IGNORED

Stead Vs Clarkson

David Clarkson has come under much scrutiny by City fans whereas Jon Stead has been hailed as an excellent signing by Keith Millen.

Jon Stead's role is obvious, win the ball in the air or into feet and either shoot or assist like any good target man should. His excellent work ethic and skills in the air have earned him 6 goals and 4 assists.

David Clarkson has never found a place in City fans hearts and was played as an out and out forward on his first season at Ashton Gate, despite getting 15 goals for Motherwell the season before, playing behind the striker. Millen has played him more and more in the role he played at Motherwell and has earned him self 5 assists and 7 goals, with most appearances from the bench. That puts him 2nd on the goal scoring table for City and 2nd in assists.

Jon Stead is a great Striker and long may it continue...but lets start leaving Clarkson alone

Stead Clarkson

Goals 6 7

Assists 4 5

Aside of those stats, i think it would b fair to say clarkson is pants and will never make a championship player aslong as he comes from scotland n has a hole in his backside. Hes so slow on the ball. For instance, 2nd half clean thru n took so long to shoot he had it blocked. Hes too slow n unintelligent for this level. U can claim hard work which he does quite well but given a bit of fitness, anyone can run around for 90 mins. He just aint good enuf, full stop.

He just aint good enuf, full stop.

I think you should be the next manager....great technical analysis...

Give the bloke a break....he's done well in that role behind a main striker/s this year.....obviously never gonna start every game but come on, every club needs squad players...some people esp on here are just too idiotic to realise that

You are just going by stats.. its exactly the same as the 'we have won more games with LJ in the side' saga. I'm not having a go, i'm just saying that you need actually watch them during the game and it tells a different story.

Luke x

I was frustrated yes but he was played out of position. He is not good enough to play centre forward but neither is Cisse. Play any player in the correct positions and they will play well. I feel he has assists because he tries things that no other player will. He does give away the ball often but usually looking for 'that' pass we don't seem to have.

Well, after today's performance I'm amazed Clarkson came out for the second half.

Your stats don't indicate how much Stead helps the team out versus Clarkson who seems to be lethargic at best.

This. Stead has a good all round game, can hold the ball up, decent in the air, great first touch and works his bollocks off as well. Clarkson is capable of contributing positively once or twice a match, but is largely a passenger for the rest of the game. He's slow, weak, a decent enough finisher I suppose but not excellent by any means.

Stead is a much better player than Clarkson.

David Clarkson has come under much scrutiny by City fans whereas Jon Stead has been hailed as an excellent signing by Keith Millen.

Jon Stead's role is obvious, win the ball in the air or into feet and either shoot or assist like any good target man should. His excellent work ethic and skills in the air have earned him 6 goals and 4 assists.

David Clarkson has never found a place in City fans hearts and was played as an out and out forward on his first season at Ashton Gate, despite getting 15 goals for Motherwell the season before, playing behind the striker. Millen has played him more and more in the role he played at Motherwell and has earned him self 5 assists and 7 goals, with most appearances from the bench. That puts him 2nd on the goal scoring table for City and 2nd in assists.

Jon Stead is a great Striker and long may it continue...but lets start leaving Clarkson alone

Stead Clarkson

Goals 6 7

Assists 4 5

Don't really look at stats to be honest.

I rate Clarkson but he was poor today, possibly the worst of the lot. Stead was MOM. Include that in your stats then we'll see who has a bigger impact on the team. (Your post does state Stead v Clarkson)

Going forward, I don't see why both can't influence our progress.

Stead Clarkson

Goals 6 7

Assists 4 5

Bogus argument: Clarkson's played 6 more times than Stead this season. (and anyway, it's Marv who is 2nd in the goal scoring table)

Bogus argument: Clarkson's played 6 more times than Stead this season. (and anyway, it's Marv who is 2nd in the goal scoring table)

Forgot to look at appearances but 6 more apps yes, but loads off the bench (17 compared to steads 3 sub apps), and I got stats off official site, Clarkson is joint 2nd.

Forgot to look at appearances but 6 more apps yes, but loads off the bench (17 compared to steads 3 sub apps), and I got stats off official site, Clarkson is joint 2nd.

