IGNORED

Email Best One?

Markman

I was using btconnect through outlook but cannot use it anymore so was thinking of

hotmail?

gmail?

Wanadoo?

yahoo?

any recomendations or ones to steer clear of?

Thanks

I use both yahoo and gmail and both are pretty decent. It really depends what you want from your account. Yahoo's great if you get loads of e-mails, as it filters spam into a different inbox. Do you need it just for e-mails, or to chat, sync with other apps, etc ...?

There's a list here of free ones ...

http://www.internet-guide.co.uk/free-email-accounts.html

I have heard good things about Freeola. Hushmail is a bit clumsy to use.

Definitely gmail. Leaps and bounds beyond the rest in terms of it's ease of use and speed. You can also easily upload all your existing email so it's searchable and filterable. And it supports OpenID so you can use your gmail account to access other non google sites but only have to remember your one password.

If you have a smart phone it will almost certainly sync with gmail not just your mails but also your contacts and calendar. Gone are the days of copying things across sim cards.

Also really worth using google reader if there are sites you check regularly that publish rss feeds (like bcfc.co.uk) and when you add things like google docs and picasa it won't be long before you need very little other than a browser installed on your computer.

But do not forget that GOOGLE scans every email to have personified ads send to the users...

Privacy and GOOGLE do not belong together too much...

http://www.google.com/intl/en-GB/privacy/

That's not really fair, google's privacy policy is very clear and written in simple english and they provide a number of tools to let users get their data in and out of google services as well as opt out of advertising tracking.

Compare them to another company (yahoo, microsoft etc) and they're light years ahead in terms of privacy.

Keyword scanning of email is completely automated, nobody reads your mail.

If I sound like a google fanboi I freely admit it - I am a big fan and I'd love to work there. Smart company doing things properly - still run by engineers - very rare these days particularly at their size.

http://www.google.co.../en-GB/privacy/

That's not really fair, google's privacy policy is very clear and written in simple english and they provide a number of tools to let users get their data in and out of google services as well as opt out of advertising tracking.

Compare them to another company (yahoo, microsoft etc) and they're light years ahead in terms of privacy.

Keyword scanning of email is completely automated, nobody reads your mail.

If I sound like a google fanboi I freely admit it - I am a big fan and I'd love to work there. Smart company doing things properly - still run by engineers - very rare these days particularly at their size.

Actually I think my English is quite OK and I think I'm able to understand their policies... :)

I have an account with Gmail as well, but I do not like the look + structure and that "chat" function, so I'm not often using it.

Archived