IGNORED

Pitman - How Slow ?

Cardy

When Pitman was put through how slow did he look compared to Maynard who he had just replaced? I bet Nicky couldn't believe his luck being pulled off just before that sort of through ball from Alby!

I know they may be considered different types of strikers but that one incident showed me why Maynard is the main man still.

Pitman isn't particularly slow or particularly fast either, but his reaction was slow to that ball. I think that is because he's not getting much game time at the moment. Before Maynard came back and Clarkson was getting picked Pitman looked a great deal sharper to me. He has great awareness and is a pretty good passer, I'd love to see what he could do alongside Maynard's pace and movement.

pace can only be effective if used correctly.

I did a post on here last season expressing how well we played with Maynard / Haynes / Clarkson forward line and how their pace and movement caused havoc.

Yes some of the best forwards have had pace to burn, ie Henry, Cryuff, Maradona, Lineker, messi but they had more to offer.

I never saw Solksjear, Muller, Vieri, Bergkamp win any 100m sprints but they did not half know where the goal was.

pace can only be effective if used correctly.

I did a post on here last season expressing how well we played with Maynard / Haynes / Clarkson forward line and how their pace and movement caused havoc.

Yes some of the best forwards have had pace to burn, ie Henry, Cryuff, Maradona, Lineker, messi but they had more to offer.

I never saw Solksjear, Muller, Vieri, Bergkamp win any 100m sprints but they did not half know where the goal was.

Maynard v Pitman is not a relevant comparison in football terms. Pitman is a fox in the box. Maynard is a proper, slippery 'on the shoulder' goalscorer. It's not fair on Brett to compare him as he will never be as good a player. Brett will have a career as a decent goalscorer at this level, but will never really hold down a place in a top side as he doesn't offer much else in addition to a great finish. Nicky Maynard is much better than we ever really gave him credit for before this season.

Maynard v Pitman is not a relevant comparison in football terms. Pitman is a fox in the box. Maynard is a proper, slippery 'on the shoulder' goalscorer. It's not fair on Brett to compare him as he will never be as good a player. Brett will have a career as a decent goalscorer at this level, but will never really hold down a place in a top side as he doesn't offer much else in addition to a great finish. Nicky Maynard is much better than we ever really gave him credit for before this season.

Pitmans a year younger than Maynard at 22! hes got years to develope yet, how do you know how far he'll go? the fact is you dont!!

Play Maynard and Pitman together so we can see if they can create and score for each other - I suspect with Maynard's ability to score/shoot from almost anywhere, and Pitman's ability to score in the box - they would feed off each other like newly weds covered in chocolate.

He's a decent all round player who wouldn't be out of place in any team in this division even though he's only just 23.

I think he can develop further of course but he has done a decent job whenever I've watched him live I think. Yeah, all round players are very important these days- pace isn't everything, on some levels even goals alone aren't everything- even for a striker. Movement, positional sense, linking play, decent passing- all important. Days of out and out poacher above a cerrtain level are over- I firmly believe this to be the case.

Archived