Elliott now on 8 goals. See Soccerbase which is kept more up-to-date than the OS.

Elliott now on 8 goals. See Soccerbase which is kept more up-to-date than the OS.

Apologies, I'm gunna presume then that stead also has 7 goals then. But the point I'm trying to make is in terms of goals and assists, Clarkson has had a slightly better season with the sameish game time. Jusy he gets a lot of abuse when he has done better than people seem to think. I hate it when players are unjustly assaulted by the fans. The only player I would ever critisise as a scapegoat this year is Hunt

Seems obvious that although Clarkson is an intelligent footballer (who has played excellently in the hole for us) he does not have enough upper body strength to play up front.

He is constantly pushed off the ball or falls over.

By contrast Maynard has obviously worked hard in the gym to make himself strong enough to hold off defenders who are much bigger than him.

If Clarkson can put in the work on his upper body strength he may still make it for us but I doubt if this will happen.

Stead is the most accomplished footballer we have.

But the point I'm trying to make is in terms of goals and assists, Clarkson has had a slightly better season with the sameish game time.

Better season than who? Apart from about 4 games, he's done nothing this year!

He's got the attributes to become a good 'in-the-hole' player, but he just doesn't do it. He touched the ball about 6 times on monday, once to set up Jordan Spence to cross it for Stead's goal and 5 mis-controls or rubbish passes.

Your forgetting Clarkson has been here since 2009 and knows the squad, this is only Steads first season.

On average Clarkson has scored just over 1 goal in 5 games.

Stead has just under 1 goal in 4 games.

So, only goals count then? Actually albeit at a totally different level there is an interesting debate going on about Rooney. IMO to only measure a striker by goals- unless they're really prolific, is a bit of a simplistic approach.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/apr/26/the-question-man-utd-goals-rooney

The same could actually be said about Clarkson to a small extent.

So, only goals count then? Actually albeit at a totally different level there is an interesting debate going on about Rooney. IMO to only measure a striker by goals- unless they're really prolific, is a bit of a simplistic approach.

http://www.guardian....td-goals-rooney

The same could actually be said about Clarkson to a small extent.

Rooney has scored 101 goals in 212 games for United.

Hardly bad

Even accepting the idea that clarkson isn't rubbish (which he isn't, just that i don't think it'd be hard to do better), the argument of the OP is essentially "if we play clarkson in a very specific position he's not actually the worst player in the world" which is basically asking us to build an attack around a player who even when played in the hole, is inconsistent. Not that i agree with the way that players are constantly written off on this boards, but does anyone defending clarkson's level of performance believe he's anywhere near good enough to have a formation and whole team based around him?

Even accepting the idea that clarkson isn't rubbish (which he isn't, just that i don't think it'd be hard to do better), the argument of the OP is essentially "if we play clarkson in a very specific position he's not actually the worst player in the world" which is basically asking us to build an attack around a player who even when played in the hole, is inconsistent. Not that i agree with the way that players are constantly written off on this boards, but does anyone defending clarkson's level of performance believe he's anywhere near good enough to have a formation and whole team based around him?

Good point.

The most positive thing I can say about him is that he has at least made a contribution this season and as I doubt very much we'll be able to move him off of the wage bill this summer, he is a useful 4th striker/back up player.

However for £600k what we have bought isn't versatile, cannot play as a midfielder (despite some on here suggesting that he can) and without either pace or strength, isn't an out an out striker, either.

As the guy who sits next to me rightly said yesterday, "neither fish nor fowl, mate".

Clarkson does have some good attributes, likewise he has some shortcomings, and in 2 years, has appeared to struggle with the pace of the Championship. The current buzzword for signings is "value", and I think I can quite safely suggest that he has not proved to be a value signing.

Rooney has scored 101 goals in 212 games for United.

Hardly bad

Oh, he's an excellent player don't get me wrong. My wider point was that to measure a strikers contribution just in goals is I think a little simplistic. Let's say earlier this season when he was being panned for his lack of goals- what those who were panning him failed to notice is that he dropped deeper and was setting them up instead. Similar to Berbatov last year, he was setting up more than this year but now he has scored a lot but has next to no assists by way of comparison.

Archived