IGNORED

Millen V Johnson

Hicksy-BCFC

Just thinking about this on way into work. Millen has caught a bit of stick in the past but in my opinion the side that can turn out for us which is a majority Millen side -

James, McAllister, Caulker, Fontaine, Spence, Elliott, Cisse, Pitman, Adomah, Stead, Maynard

Is a better side than ANY Johnson put out in his whole reign?

Wos reckon?

Johnson took us to promotion and a play-off final and 3 top ten finishes,

Millen is about to take us to out worst place finish in the championship since we were relegated in 99, Not completely his fault however,

You can not compare the two until next season

also out of that team only 4 players are Millens one who doesn't play for the club anymore Caulker one on loan Spence, Pitman and Stead

James, Cisse Adomah are Coppells

McAllister Elliot Maynard Fontaine are Johnson's

again can't compare the two

Promotion, Play off final and 1 top 10 finish not 3 (2 if you include the play off season but thats double counting)

Agree you cant compare yet, next season we will.

when he took over from tinnion we finished 9th (i think) following the play-off final we finished 10th twice

sorry you were right I was counting the season he left the club because it was still his players that managed the 10th finish but should be excluded

Towards the end he also brought us some of the worst brand of football I have seen down there. Hoof and hope long ball!, players fighting in the changing room, and an inability to drop his son.

I agree its hard to compare the two without Millen having a full season but I have a lot of hope with the side he is playing and the brand of wide attacking football.

Remember Johnson's style of push the wingers in and pack the middle.

You can say he took us up, he would also have taken us down.

Maynard aside he also brought in some of the worst forwards I've seen.

Towards the end he also brought us some of the worst brand of football I have seen down there. Hoof and hope long ball!, players fighting in the changing room, and an inability to drop his son.

I agree its hard to compare the two without Millen having a full season but I have a lot of hope with the side he is playing and the brand of wide attacking football.

Remember Johnson's style of push the wingers in and pack the middle.

You can say he took us up, he would also have taken us down.

Maynard aside he also brought in some of the worst forwards I've seen.

Ithought he'd been on loan at derby then

Impossible to judge until Millens had a full preseason and next season to mould his team the way he wants it.

Top 10 finishes are fine by me with the resources we have. If that gets us in the playoffs thats great. But its such a tight league usually I dont think it should be the be all and end all so long as we're competative.

Millen has a long way to go to equal Johnson. Our promotion team was immesnse

Aside from Orr, how many when leaving are playing at a higher level?

Most are playing League One or League Two or worse.

Johnson himself is managing a shit club at a shit standard.

That usually speaks volumes on ability.

I always said players like McCombe who he stuck with were out of their depth. Where did he go?

Jevons? League Two.

Basso?

Jennison Myrie Williams?

Come can you really say his League 1 side would be our current side??

You not comparing like for like. I am simply saying the style and team Millen plays now would beat any side GJ put out.

sorry he only started 18 games last season so I fail to see how thats being picked week in week out by a year

exactly.

he played regularly when we got promoted so thats fine.

he played regularly when we made the playoff final so thats fine.

he played regularly when we finished 10th so the manager bought Hartley for the next season. Hartley started twice as many games as Johnson the following season.

Johnson took us to promotion and a play-off final and 3 top ten finishes,

Millen is about to take us to out worst place finish in the championship since we were relegated in 99, Not completely his fault however,

You can not compare the two until next season

also out of that team only 4 players are Millens one who doesn't play for the club anymore Caulker one on loan Spence, Pitman and Stead

James, Cisse Adomah are Coppells

McAllister Elliot Maynard Fontaine are Johnson's

again can't compare the two

weren't pitman and stead millen's signings?

No contest, Johnson still sits highest (and o would consider myself a staunch supporter of Keith)

One thing not considered is that Millen's squad despite it's flaws is one of established championship players, Johnson took over a club with a drinking problem and full of over-rated shite from the previous regime! (sounds familiar!!!)

