IGNORED

Bongos And Bells

CotswoldRed

Should we ban drums and instruments?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I thought Pompey fans did a great job of subduing the atmosphere last night.

City fans weren't great, but I can't help but feel that every time we we have long periods of incessant, droning noise from these drums (from the away fans in this case) that it just kills things off a little.

I am forever grateful that we no longer have instruments in the home ends (are they effectively banned now?). Is it time for a complete ban throughout the ground?

Yes please, I say.

Drums, Vuvuzelas? - its all just the same awful racket to me and gets in the way of good old fashioned fan chanting,

The atmosphere was reasonably good last night (Pompey played their part) and it was MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than the friendly stuff we had against S****horpe.

The EE stepped up last night but they have to do that on a saturday game, which hasn't happened very often this season.

BCAGFC

The atmosphere was reasonably good last night (Pompey played their part) and it was MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than the friendly stuff we had against S****horpe.

The EE stepped up last night but they have to do that on a saturday game, which hasn't happened very often this season.

BCAGFC

Interesting. S****horpe aside, I would describe last night's fan performance as lacklustre. I was in the EE and I'll take my share of the blame.

I took a Pompey friend with me yesterday and was disappointed that he couldn't experience a proper EE performance.

I think it all adds to the atmosphere. If we had a decent drum like they had then I am sure we could get more songs going plus it would keep everyone in time!

Agree with this, The drum does make the atmosphere alot better.

They also bought along a trumpet :trumpet:

Agree with this, The drum does make the atmosphere alot better.

They also bought along a trumpet :trumpet:

No problem with the drum or the cowbell, as anyone with a faint knowledge of Pompey lore know who's responsible for the latter.

The trumpet, however, was utter gash. Carnival De Paris sounded like Pop Goes The Weasel.

Didn't think it was too bad last night,but didn't really hit the heights,having said that pompey weren't their usual selves either.they don't seem to have many songs in their repotoire[?].As for the trumpteer he reminded me of the Peter Sellers goon sketch,where he gets shot time and time again but still manages to play,and gets worse and worse.

I was in the EE last night and thought it was dire! It gets slowly worse every week. There is 6 or 7 blokes that stand by the netting, one of them starts most of the chants or songs, he sings nothing but rovers related songs and I'm pretty sure he doesn't know half the words either! But what tops it off is they clap flat out while singing, they have no sense of rhythm or timing, it just completely ruins the atmosphere as half of the fans go at one pace and the rest go flat out, its seriously beyond the joke!

Yet Pompy had a drum, bell, trumpet and half of the sydney orchestra and they were loud, in time and their support was good.

Its definitely a shadow of the first season with the megaphone, red army chants and real passionate support! But i suppose we were doing really well. Can't explain it but have been in the EE 4 seasons now and its just not the same!

I was in the EE last night and thought it was dire! It gets slowly worse every week. There is 6 or 7 blokes that stand by the netting, one of them starts most of the chants or songs, he sings nothing but rovers related songs and I'm pretty sure he doesn't know half the words either! But what tops it off is they clap flat out while singing, they have no sense of rhythm or timing, it just completely ruins the atmosphere as half of the fans go at one pace and the rest go flat out, its seriously beyond the joke!

Yet Pompy had a drum, bell, trumpet and half of the sydney orchestra and they were loud, in time and their support was good.

Its definitely a shadow of the first season with the megaphone, red army chants and real passionate support! But i suppose we were doing really well. Can't explain it but have been in the EE 4 seasons now and its just not the same!

Apart from the usual I O Pompey it was just a constant drone,mish mash of different sounds,and f### me did it ever go silent[you could of heard a pin drop] when the song about always pay your tax was sung.

Apart from the usual I O Pompey it was just a constant drone,mish mash of different sounds,and f### me did it ever go silent[you could of heard a pin drop] when the song about always pay your tax was sung.

Yeah they seemed to go quiet alot when we started to sing! Was weird!

Just would like to see the EE abit more united and that bloody clapping to stop and im sure the atmosphere will get alot better!

Yeah they seemed to go quiet alot when we started to sing! Was weird!

Just would like to see the EE abit more united and that bloody clapping to stop and im sure the atmosphere will get alot better!

Must say it doesn't help when we about three song at once and all at a different speed,very confusing some times.

I dont mind the drum if it is used occassionally but it was constant last night and half the time with no rythyn, i do agree with a previous poster about different songs being sang at the same time and different speeds ruining the atmosphere, it appears we have different groups who try and outdo each other rather than being one team

Allow them every time for me! Pompeys noise spurred the EE on last night! If they hadnt made as much noise then we would not of risen to the challenge.

We have the option of drowning them out if we wanted to. Theres more of us, its whether we choose to make the effort (not only the EE).

EE was allot better last night. Still long way to go

I don't mind drums so much- provided it adds to an atmosphere as opposed to drowning it out. I'm pretty sure that those ultras out in Italy have drums and their atmosphere isn't docile- and nor do they drown out the fans.

What I do think can well and truly kill atmosphere however is an overpowering PA system with music which drowns out crowd noise and an incentive to make it is reduced.

to be fair they didnt shut up all game even when they were 2-0 down and because of the bell and the rest of the things they had it did make it harder for us to be herd as we kept being drowned out by them, thought it was a good effort from us tho!!

Archived