IGNORED

Maynard's Second

Nibor

Shocking decision - but then all three officials made consistently inconsistent decisons all game (If you get what I mean!).

The incident that led to that free kick, I think, was the one where the Burneley defender deliberately impeded Pitman who'd knocked te ball past him. Can anyone tell me what was the difference between that and the one 10 mins earlier when Damien Stewart blocked their guy. Apart from the fact that one resulted in a booking and the other didn't.

Being a ref myself, it is hard to judge offsides close as this one as the linesman has to be looking in 2 places at once, down the line, and at the ball. theres always gonna be a split second gap between looking at one to the other. Just gotta hope we get some decisions like that down the other end go our way when it matters.

Being a ref myself, it is hard to judge offsides close as this one as the linesman has to be looking in 2 places at once, down the line, and at the ball. theres always gonna be a split second gap between looking at one to the other. Just gotta hope we get some decisions like that down the other end go our way when it matters.

I thought linesmen were supposed to be watching the line and either listening for the ball being struck or using peripheral vision?

Shocking decision - but then all three officials made consistently inconsistent decisons all game (If you get what I mean!).

The incident that led to that free kick, I think, was the one where the Burneley defender deliberately impeded Pitman who'd knocked te ball past him. Can anyone tell me what was the difference between that and the one 10 mins earlier when Damien Stewart blocked their guy. Apart from the fact that one resulted in a booking and the other didn't.

Problem with that argument is he did book the Burnley bloke.........

Looks like it was a mistake and Maynard timed his run well, I do have to say though that I thought the ref was good and one of the better ones this season.

I agree it's hard , and that's why the lines person should give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker if he/she appears only just offside. But they don't.

Problem with that argument is he did book the Burnley bloke.........

Looks like it was a mistake and Maynard timed his run well, I do have to say though that I thought the ref was good and one of the better ones this season.

Ref wasn't too bad but I was bemused to why he kept giving burnely free kicks when one of our players tackled from behind didn't touch the other guy actually got the ball. I noticed it happened on several occasions.

Can't agree with that in this situation. For a set-piece like this on the other side of the pitch the assistant refs sole focus should be on the offside. At his angle he will be able to see when the kick is about to be taken from his peripheral vision. Fair enough when the ball is in open play but at a set-piece like this the assistant ref should be fully concentrated on the second to last defender.

It shows a lack of concentration from an official - the score was 2-0, nice sunny day, game starting to peter out...

I am always inclined to back the referee, especially in the premier league - Ferguson and Wenger always blame the ref when something happens they dont like, but the job is about impossible when you have players diving and cheating. When their lot do it and it comes off they think its great, but when something happens to them then its terrible, like the Rooney elbow - that scum could have seriously injured mccarthy and man u were laughing about it saying they would back the referees decision!

When you have a tight offside you are talking a fraction of a second to spot it, with no replays. It was unlucky for us, but we will get one go for us soon, hopefully in a tighter game.

It is hard - I've had a go at refereeing myself.

I always watched the player who is going to be onside/offiside and tried to following the kicker of the ball with peripheral vision - all at once. Try focussing on both and you'll hardly ever get it right without guessing.

All tackles from behind - irrespective of whether the ball is won or contact with the opponent is made - are now deemed as fouls due to their dangerous nature. Recent FIFA directive.

Incorrect.

FIFA have removed any mention of a tackle from behind from the laws. It is now for the referee to decide whether a tackle from whatever angle endangers the safety of an opponent. It is, however, likely that a tackle from behind has a high risk factor and will therefore be penalised.

some games you get them some you don't,

Not to bothered about it as we were 2-0 up and for the first time since Cardiff game I came away happy from Ashton gate with a good performance from all involved pertically Maynard Pitman Johnson and Elliot

Incorrect.

FIFA have removed any mention of a tackle from behind from the laws. It is now for the referee to decide whether a tackle from whatever angle endangers the safety of an opponent. It is, however, likely that a tackle from behind has a high risk factor and will therefore be penalised.

It can be viewed as pedantic but it is frustrating to hear managers and pundits using this and other similar phrases like the dreaded "last man" when discussing situations when there is no reference to them in law.

I agree. As a former ref myself I think that the I'll-informed statements of pundits create false impressions amongst fans, most of whom have never studied the rules.

My favourite is "ball-to-hand, ref!" and the assumption that any tackle is fine as long as the ball is touched first; it is not.

However, I have noticed that one really has to stay up to date with the directives (eg the ever-changing

To be fair, on some occasions with long balls hit fast it is extremely difficult.

I wouldn't disagree that it can be difficult to use peripheral vision, far more so in open play than on set plays, but you can usually hear a ball being struck. It takes less than a tenth of a second for that sound to travel a hundred feet. Watching a ball being struck and changing your vision to look along a line and then refocusing can't ever be as quick and therefore as accurate IMO. It doesn't matter how fast a ball is hit either.

Honestly I think the real problem is that it is not psychologically natural to give the attacker the advantage when there is doubt so in practise it almost never happens.

To be fair, on some occasions with long balls hit fast it is extremely difficult.

Exactly..........I try to avoid moaning about officials......the job is difficult enough with cheating players and non respectful managers etc having a go all the while

What we have to remember is that without them (good or bad) .....there would be no games for us to enjoy....end of

I wouldn't disagree that it can be difficult to use peripheral vision, far more so in open play than on set plays, but you can usually hear a ball being struck. It takes less than a tenth of a second for that sound to travel a hundred feet. Watching a ball being struck and changing your vision to look along a line and then refocusing can't ever be as quick and therefore as accurate IMO. It doesn't matter how fast a ball is hit either.

Honestly I think the real problem is that it is not psychologically natural to give the attacker the advantage when there is doubt so in practise it almost never happens.

have you ever run the line at a game?

I always found that it was actually harder to run the line than it was to be in the middle, and many of my more senior colleagues agreed with me. It's not just the division of attention between ball being played and the back line, but also between fouls and watching for last contact for a throw, up the entire line.

Archived