Using Johnson's current employers as a stick to beat him with is also poorly played... The man is rebuilding his reputation after taking a gamble at Peterborough, fair play to the man.

The last remaining player out of his depth at this level is also a Johnson and L1 promotion player.

I'm not anti-Johnson, far from it, but he would have taken us down and the side we have now is far better than any of his.

thats not true unless we lost every game until the end of that season,

I think Johnson left us on 47 points and Sheffield Wednesday went down on 47 points so in hindsight we only need 1 more draw to stay up that season, I think out of the 12 or so games to go odds were that we would of picked up a draw and so he wouldn't of taken us down,

The last remaining player out of his depth at this level is also a Johnson and L1 promotion player.

I'm not anti-Johnson, far from it, but he would have taken us down and the side we have now is far better than any of his.

define 'out of his depth'

as I see it all our teams in the championship have finished well clear of relegation. so if players are out of their depth, how are they better than at least half the teams at the level they are playing at?

No contest, Johnson still sits highest (and o would consider myself a staunch supporter of Keith)

One thing not considered is that Millen's squad despite it's flaws is one of established championship players, Johnson took over a club with a drinking problem and full of over-rated shite from the previous regime! (sounds familiar!!!)

Using Johnson's current employers as a stick to beat him with is also poorly played... The man is rebuilding his reputation after taking a gamble at Peterborough, fair play to the man.

Doesn't look like it at Northampton, more like the opposite, when he took over I believe they were five points adrft of the playoffs!

Now they're two points above relegation and cant buy a win, and reading some of the post on 606 not a happy bunch of fans, poor defence, lack of flair, poor signings, lacking creativity, sound familiar!

Certainly a stark contrast to all those ideas that when GJ leaves us he'd go on to bigger things.

I feel that as great has he did with us his problem was not being open to change, what works at one club wont always work at another.

define 'out of his depth'

as I see it all our teams in the championship have finished well clear of relegation. so if players are out of their depth, how are they better than at least half the teams at the level they are playing at?

you forget we've played with 10 men for the last 6 years..........................

Anyone with eyesight and even a basic understanding of requirements of football at this level can see he is out of his depth.

Take the game just gone at Millwall, made mistake after mistake and put easily 90% of his forward balls to their man or the keeper.

Simply saying because we are not bottom he is not out of his depth is absurd.

The worst player we had for a while in Andy Smith played when we won games. He was still awful.

Anyone with eyesight and even a basic understanding of requirements of football at this level can see he is out of his depth.

Take the game just gone at Millwall, made mistake after mistake and put easily 90% of his forward balls to their man or the keeper.

The worst player we had for a while in Andy Smith played when we won games. He was still awful.

so out of his depth now or always has been?

He is out of his depth at this level of football.

It has got progressively worse as his pace has dropped and his confidence has also fallen.

the time has come to replace him has come I agree and both Johnson and now Millen have both recognised that and addressed it.

to say he has always been out of his depth at this level is nonsense. unless you think a team can finish where we have while carrying a central midfielder. Which would also be nonsense.

Two very very differant styles of management. Two very differ ant characters, hard to compare the two managers on what they have achieved as GJ would beat KM hands down.

KM is the new style of manager, tech savvy etc, GJ was old skool in the Clough mould. Love them both though!

As for the players, well the players we have now are benchmark Champ players, but GJ's boys got to 1 goal from the Prem so...

Millens team is more exciting, has younger players (if including Loanees) and has much more ability.

Johnson's teams were more disciplined and hard to beat.

Granted we can only really compare after next season, but I would rather watch Millen's teams based on this seasons performances. What I liked about Johnson's reign was the fortress that AG became in the promotion and playoff season. I never really came to a game predicting a loss even vs Man City in the league cup. Can't say the same for Millen this season although home form has improved recently.

Johnson didn't play against Millwall Skuse and Elliot started in the middle,

or if your talking about mcallister then I feel sorry as he had Woolford infront of him who isn't very good I really feel millen has made a balls up signing him, but with the other players Teflon has brought in this can be forgiven

Archived