IGNORED

Failand Training Gallery

DC Red

As a kids soccer coach here in the Washington DC area, I was a little disturbed by some of the training photos that were posted today on the official club website...

One in particular was a photo of David James hanging from a portable goal. A local child died a few years ago from doing exactly this activity. You can read the story at Haydens Goal. I know he's a professional and knows what he is doing, but I would hate to think that young fans viewing this photo gallery would try and emulate it.

On a related note, I thought it was interesting that no-one appeared to be wearing shin pads. It is club policy here that all kids of every age must wear them for all games and practices. Again, is this a good example to be setting?

Sorry for the rant, but I feel strongly on this.

Here's to a good end of season and hope we get no more injuries...!

A tragic story and life is full of them. When i were lad I did some much crazy shit I cringe thinking about it, yet here I am still, thankfully.

Gotta live life to the full imo, cant live life worrying about things out of your control, of course you can minimize risk like ensuring goal posts are correctly erected, look both ways at the pelican crossing, eat greens, don't get pissed up and drive etc.

We have never lived in safer times, we are living longer and longer and thats good.

I know two children who have had to receive hospital treatment after swinging from goals (one was unconscious and needed an ambulance).

Useful thread, if you are involved in youth football then always tell the kids off for swinging on the goals (in particular the metal mini-soccer goals) and tell them why.

The other thing you need to be careful off is how they are stored, if they are metal posts they should be tethered to something - kids will swing on anything and a metal goal propped up against a fence is potentially lethal.

I too am a youth football coach locally in Bristol and I always tell the lads clowing around in any capacity could injure (I never go as far to say kill). We play with plastic goals so if I see them attempt to swing they get the 'hair dryer' from me :whistle2:

As they get older and move up the ranks the message will not change. I also seen the photo of James on the cross bar and assume he was doing pull ups and yes, as an adult would get away with it, but a child is in deep danger.

Shin pads is a must as without them I don't allow them to train or play and parents know that. However, I always carry spares as kids shouldn't miss out because parents couldn't get them dressed properly :) .

MM

I can assure you that the goals at Failand are secure - they roll in to place and are then locked down with a lever.

All the small goals used by the younger players are weighted down appropriately.

I can assure you that any boy I coach gets a telling off if they swing on them, but surely Jamo is having a bit of fun and there is nothing wrong in that , why not use it as a picture/image to say that adults can do this but for children its dangerous and shouldn't be done.

Any way we have a duty of care to every child we coach to ensure the environment we are in is safe and secure - which includes the goalposts.

Archived