IGNORED

Millen Earmarked As Future Manager 7 Years Ago

Martyn Hocking

Interesting comment from KM in his interview paying tribute to Steve Lansdown. He says Lansdown made it clear to him that he wanted KM to manage the club as far back as his first appointment as Tinnion's assistant.

Though I have been underwhelmed by KM's preformance to date this season, I'm impressed by SL's forward planning. It does raise the question again, though, as to why Coppell was brought in (presumably because Lansdown didn't think Millen was ready) only for Millen to be given the job the second Coppout left.

Interesting comment from KM in his interview paying tribute to Steve Lansdown. He says Lansdown made it clear to him that he wanted KM to manage the club as far back as his first appointment as Tinnion's assistant.

Though I have been underwhelmed by KM's preformance to date this season, I'm impressed by SL's forward planning. It does raise the question again, though, as to why Coppell was brought in (presumably because Lansdown didn't think Millen was ready) only for Millen to be given the job the second Coppout left.

Imagine this was planned to be THE year for BCFC & Steve ... Steve wouldve already known his plans for stepping down as chairman, naturally he would've wanted to go out on a real high, probably thought the stadium situation would've been sorted by now, & the buzz for a good season ahead was truly created last summer... Coppell comes in, signs David James etc.. Bristol City hitting the headlines.....

Then it all went a bit Pete Tong to say the least - best laid plans 'n all that as they say, eh? - despite all the setbacks though, Steve & Colin & Keith have rode the storm steadied the ship & although still a 'work in progress' I think Steve has salvaged the situation (all of 'em) pretty well & can head of into semi-retirement proud of whats been achieved this year.

It didnt all go as planned thats for sure... but it'll be alll right on the night!!

Imagine this was planned to be THE year for BCFC & Steve ... Steve wouldve already known his plans for stepping down as chairman, naturally he would've wanted to go out on a real high, probably thought the stadium situation would've been sorted by now, & the buzz for a good season ahead was truly created last summer... Coppell comes in, signs David James etc.. Bristol City hitting the headlines.....

Then it all went a bit Pete Tong to say the least - best laid plans 'n all that as they say, eh? - despite all the setbacks though, Steve & Colin & Keith have rode the storm steadied the ship & although still a 'work in progress' I think Steve has salvaged the situation (all of 'em) pretty well & can head of into semi-retirement proud of whats been achieved this year.

It didnt all go as planned thats for sure... but it'll be alll right on the night!!

Actually I think SL was stated as staying he only stayed on this year to oversee the problems that had arisen after SC's departure.

I think Steve prefers internal promotion, which is why he wanted Brian Tinnion as manager. When that didn't work, Keith was caretaker manager but not the best candidate for the full-time job, who SL decided was Gary Johnson. When GJ left, Steve interviewed several candidates, including Keith. Mr Coppell was considered to be the "stand-out candidate". When Coppell left, Keith was deemed to be the best available candidate.

Steve has also promoted others from within, e.g. Colin Sexstone and Adam Baker (several times by the look of it). There might be more examples. If he has to look outside for candidates, he seems to prefer Hargreaves Lansdown...or just Lansdown.

I think Steve prefers internal promotion, which is why he wanted Brian Tinnion as manager. When that didn't work, Keith was caretaker manager but not the best candidate for the full-time job, who SL decided was Gary Johnson. When GJ left, Steve interviewed several candidates, including Keith. Mr Coppell was considered to be the "stand-out candidate". When Coppell left, Keith was deemed to be the best available candidate.

Steve has also promoted others from within, e.g. Colin Sexstone and Adam Baker (several times by the look of it). There might be more examples. If he has to look outside for candidates, he seems to prefer Hargreaves Lansdown...or just Lansdown.

This is a spot on observation. There are clearly upsides to internal promotion...stability and loyalty being but two...

But to link this to SL's assertion that others should have checked him at points when he went on to make costly mistakes...well, I'm afraid that appointing into positions of authority people who owe everything to you does nothing to encourage independent thought. Is it surprising that no one challenged SL when things were slipping?

I'm not sure it's done Milly any favours for the media department to allow him to share with the world that he was given the nod years ago. Doesn't suggest to the outside world or future employers that he's a dynamic guy who'd win a job in open competition.

A harsh view would be that it's all a bit too cosy at the Gate.

This is a spot on observation. There are clearly upsides to internal promotion...stability and loyalty being but two...

But to link this to SL's assertion that others should have checked him at points when he went on to make costly mistakes...well, I'm afraid that appointing into positions of authority people who owe everything to you does nothing to encourage independent thought. Is it surprising that no one challenged SL when things were slipping?

I'm not sure it's done Milly any favours for the media department to allow him to share with the world that he was given the nod years ago. Doesn't suggest to the outside world or future employers that he's a dynamic guy who'd win a job in open competition.

A harsh view would be that it's all a bit too cosy at the Gate.

A very interesting view. I do feel at times that things are a bit too cosy; too many players guaranteed a start regardless of performance for one; and the test may come for Keith when he has to make tough decisions about players who have been around a long time. Certainly if he upsets the captain he may have a problem. Right now he's Mr Popular with the players but that won't always be the case.

The issue with internal promotion is whether you encourage those you appoint to speak their mind and disagree with you. The last thing a successful organisation needs is yes men or people who take a "this is the way we always do things" approach. Steve doesn't strike me as a man who would brook no disagreement though.

