IGNORED

Are We In For David Norris?

Sargent Pepper

I never said stop, And if Millen did fancy him then yes, he would most likely be backed, I just don't see this player fitting the bill for Millen.

Not saying he wouldn't be a good signing, I just don't think he offers enough return on investment, which is the order of the day as far as I can tell...

It's a lot lower risk than say, paying a sizeable fee for a younger player. And it's difficult to say Millen doesn't take out risks, after splashing in the region of £800k on a player who had featured only a handful of times outside the fourth tier - not that he's wrong to.

It's a lot lower risk than say, paying a sizeable fee for a younger player. And it's difficult to say Millen doesn't take out risks, after splashing in the region of £800k on a player who had featured only a handful of times outside the fourth tier - not that he's wrong to.

I think there was always a high return on players like Pitman, more so than a 30 year old who will have sizeable wage demands, that will only increase due to him being available on a free.

Maybe it's just the way I personally would like to see us conduct ourselves in the transfer market this summer. It seems that the lower leagues go largely untapped and there is a certain fixation in the top leagues with the foreign player, I'm not saying I expect us to sign another couple of Albert's, but it'd be nice if we can pick up some young and hungry players from clubs in the bottom two divisions who will want to prove themselves at a higher level.

Obviously I wouldn't be disappointed if we bought a player of Norris' undoubted ability in the middle, I just don't think he fits the bill that Millen, Wigley and probably the new board under SL's instruction will be looking at.

I think there was always a high return on players like Pitman, more so than a 30 year old who will have sizeable wage demands, that will only increase due to him being available on a free.

Maybe it's just the way I personally would like to see us conduct ourselves in the transfer market this summer. It seems that the lower leagues go largely untapped and there is a certain fixation in the top leagues with the foreign player, I'm not saying I expect us to sign another couple of Albert's, but it'd be nice if we can pick up some young and hungry players from clubs in the bottom two divisions who will want to prove themselves at a higher level.

Obviously I wouldn't be disappointed if we bought a player of Norris' undoubted ability in the middle, I just don't think he fits the bill that Millen, Wigley and probably the new board under SL's instruction will be looking at.

There's plenty of players who've looked impressive in League 2 and failed to make the step up, it was undoubtedly a risk for the money. If a player with Norris' quality is available on a free transfer, we'd be silly not to have a look at him if he's interested.

There's plenty of players who've looked impressive in League 2 and failed to make the step up, it was undoubtedly a risk for the money. If a player with Norris' quality is available on a free transfer, we'd be silly not to have a look at him if he's interested.

That final point is another probably not made enough on the subject of Norris. Would he really be interested? I severely doubt it to be honest.

Fair points chaps. I know what your saying about resale fee Jordan, but I feel this is such an important position for us to fill it's imperative we get it right for us now and not worry to much about the future. As you say, the board may think differently.

Other obvious options are more of a gamble. Barnsley have just released Colace. Not sure he'd have the backs against the wall fight in him when the going gets tough. Brian Howard I believe may be available, has he gone off the boil? A young up and coming player from lower lges may take a season to adjust, if at all.

If we were going down the resale value route then I'd like us to try for Henry Lansbury but he'd cost a fair old bit to bring in (if he would come) and probably as much as Norris in wages. I think Norris is the best risk free option.

..... Having said that, I was doing cartwheels when I heard we were signing Stern John a couple of years ago so maybe I should keep my recommendations to myself!

Archived