IGNORED

England Captain Debate

The Batman

Capello is awful - I have always said this.

The players need a reality check.

Why is representing England a curse??

We could do it the Italian way and give the captaincy to the highest capped player in the team . . . . . . . .cue Ashley Cole (dont think it would go down too well)

Could do with Brian Clough and Peter Taylor (his right hand man, not the former England U21 boss) resurrecting and given the job they should have had 30 years ago.

Roll on 2012 when someone else gets given the opportunity. (hopefully)

CL with AC Milan, La Liga with Real Madrid in his only 2 seasons there, Serie A with Roma etc suggest Capello is far from awful as a manager.

Personally, I think too much importance is placed on the captaincy in English football. It doesn't seem so important in countries who have won more Euros/WCs than us. Problems go deeper than who is captain IMO.

As for Capello, yeah his u-turn here isn't great, and neither is his oddly persistent/dogmatic stance in terms of 4-4-2 at all costs. Did he only ever play 4-4-2 with Real Madrid, Juventus, Roma, AC Milan....

I have an issue with the medals he won.

Not being funny but anyone could have won everything with Milan with a team that had Maldini, Van Basten, Guillet, Rjkaard, Baresi. etc

having the Galacticos such as Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo etc as well.

Roma, fair play, but having Batistuta in his peak helped.

Too little emphisis on the quality of players he had at his disposal to begin with.

Is this discussion about England captaincy or England in general ?

First off :

I was enemy no. 1 at work and in local pubs running around in an England jersey as a German during the WC. :yes:

So I'm well beyond the German-England rivalry.

England will never ever be close to a squad capable of winning anything as long as teams like Chelsea, Arsenal, ManU etc. which play European competitions on a regular basis only have one or two 30+ English players on their rosters.

When the lights of Gerrard, Lampart, Terry or Cole retire, who will be coming next ?

And where should those "fresh" players supposed to be coming from ?

Also not to be forgotten :

Sorry, I do not want to offend anyone, but as long guys like Seaman, Green or Hart are considered "good goalkeepers" England won't be going anywhere...

I think the last goalkeeper playing pretty good constantly for England was Peter Shilton...

And to captaincy :

What about Barry ??

Experienced, presence on the pitch and not much fuzz about him on the media.

Calm + cool.:englandsmile4wf:

mr p - just a general discussion about how Capello keeps going back on his words. in the past, it was playing players who were in form and playing well for the club. ie Adam Johnson not being picked for World Cup but Shaun Wright Phillips was AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH. He is going back on his words about the England Captaincy now. We are over hyped. It is all well and good having good players, but a good team wins games.

Duesseldorf - Seaman was a good keeper, give Hart some time he will come good. No way Barry should be anywhere near the England Set Up. If it was up to me, Scott Parker should be taking his place and possibly the captaincy too. What he does for West Ham is immense and no-one else in the England team would be able to do what he does.

Nibor - each to their own. I used to go to the England games when Wembley was being built, I was at the 0-0 draw with Macedonia at Old Trafford, it was a sad day. Aint been since, I still watch them on TV, i would not go anymore. Aint realy been excited about England in a tournament since 2002 World Cup in all honesty. Granted I have still watched the tournaments since.

I have an issue with the medals he won.

As a club manager he won something like 9 league title's in 16 years - in italy and spain - with four different clubs.

Thats pretty special - suddenly he comes here and is crap? we need to look closer to home.

I dislike Terry, Think the way he acts around Referee's is disgusting, But looking through the team he is the only "leader"

Always thought Carragher was the "leader" at Liverpool, even though SG wears the armband.

anyway, Terry's just keeping the armband warm for Caulker in a couple of years :englandsmile4wf:

Archived