IGNORED

South West Football At All Time Low

prankerd

bristol rovers, swindon, plymouth and cheltenham all will most probaly be in league 2 next season very poor for our region.

just shows we need to get this stadium soon! to boost this area and not get sucked down to their kind of level in the next couple of years.

Premier League in the next 5 years should definitely be the aim and realistically i dont know why we cant achieve this goal.englandsmile4wf.gif

Premier League in the next 5 years should definitely be the aim and realistically i dont know why we cant achieve this goal.

That was Plymouths aim last season... The only problem is 23 other Championship teams want this each season too.

In an ideal world, the pecking order would see City as by far the biggest club in the West of England (Championship or Prem), Yeovil as the second biggest club (League one, with us using them as an academy/feeder club where we can send our decent youngsters to get league games), and the rest in League Two.

We won't be far off that come August, the way things are going...

bristol rovers, swindon, plymouth and cheltenham all will most probaly be in league 2 next season very poor for our region.

just shows we need to get this stadium soon! to boost this area and not get sucked down to their kind of level in the next couple of years.

Premier League in the next 5 years should definitely be the aim and realistically i dont know why we cant achieve this goal.englandsmile4wf.gif

so true

I can't find a link, but earlier this season there was a Guardian article about the state of South West football, speculating that all the clubs from the region might end up in League One next seaon. How times change :winner_third_h4h: :winner_third_h4h: :winner_third_h4h:

if you read silly media you tend to get silly results. :tumbleweed::innocent06:

IF Rovers get relegated (and stay down in L2 for several seasons to come) and IF our new stadum gets built and IF we get into the Prem at the end of next season (or perhaps more likely the one after), then this has to be good news for the attendances at BCFC.

I know this is a lot of "Ifs" but if that all happens, it would surely add at least 10K to our average gate for home games.

I am certain die-hard old Gasheads won't switch sides, but if you were say a 15 year old living in or around Bristol with a developing interest in football, given all the possibilities above actually happening, which club would you choose to support ?

All this adds weight to SL's vision that we could regularly fill a 30k seater stadium.

I hope he is proved right.

And the fact that Rovers lost (again) today and we won handsomely away to complete a three match winning run and therefore (almost certainly) remove any fear of relegation and Maynard is back and scoring, means that the first sentence of this post is not a pipe dream - so long as BCC kick out the Village Green nonsense.

Oh and before anyone reminds me, we are not totally dependent on NM (and may well lose him in the summer if a Prem club comes in with a big bid) but it is obvious that his presence up front lifts the whole side and who could argue with that when we have just won the first three games he has appeared in (and scored one in each) since coming back from injury.

Archived