IGNORED

Just An Observation From Ag

Ashton Fred

Renewing my season ticket today at AG (sorry to all that think I shouldn't) but about 1:00 a fleet of cars came through the gates and parked at the back of the ateyo stand, obviously players, mercedes, land rovers etc and a smart Audi convertible reg M4RVE! I have no contacts at the ground/club but the players that got out of the cars were obviously relaxed and in good spirit. The reason for this post is that I was thinking twice about renewing my ticket, after the first thought I renewed, the temprement of the players I saw today made me realise, win, lose or draw the spirit appears to be good. So should it be for us fans, WE WILL STAY UP AND MOVE ON!!

If i drove a convertable audi or a merc and i was on summat like 3 - 10 k a week for kicking a ball i would look pretty chilled out too.

Im sure ile get the usual ********* replying with there 2 pennys worth but here goes, no player genuinely gives a shit about the club regardless of results. They make out they do but this day in age its just a 'job' to them really. Spirit may be good (even though there a pile of shit on the pitch). If this club went to the wall, players would just **** off elswhere and line there pockets in the process not givin a **** about this club.

At the moment at very best the overpaid ******s should have to cycle to work. It didnt do albert any harm.

You cannot really expect a football player, usually below 30, who traditionally does not have a huge amount between his ears and spends all his time living and breathing football, to have much in the way of empathy and understanding of how their image is portrayed. Their agents are probably the last to advise restraint. On the other hand you have a rather smarter cookie in David James who, I have heard people say, turn up in a 3 wheeler.

Personally I think players should perhaps have a reasonably modest car to turn up in for work; it can only have a positive effect.

And do they care? Sure they do but not like you and me.

If i drove a convertable audi or a merc and i was on summat like 3 - 10 k a week for kicking a ball i would look pretty chilled out too.

Im sure ile get the usual ********* replying with there 2 pennys worth but here goes, no player genuinely gives a shit about the club regardless of results. They make out they do but this day in age its just a 'job' to them really. Spirit may be good (even though there a pile of shit on the pitch). If this club went to the wall, players would just **** off elswhere and line there pockets in the process not givin a **** about this club.

At the moment at very best the overpaid ******s should have to cycle to work. It didnt do albert any harm.

Okay, let's give you a choice - say your firm was going tits up, would you quit if you knew that would ultimately save it, or would you hang on for every penny until the day your firm died?

Okay, let's give you a choice - say your firm was going tits up, would you quit if you knew that would ultimately save it, or would you hang on for every penny until the day your firm died?

Maybe ... but I think the point is how does that make the average fan feel when they're being asked to fork out for next year's season ticket? Before the Swansea game a huge white Audi sports car arrived in the car park behind the Atyeo, and the steward held everyone up to usher Nicky Hunt into his parking space...........

Maybe ... but I think the point is how does that make the average fan feel when they're being asked to fork out for next year's season ticket? Before the Swansea game a huge white Audi sports car arrived in the car park behind the Atyeo, and the steward held everyone up to usher Nicky Hunt into his parking space...........

As it was Hunt, that's a fair point :D

What I'm trying to get is that it's far to easy to hurl bile at the Millionaire / Multithousandaire players that do this job we love to death, but if they felt the way these people say they should feel then it'll be corrosive to their performances. What are the Blue mob going through at the moment? it's not like they're deciding whether to go Down The Road or Accross The Street, but it can't be healthy going to training feeling like **** every day because of their impending relegation. It's a fine line asking footballers to emphasise with you for putting up with their performances and getting them to reach for the rope because that's the way you feel.

If the OP had asked them how they were feeling and got a reply that spoke of themselves rather than the club that'd be another matter, but being grumpy out of spite is harmful all round.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. Yes it is just a job, they would find other clubs, and most of them are only at City because they got a better offer there than from other clubs, but I do think they care. I chose my job because it paid more than the others and if a much better one came along then I might leave, but that doesn't mean I don't do my best while I'm here or that I don't care how well we do.

Most footballers love playing football and they love to win. They get paid to do it because they're good at it but if they didn't they'd be playing 5-a-side after work like the rest of us and trying hard to win because that's only natural.

These players are earning what they have been offered by the club.

Just because our season has been disappointing (and nothing more) we cant expect the players to be in a state of depression.

And one thing that some miss is that this is their lives & careers too - 99.9% of players want to do well in their careers - probabaly more than us - nearly all of them will have ambition - so they will undoubtedly be disappointed about this season - even if they arent walking round like zombies........

