MCINDOE Vs. WOOLFORD ---- TOO EARLY TO JUDGE

TRUNDLE Vs MAYNARD ---- MAYNARD WINS 1 - 4

ADEBOLA Vs. STEAD ---- STEAD WINS 1 - 5

CURENT TEAM WINS 5 - 1

However a couple of things imo are seperating the two teams:

Wembley team has creativity with Carley, Noble, Mcindoe and even Elliot at his prime. Current team doesn't.

Wembley team has a very strong team spirit. Current team doesn't.

Wembley team has leaders like Orr etc.. Current team doesn't.

Wembley team had belief and confidence in themselves. Current team don't.

Wembley team had a quality manager. Current team doesn't.

I believe the current team is no less skilled than the Wembley team, but i believe the Wembley team were more eager to win, more thirsty for promotion.

------------------BASSO---------------------- ------------------JAMES---------------------- ORR--CAREY---FONTAINE---MCCALISTER RIBEIRO---CAULKER--FONTAINE---MCCALISTER

NOBLE---ELLIOT---CARLE---MCINDOE ADOMAH-----ELLIOT-----CISSE------WOOLFORD

------TRUNDLE--ADEBOLA------------- -----------MAYNARD---STEAD--------------

I know the 'CURRENT TEAM' I have picked hasn't played together yet but most of them have.

BASSO Vs. JAMES ----- JAMES WINS 0 - 1

ORR Vs. RIBEIRO ----- ORR WINS 1 - 1

CAREY Vs. CAULKER ----- CAULKER WINS 1 - 2

FONTAINE Vs. FONTAINE ---- N/A

MCCALISTER Vs. MCCALISTER ---- N/A

NOBLE Vs. ADOMAH ---- ADOMAH WINS 1 - 3

ELLIOT Vs. ELLIOT ---- N/A

MCINDOE Vs. WOOLFORD ---- TOO EARLY TO JUDGE

TRUNDLE Vs MAYNARD ---- MAYNARD WINS 1 - 4

ADEBOLA Vs. STEAD ---- STEAD WINS 1 - 5

A couple of things imo are seperating the two teams:

Wembley team has creativity with Carley, Noble, Mcindoe and even Elliot at his prime. Current team doesn't.

Wembley team has a very strong team spirit. Current team doesn't.

Wembley team has leaders like Orr etc.. Current team doesn't.

Wembley team had belief and confidence in themselves. Current team don't.

Wembley team had a quality manager. Current team doesn't.

I believe the current team is no less skilled than the Wembley team, but i believe the Wembley team were more eager to win, more thirsty for promotion.

Basso - Every time for me. I am sorry but presently I cannot get the hype over James and at times I think he is a liability? 1 - 0

Orr - Alright I am biased but I really think that we have missed him more than anyone ever thought we would this season. 2 - 0

Caulker - Sorry Louis you have been a magnificent servant but Caulker is class and will play way above Championship level. 2 - 1

Fontaine - No contest. 2 - 1

McAllister - No contest (sadly on present form) 2 - 1

Adomah - Difficult one this as two totally different types of midfielder? Adomah just but it was close? 2 - 2

Elliott - No contest (Again sadly on present form. Certainly not the player now that wore red at Wembley) 2 - 2

McIndoe v Woolford - Agreed to early to make a judgement. 2 - 2

Maynard - Sadly we never seen the best of Super Lee and Nicky took a season to show us his worth which Trundle was never given as much time. 2 - 3

Adebola - Stead is a good player but I just wonder if Ipswich let him go as they knew about the seriousness of the injury and how many games they will get out of him? Dele just pips it for me. 3 - 3

Penalty decider for me Johnson v Millen - At the time I was glad to see the back of GJ as I personally think that he had got to big for his boots and some of his "alleged" man management skills left a lot to be desired if the rumours were true BUT giving it some thought I will have to say GJ for reasons beneath so in my book the Wembley team take it 4 - 3.

I think that you have also hit the nail on the head with the view that yesterdays team really looked like it had no natural "roll up your sleeves and lets get stuck in" leader types like Hartley, Bradders. Also tactically whilst GJ was not in the Mourinho class Millen seems totally clueless in this area and also I am not certain that he is the type to scare the players with a couple of good old fashioned Plymouth away type team talks!!!!

where do i begin ??

the club had no choice over basso have we forgotten so soon it was him playing the fool he could have had a good future at the gate

agree we really have missed orr and not been replaced but when he had his forced time out and returned the defence was 100% better

louis well he has been a good servant for the club over the years but even last season i thought he was beaten by quite a few for pace

never replaced mcindoe

albert well thought the game changed when he came on - what a future he must have

did we miss jcr he runs down the wing but will admit the final ball could be better

there has been something missing this season - 2 soft goals yesterday was annoying too early to say about woolford but did wonder at times did he actually add anything to the teram yesterday that those we have there couldn't

it is still a time of transition and we still think about the wembley final and that is when teams find it at their hardest think liverpool is a fine example so perhaps we have to think about next season all ready thinking we will stay up this year

The current team is better when you look at it, but is a team made up of individuals, with no creativity or leadership.

