IGNORED

Some Bloke Called Messi

The Batman

scored his 48th goal of the season in the Champions League game vs Shaktar the other day. New spanish record.

I know people say you cant compare players from the olden days to the players who play in modern football. But he must close to the greatest ever now.

But will we see any player like this ever again?

Is there anyone out there who does not think he's that good??

Granted he plays in the best team but let's be honest, he aint like a Ruud Van Nistelrooy type striker who stands in the 6 yard box all game and has it put on a plate for him.

Will need to win a world cup to confirm "the greatest ever" though.

I would say he is better than anyone else to have ever played the game including Pele, Maradona, Cruyff etc to be breaking records at the standard football is played at today is ridiculous, he is likely to get 60 goals this season which when you consider the likes of Spurs, Liverpool etc only get that in total for the season puts in to perspective. He is also already Barca's all-time leading scorer in Europe at the age of 22? They've had some decent players over the years too!!

looking forward to the 4 "el Clasico" matches over next few weeks.

I just facebooked a friend of mine in spain who's a Real Madrid fan saying if they are lucky, they will get a draw out of one of the games and lose the rest.

Sky's advertising has been Ronaldo vs messi at the end of the advert. as said by internetjef above, Ronaldo is really the only player that comes anywhere near him.

I think we are lucky that we have so much "access" to watching him play. in the age of Spanish football on sky and the internet. The days of Cruyff, Pele, John Atyeo etc didn't have that. Only few clips available.

Dont think he was that great last night. I think the whole game was a disgrace to football.

Spanish football - supposed to be great, but every time I see Spain or barca play I am disappointed. I like there principles but it don't have get boring watching slow passing football

Barca last night - they didn't look very good until pepe was sent off, only then did they look like a decent team - I don't see that as an achievement. They had to get a man sent off ffs! I'm sure they are proud, but they shouldn't be - real had they contained and would have come on strong at the end of the game.

Messi - now of course he is a talent. But would he be a talent if he was in England?? He was very quiet until real went down to ten men..... Now 4 points to consider before wan king over his goal. 1. Would he have scored that goal against 10 men? 2. Real players were scared of him or were they scared that of they went near him, he might go down and they might end up getting more cards? 3. Would he have scored that goal in the prem, where he the defender would put in a decent challenge? 4. Did messi's goal take a deflection before going in? If you watch the replay carefully you will see it takes a deflection and I think it was going wide.

Spanish football - supposed to be great, but every time I see Spain or barca play I am disappointed. I like there principles but it don't have get boring watching slow passing football

...And while this attitude remains prevalent here, it's why we won't win the WC. Mourinho was defensive last night for a reason...Barcelona 5 v Real Madrid 0 last December when he was more adventorous. As for football comparison points, it's all subjective, patience, probing etc. Part of the reason for the slow passing etc- well if you watch games vs Barca or Spain, it is because they are of such quality that almost everyone tries massed defence vs them, or pressing like mad. So yeah in a way I can see the boring point because these teams, when was the last time we saw Spain or Barca genuinely outpassed or outfootballed!?

Dont think he was that great last night. I think the whole game was a disgrace to football.

Barca last night - they didn't look very good until pepe was sent off, only then did they look like a decent team - I don't see that as an achievement. They had to get a man sent off ffs! I'm sure they are proud, but they shouldn't be - real had they contained and would have come on strong at the end of the game.

Messi - now of course he is a talent. But would he be a talent if he was in England?? He was very quiet until real went down to ten men..... Now 4 points to consider before wan king over his goal. 1. Would he have scored that goal against 10 men? 2. Real players were scared of him or were they scared that of they went near him, he might go down and they might end up getting more cards? 3. Would he have scored that goal in the prem, where he the defender would put in a decent challenge? 4. Did messi's goal take a deflection before going in? If you watch the replay carefully you will see it takes a deflection and I think it was going wide.

All fair points, but I must say that what looks certain to be a Man U v Barca final certainly gets me excited.

I should mention that until my first love BCFC get into the Prem, Man U have always been my favourite top flight English club.

Ryan Giggs, what a player.

Archived