My first post was a bit harsh really to say the least, a combination of a night on the natch, knee jerk post, and the general frustrations of this season in general. Im nice really :innocent06:

I once made a website for a small ornament manufacturer and periodically maintained the upkeep of it. Said business eventually went under( nothing to do with me i might add ). Even though i wasnt one of the owners of the business, i still wanted to do something to help them out of the shit, even though i went on to find work elsewhere.

My point being that disregarding my natch fueled rant about players jumping ship for money, while they are here getting paid a mint with there big cars, 99% of players more than likely do want to get us out of the dicky doo doo and care about the club, even though they can theoretically piss off anytime.

Still think they should cycle to work though, cycle clips on boyos!

These players are earning what they have been offered by the club.

Just because our season has been disappointing (and nothing more) we cant expect the players to be in a state of depression.

And one thing that some miss is that this is their lives & careers too - 99.9% of players want to do well in their careers - probabaly more than us - nearly all of them will have ambition - so they will undoubtedly be disappointed about this season - even if they arent walking round like zombies........

Riaz, you make it sound like we have Tim Nice But Dim negotiating player's contracts i.e. Pitman is looking for £5000 pw so we offer £8000. In defence of the club, I think that in most cases we are paying what the player's agent has been able to screw out of us, and I suspect that in a few instances are paying less than agents have been trying for.

Regarding your first sentence, if we were contesting the promotion places just now, this thread would not even exist. If the players were earning what the club pays them then, I doubt we would be in the position we are, and therein is one of our problems.

As it happens, I agree with your comment about the players' demenour. Even though we are in a poor position, I do hope the players are bouyant, positive and confident despite the situation, as this gives the best changce of a positive performance on the pitch. However, I also hope they feel a sense of responsibility to the club and fans, as they are the only people who can get us out of the hole in which we find ourselves. If we go down, a fair few will move to other championship clubs in the summer, but us fans will still be here to deal with the consequences of the players' failure. The fans are on fixed term contracts (for life) and with no relegation or get out clause in the event of relegation to protect them, and for us moving to another club with better prospects is not an option..

Why do some people constantly feel the need to bang on about footballers wages and what they spend their money on. I say good luck to them. They and their agents negotiate the best deal they can and the club do the same. The club want to pay as little as possible and the player wants the most he can get. How is this different to anybody outside football the only difference is the size of the deal.

The players get paid what the club thinks they are worth. If Nicky Hunt is on £10k a week its because someone thought he was worth it and the board sanctioned it. If he then decides to blow £100k on an Audi R8 then thats up to him.

I like most earn far less than a pro Championship footballer, i would give my high teeth to swap places but i am not good enough. These are the cream of millions of people who play football in this country and their salaries reflect this.

I'm envious but not jealous.

Why do some people constantly feel the need to bang on about footballers wages and what they spend their money on. I say good luck to them. They and their agents negotiate the best deal they can and the club do the same. The club want to pay as little as possible and the player wants the most he can get. How is this different to anybody outside football the only difference is the size of the deal.

The players get paid what the club thinks they are worth. If Nicky Hunt is on £10k a week its because someone thought he was worth it and the board sanctioned it. If he then decides to blow £100k on an Audi R8 then thats up to him.

I like most earn far less than a pro Championship footballer, i would give my high teeth to swap places but i am not good enough. These are the cream of millions of people who play football in this country and their salaries reflect this.

I'm envious but not jealous.

Can't speak for anybody else but as in too many walks of life these days there is no connection between ability and reward. The club pays what it has to because of the knock on effect of the massive wage inflation in the Premier League. Both players and managers (at least in the top two leagues) can make a very comfortable living and never have to work again without ever actually achieving anything. Or indeed by doing little more than turning up, as our players have far too often this season.

Gary Johnson was right; too many of them like being footballers but don't like playing football. I thought he had driven that attitude out of our club but players soon revert to type and ours now live in their comfort zone as far as I can see. Compare the attitude and work rate of the likes of Elliot, Carey, Fontaine, McAllister and Johnson now compared to their first season in the Championship. One good season and they decided they had arrived and could start taking it easy.

Personally I am sick to the back teeth with footballers in general, and with our players picking and choosing when they will put in a shift. That, and the fact that I doubt Millen has the strength of character to do anything about it (very much the players' mate it seems to me; what chance new contracts all round?) is why I will not be renewing my season ticket..

Watching a bunch of underperforming players driving around in huge cars would put me off buying a season ticket, not encourage me to buy one.

I saw Gerkin arrive at AG in a huge Merc on Saturday - what on earth has he done to earn his wages this season??

So the club sign the England keeper, what is Gerkin supposed to do, hand back his Merc and tell the club he'll accept minimum wage, as he won't be doing alot this year.

Ummm, think not.

Archived