Spot on - all the rubbish spouted on here about the squad being unbalanced, decimated by injuries blah, blah is simply a smokescreen.

I was at AG yesterday and apart from Clarkson, who I thought looked out of his depth, I thought we had 10 players on the pitch who could all do a decent job at Championship level if they had:

(a) a leader on the pitch/ off the pitch

(b) a consistent game plan

© team spirit.

Leeds looked more together, physically stronger and far better organised than we did. In fact they looked a lot like we did in our first season in the Championship!

Those pinning their hopes on a summer clearout of 'deadwood' are kidding themselves if they think that is somehow going to transform our fortunes. We already have players at AG who are capable of playing in the top half of the league - they just aren't being managed or coached effectively.

Yep just like the other perennial 'creative midfielder' Noble, oh yeah not forgetting Mcindoe all have gone on to bigger and better things, yeah really miss them.

Noble got a truly horrible injury tbf to him and McIndoe has merely become older! You have to judge them on how they played for us anyway and I personally thought all three were good for us.

You missed out McCombe.

Granted he doesn't come near the players you have picked in terms of ability but he had a desire and drive to win that was infectious and seems to be missing from the current bunch.

Back then we had a bunch of very determined lower-league players with a desire to prove that they could do it at this level. Pretty much everyone we have now has proved they can do it but we need more with the drive to prove themselves at the next level.

Probably man for man ths side is better. However as others have pointed out, Elliott and Mcallister of 3 years ago were far better than now. More crucially still though, that side in 07/08 had a real never say die spirit about them, plenty of late goals scored that equalier (WBA and Norwich at home spring to mind). Also we have to bear in mind that more teams know about us now, whereas that year there was something of a crest of a wave we were still riding on, combined with momentum. Rising TV money at the top level means sides who come down are in the main better equipped to go back up at the 1st time of asking, it's really not as simple as to compare man for man. Lastly, people compare Basso and James. Now while James is still most likely the better keeper, he is 40 don't forget, best days behind players when they reach that age- it is worth remembering just how immense Basso was for us that year, he was the difference for us in many games. Liked McIndoe too, hopefully Woolford will be his full time replacement but far too early to judge.

We could do with someone like Nick Carle, least he was a creative midfielder..

I still cannot understand why people think Carle was good for us. He was pleasing on the eye, but nothing more. GJ hit it on the head on time when spoke of the need to influence games. Carle would go on mazy runs, but we wouldn't be in any better position at the end of it.

Creative midfielders need to "create" for other players - killer passes, telling crosses, measured through balls, etc. Carle didn't deliver any of these. He was a show pony.

Not always about better players in teams and that, when I was playing, I had the best years of my career playing at Wycombe in the conference and scored a few from left wing. Sadly I now play for a Sunday league team and don't even outclass pub teams and can't score that often. The problem lies a lot not with the class of the players, but how they play as a team. At Wycombe we weren't exactly good players, but we played for each other. The City team a few years ago played for each other, whilst the current squad doesn't even seem to be remotely interested.

If a mix of the two then

...........................................................Basso................................................

Ribiero......................Carey..............................Caulker.........................Mccallister

Adomah............................Elliott........................Hartley...........................Trundle

..................................................Stead...............Maynard

Ok, I cheated with Hartley, but assuming everyone was at their best, this would be my team

What so either Noble or Carle wouldnt walk into the team at this moment? Get a clue

Indeed both would be in the squad at the moment, many people rave about Harley at Exeter, but when you look at Exeter fans views, they all rate Noble higher, it also appears that following his injury and year out of the game that he's got his act together, still only 28, would i take him back......hmmmm at the right price? Possibly

I still cannot understand why people think Carle was good for us. He was pleasing on the eye, but nothing more. GJ hit it on the head on time when spoke of the need to influence games. Carle would go on mazy runs, but we wouldn't be in any better position at the end of it.

Creative midfielders need to "create" for other players - killer passes, telling crosses, measured through balls, etc. Carle didn't deliver any of these. He was a show pony.

But he did produce the single best midfield performance seen in a City shirt for nyon 2 decades away at Sheff Utd in our play-off season.

Archived