IGNORED

Pitman

BCFC Jordan

Incidentally, how was Clarkson last night? In 4 games he's played the linking role we've scored 8 goals. Has he had much to do with this, or are the games just passing him by? I know he scored 2, but would swapping him with Pitman mess up the link play?

Incidentally, how was Clarkson last night? In 4 games he's played the linking role we've scored 8 goals. Has he had much to do with this, or are the games just passing him by? I know he scored 2, but would swapping him with Pitman mess up the link play?

Clarkson was alright. He drifted in and out the game. Linked up with the midfield well and most of our attacks included him. However, he didn't cause any type of goal threat what so ever.

I think he scored 3 for Bournemouth v Peterborough just before he signed.Is yhat included?

He's only 6 goals behind the top scorer in this league, which is amazing when you consider the fact that we've struggled a hell of a lot this season and he's only started 13 out of 33 league matches.

A fantastic record, I'm sure you all will agree. Keep it up Brett!

wouldn't be suprised to see Maynard/pitman upfront seeing as we are at home, aslong as Cisse and Elliot show enough composure to keep the ball and give quick release balls to the winger. Then Clarky in the 5 man midfield when away.

Oh and looking forward to seeing Pitman's goal his goal ratio is great considering last season he was in league two!

I think at home the partnership could work, Nicky's instinct has been to drop deeper and try create something for himself since his first season. Pitman is always on the Shoulder and always making the run in behind.

Unfortunately I don't think either offer enough off the ball to play them together away from home, I hope nobody naively states "if they can do it in one game, they can do it in all" because that is simply not true and stats show that. Pitman, despite his good record in front of goal is particularly lethargic off the ball and Nicky has never been good in the air either. Clarkson's ability to drop into the hole and create a little bit of space has been vital in a few of our good away performances and Stead/Keogh offer an awful lot of running and hold up play, So one of those three would IMO always be first choice in away games.

Having such a good strike force is a good thing, It opens up the prospect of different tactics (Three up front) and it means there will always be pressure on the man in possession to perform. Pitman has also shown he very good off the bench for us, which is another bonus.

I personally think it will be difficult for Maynard and Pitman to play every game together considering their styles... But it is not an impossibilty and should be tried at some point this season to see if there is a basis to form next seasons line-up from. We mustn't forget the energetic and classy Stead is on his way back, too.

All in all, we are plausibly the strongest team in the division in the centre forward area. If Millen can strengthen the Midfield and defence we'll be there or there abouts next season!

Me and my mates were talking earlier, we can't think of a goal that Pitman has scored this season where he has taken a touch before scoring.

really interesting point.

Did he take a touch for his goal at preston? or just smack it forst time...can't quite remember.

Other than that you could well be right...

Me and my mates were talking earlier, we can't think of a goal that Pitman has scored this season where he has taken a touch before scoring.

What you mean he just wished it into the net with his piercing eyes?.. groovy stuff.!

Blasting a shot into the net on receipt of the ball though and without slowing it down for control, in all seriousness, is a rare quality, dare i say Prem quality.

What you mean he just wished it into the net with his piercing eyes?.. groovy stuff.!

Blasting a shot into the net on receipt of the ball though and without slowing it down for control, in all seriousness, is a rare quality, dare i say Prem quality.

I think if he carries on this way in the future we could well be comparing him to Kevin Phillips but early days still.

Clarkson was my man of the match on Tuesday night, to say he faded in and out of the game is unfair as he was playing mainly in the worst area of a very heavy pitch.

Jordan said that Maynard doesn't offer enough off the ball? Tuesday he turned up all over the pitch including left back. I think I realised just how good he is after the game Tuesday, almost everyone else struggled on that pitch, but he just floated over it and his control and passing of a ball that was bouncing at all angles was sublime, he looked like he was playing on a different pitch to everyone else. Unfortunately I think by this time next year he may be doing just that.

Clarkson was my man of the match on Tuesday night, to say he faded in and out of the game is unfair as he was playing mainly in the worst area of a very heavy pitch.

