IGNORED

Leicester To Make Bid For Nicky Maynard

Barnsley-Tyke

The other point is that we will be handicapped by the over-spending, or bad spending of both Johnson and Coppell and our lack on investing in the future. Next season we have to somehow survive, and are looking to cut costs, whilst employing some modest players on high wages, and starting youth development virtually from scratch. Some of us were warning of problems ahead as Johnson kept on buying and borrowing very ordinary players, many of whom added nothing to the squad other than a wage bill, and most of whom have no re-sale value. We are there now, SL has finally realised that success is based more on quality of spending than quantity, and quite rightly, wants better value. I think that the time for 'investing' is when we get the new stadium, to really generate a positive buzz. What we need to do in preparation is to mould a side that is capable of surviving, and has a number of developing players that will be really ready in 2/3 years time, so that we can target the spending in key areas, and don't have to buy a whole new team that will take months to gel.

Quite a tall order, many will be disappointed that we are not spending millions and will not be realistic challengers, but I honestly cannot see an alternative in the short term. And as you say, relieved of this burden of high expectation, maybe the players will relax, and the Manager will feel more comfortable in trying out younger players.

I agree with your first paragraph (although it took me a while to doubt Johnson trusting youth until it was and inescapable conclusion. I actually find this prospect of a change in approach really exciting for the club, and although I recognise the risk of relegation I do think it's one worth taking.

All this here about James, his distribution, and is he better than DG or SH is all a bit irrelevant. The key questions should be-

Did we actually need an experienced keeper - No

Did his presence make a significant difference to league position - Probably not

Would the money have been better spent strengthening the weaker parts of the team - Yes

But I think singling James out is unfair. There are many other players who have not significantly improved the squad but we get stuck with for seasons. I think you may be right that James probably didn't improve our league position THAT much compared to a hypothetical Gherken. But I'd say the fact he's here for only a couple of seasons, will pass on experience, and is interested in coaching makes him a great signing. He's also got involved in local community schemes and the like. he's not Ray Atteveld or Marcus Stewart.

But I think singling James out is unfair. There are many other players who have not significantly improved the squad but we get stuck with for seasons. I think you may be right that James probably didn't improve our league position THAT much compared to a hypothetical Gherken. But I'd say the fact he's here for only a couple of seasons, will pass on experience, and is interested in coaching makes him a great signing. He's also got involved in local community schemes and the like. he's not Ray Atteveld or Marcus Stewart.

I singled out James because of the other threads, unlike some, we have at least got something from him. My point is more that we did not actually need a keeper, and if you are working to a budget, could the money saved have been put to better use? I also thought it was wrong because we have an excellent young keeper on our books in Henderson, and it just seems to be a waste of opportunity in not allowing him to develop at City. It may be a bit harsh, but if we are to move forward, we need players like Henderson, Ribiero, Wilson, Edwards etc. to start coming through and filling first team spots, so that we can use our available money to bring in a few quality players in the right positions. From what i hear of SH at Yeovil he has been outstanding, and we just can't afford to keep letting young talent slip through our fingers for a short-term fix.

I singled out James because of the other threads, unlike some, we have at least got something from him. My point is more that we did not actually need a keeper, and if you are working to a budget, could the money saved have been put to better use? I also thought it was wrong because we have an excellent young keeper on our books in Henderson, and it just seems to be a waste of opportunity in not allowing him to develop at City. It may be a bit harsh, but if we are to move forward, we need players like Henderson, Ribiero, Wilson, Edwards etc. to start coming through and filling first team spots, so that we can use our available money to bring in a few quality players in the right positions. From what i hear of SH at Yeovil he has been outstanding, and we just can't afford to keep letting young talent slip through our fingers for a short-term fix.

Understand your point and hope Henderson doesn't leave. And here's hoping Wilson and Edwards (and Bobby Reid) get decent run-outs tomorrow to encourage him to stay.

Look at it another way:

If Maynard definitely wants to go and play at a higher level, we cannot keep him.

We then have to get the best price possible, the trouble with this, we then have to give Crewe 30%? of the profit.

Unless we part exchange with a Premier League player, we can then over value this player, avoiding paying out to Crewe & still have a cash settlement.

Who do you think would be a realistic exchange + cash ( Beckford ) Leon Best ?

Everton are reportedly after Shane Long. I don't think they'd want both him & Maynard.

My guess is that Nicky will sign a new deal, with a clause that allows him to speak to a PL club, as long as they offer a certain amount. I think he'll stay until at least January, but if we look like we're not going anywhere, he'll be off either then or next summer. All of this is assuming he stays fit and continues to score goals regularly of course.

At £3M we may as well keep him to the end of his contract in the hope he sneak us into the play-off's. Given we paid £2.25M and out of the £750k profit we have to pay Crewe a decent proportion (if the figure of 30% spoken of on here is true then that will be £225k) it makes more sense to keep him to spearhead our attack. If times are going to be hard signing wise, as some on here are saying then selling Maynard signals our intent to struggle fighting off relegation and this will be reflected in ST sales. If the Foxes are prepared to splash £3M I'm sure a side that comes down from the Prem such as West Ham or Wolves (if they come down) will be more than happy to pay more than that for a proven goalscorer at this level in the hope they will bounce back at the first attempt. Yes he can walk for nothing next season but any club wanting his talents now will pay the price and that price has to be in excess of £5M and the only way I can see the club letting him go for less than that is if he is still here come January and even then if we are challenging in the top 8 or 9 the club may take a chance and keep him.

At £3M we may as well keep him to the end of his contract in the hope he sneak us into the play-off's. Given we paid £2.25M and out of the £750k profit we have to pay Crewe a decent proportion (if the figure of 30% spoken of on here is true then that will be £225k) it makes more sense to keep him to spearhead our attack. If times are going to be hard signing wise, as some on here are saying then selling Maynard signals our intent to struggle fighting off relegation and this will be reflected in ST sales. If the Foxes are prepared to splash £3M I'm sure a side that comes down from the Prem such as West Ham or Wolves (if they come down) will be more than happy to pay more than that for a proven goalscorer at this level in the hope they will bounce back at the first attempt. Yes he can walk for nothing next season but any club wanting his talents now will pay the price and that price has to be in excess of £5M and the only way I can see the club letting him go for less than that is if he is still here come January and even then if we are challenging in the top 8 or 9 the club may take a chance and keep him.

Slight flaw is that we are very unlikely to be challenging next season. He has 1 year on his contract, so we have to be realistic as he will be worth £FA next year.

Slight flaw is that we are very unlikely to be challenging next season. He has 1 year on his contract, so we have to be realistic as he will be worth £FA next year.

So was the thought of Blackpool being in the Premier League at the start of last season. I still think any of the top Championship side would pay considerably more than the £3m mentioned.

So was the thought of Blackpool being in the Premier League at the start of last season. I still think any of the top Championship side would pay considerably more than the £3m mentioned.

I'll give you that one! However, would you gamble £3M+ on those odds??

But it's a fair point, in such a tight division, players like Maynard and Albert can be the difference. Similarly, selling him and using the money to get a quality centre-back, central midfielder and replacement striker could be key.Burnley did that and got Eagles.

Keep Nicky and if we are near the top at Xmas time he may want to stay with us and push for the Prem however if we are midtable and going nowhere allow him to leave in the Jan transfer window but only if a realistic bid comes in for him.

Archived