Of course when Gary came in he was given power over staffing and might have chosen to replace Keith with his own man. He didn't, hence Keith is where he is. I trust people will remember that. I'm sure Keith does.

A very interesting view. I do feel at times that things are a bit too cosy; too many players guaranteed a start regardless of performance for one; and the test may come for Keith when he has to make tough decisions about players who have been around a long time. Certainly if he upsets the captain he may have a problem. Right now he's Mr Popular with the players but that won't always be the case.

The issue with internal promotion is whether you encourage those you appoint to speak their mind and disagree with you. The last thing a successful organisation needs is yes men or people who take a "this is the way we always do things" approach. Steve doesn't strike me as a man who would brook no disagreement though.

Of course when Gary came in he was given power over staffing and might have chosen to replace Keith with his own man. He didn't, hence Keith is where he is. I trust people will remember that. I'm sure Keith does.

I remember being surprised GJ didn't bring his assistant Steve Thompson with him from Yeovil as they seemed to be a close knit duo who had enjoyed a lot of success together.

Perhaps he was made aware that KM was here for the long haul at interview?

As for 'tough decisions and KM maybe having problems if he upsets the Captain', as you put it, well a tough decision needs to be made shortly about giving Louis Carey a new contract - or not, as the case may be.

He has all the attributes of a good manager and I think he will only get better at the job \o/

I remember being surprised GJ didn't bring his assistant Steve Thompson with him from Yeovil as they seemed to be a close knit duo who had enjoyed a lot of success together.

Perhaps he was made aware that KM was here for the long haul at interview?

As for 'tough decisions and KM maybe having problems if he upsets the Captain', as you put it, well a tough decision needs to be made shortly about giving Louis Carey a new contract - or not, as the case may be.

in my opinion you have to consider more than just playing ability with players like Carey.

if he helps keep the dressing room together and close knit then you have to consider that too.

I always thought Scott Murray was an important figure in the dressing room and we should of considered that before releasing him. Things werent the same after he left.

in my opinion you have to consider more than just playing ability with players like Carey.

if he helps keep the dressing room together and close knit then you have to consider that too.

I always thought Scott Murray was an important figure in the dressing room and we should of considered that before releasing him. Things werent the same after he left.

I've no idea whether Carey has a positive, negative, or no particular effect either way on the togetherness in the dressing room.

I'd have to disagree on Scott getting the extra year he did, let alone another one as you suggest - he went out on loan to Cheltenham early in the season and hardly played for City at all if I remember rightly, so wasn't really around to affect dressing room morale.

There's no room for giving contracts on sentiment and that last season he wasn't value for money imo.

I would say sometimes City have been over generous when handing out contracts and perhaps guilty of keeping players too long.

I did hear at the time of Tinnions appointment from a very good source that Keith Millen was SL's first choice ahead of Tinnion but he was concerned that fans wouldn't take to Keith so appointed Tinnion instead.

Maybe he read this forum ?

The sacking of GJ was mainly down to negativity among the fans (this place being the most obvious example of that) perhaps he saw Coppell as being No 1 choice on one of our polls and decided to go get him.

Just a thought, probably a load of rubbish.

Maybe he read this forum ?

The sacking of GJ was mainly down to negativity among the fans (this place being the most obvious example of that) perhaps he saw Coppell as being No 1 choice on one of our polls and decided to go get him.

Just a thought, probably a load of rubbish.

I`m sorry, but do you really think a man with SL business acumen would make decisions based on fans opinions ? It`s a results based business and unfortunately things were pear-shaped on and off the pitch, it was time for a change, simples.

PDG

I`m sorry, but do you really think a man with SL business acumen would make decisions based on fans opinions ? It`s a results based business and unfortunately things were pear-shaped on and off the pitch, it was time for a change, simples.

PDG

I think any chairman worth his salt uses fan opinion as part of the decision making process.

Lansdown said at the appointment of Coppell and again at the appointment of Millen, that he did feel once he'd looked at all the people who had applied that the only one stood out was Coppell, if Coppell hadn't been interested (which turned out he wasn't) then job was going to go to Millen anyway. When you compare the other people who were being mentioned at the time, realistically after Coppell there wasn't much else of interest, to be honest I wouldn't have been too keen on likes of George Burley personally, The likes of O'Driscoll and Curbishley weren't interested and the only other possibles 2 for me were Eddie Howe and Tisdale.

Eddie Howe would probably have been my favorite after Coppell, but if he was looking towards Millen long term, why appoint another young manager?

I think everyone said the same thing after Gary went....anyone but Millen, but he did a great job of turning the club around late last season and got us playing some good stuff which is why I felt he should have been given the chance after Coppell's copout.

It's been a tough 12months since, but looking forward I think we have the right man, but the next 12months will be a good sign of where the club is actually going.

I think everyone said the same thing after Gary went....anyone but Millen, but he did a great job of turning the club around late last season and got us playing some good stuff which is why I felt he should have been given the chance after Coppell's copout.

It's been a tough 12months since, but looking forward I think we have the right man, but the next 12months will be a good sign of where the club is actually going.

Fair comments Donald - as I recall, only about 2% of people wanted Millen to replace GJ permanently in a totally unscientific OTIB poll at the end of last season (and that was AFTER KM had saved our season) - the jury is still very much out for me, but by Christmas we will know a lot more. I'd be delighted to be proved completely wrong in my initial criticism of Millen - I'll be a million times happier saying 'I was wrong' if we are sitting proudly inside the top 10 in December, than saying 'told you so' if we are languishing at the wrong end of the table

Archived