Jordan said that Maynard doesn't offer enough off the ball? Tuesday he turned up all over the pitch including left back. I think I realised just how good he is after the game Tuesday, almost everyone else struggled on that pitch, but he just floated over it and his control and passing of a ball that was bouncing at all angles was sublime, he looked like he was playing on a different pitch to everyone else. Unfortunately I think by this time next year he may be doing just that.

I didn't see anything on Tuesday to make me change my view that Clarkson is not quite good enough to play at this level. He is certainly a clever player when he gets the ball around the edge of the box and can be a cool finisher. But he is also slow and too easily brushed off the ball. Not strong enough to be a target man and not quite sharp or dynamic enough to be a real threat "in the hole" or a fox in the box.

Maynard looked really up for it on Tuesday - it looked to me like he's hated being away, loved being back and is determined to make an impression in what's left of the season. Apparently he was really impressive in his time on the pitch at Leicester, too. Fair play to him and long may it continue.

He does generally run himself into the ground for the cause, granted. That is one of the reasons he should be the main starter ahead of Pitman away from home, as Pitman doesn't offer that. However Nicky doesn't have any real ability in the air and the longer ball is a pointless "out" for the defence with both Pitman and Nicky on the pitch.

People may say "keep it on the floor" but away from home when the pressure is on the defence that isnt always an option. Sometimes the ball needs to be cleared and the strikers need to make it stick for a while if only to relieve the pressure on the defence.

I do think they can play together, but in some situations (tough away games) they won't offer enough to the team for the full 90 minutes.

I think at home the partnership could work, Nicky's instinct has been to drop deeper and try create something for himself since his first season. Pitman is always on the Shoulder and always making the run in behind.

Unfortunately I don't think either offer enough off the ball to play them together away from home, I hope nobody naively states "if they can do it in one game, they can do it in all" because that is simply not true and stats show that. Pitman, despite his good record in front of goal is particularly lethargic off the ball and Nicky has never been good in the air either. Clarkson's ability to drop into the hole and create a little bit of space has been vital in a few of our good away performances and Stead/Keogh offer an awful lot of running and hold up play, So one of those three would IMO always be first choice in away games.

Having such a good strike force is a good thing, It opens up the prospect of different tactics (Three up front) and it means there will always be pressure on the man in possession to perform. Pitman has also shown he very good off the bench for us, which is another bonus.

I personally think it will be difficult for Maynard and Pitman to play every game together considering their styles... But it is not an impossibilty and should be tried at some point this season to see if there is a basis to form next seasons line-up from. We mustn't forget the energetic and classy Stead is on his way back, too.

All in all, we are plausibly the strongest team in the division in the centre forward area. If Millen can strengthen the Midfield and defence we'll be there or there abouts next season!

Interesting that on the OS Millen says

"I think Clarky (David Clarkson) has done a good job for the team, dropping into the hole when required. Brett could do that."

Seems that reckons Pitman can do the same but still favours Clarkson in this role but would happily try Brett in this position of clarkson doesn't perform?

That's a great shout. Let's think...

1st goal - V Leicester - 1st time strike from McAllister a ball across

2nd goal - V Sheff.Utd - Penalty

3rd goal - V Sheff.Utd - Penalty

4th goal - V Derby - 1st time from Adomah cross

5th goal - V Derby - 1st time from Adomah through ball

6th goal - V Palace - Penalty

7th goal -V Cardiff - 1st time from Stead cross

8th goal - V Q.P.R - 1st time volley

9th goal - V Preston - 1st time smash

10th goal - V Watford - 1st time smash

Yes you are right!

Just seen the pre Scunny Pitman interview and have to say he sounds like a top bloke!!

Now with Nicky and Pitman banging `em and hopefully when Steady is back he picks up from where he left off, surely we can finish in a bit more of a respectable position this season!!!

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Interesting that KM was shouting at Pitman to take the ball into the corner to waste time.

Did it ever go through Pitman's head to do that? No, his only thought was to blast the ball into the net.

Good for him, more of the same please Brett, and KM, please don't coach his natural instincts out of him.

Players like Pitman scoring cracking goals like that will get the fans flocking to the Gate. yes.gif

Yes you are right!

Have our own Michael Owen ;)

Yes you are right!

11th goal - V Burnley - foot, face, volley - had to ruin it !

Archived