IGNORED

Nicky Maynard Stats

If (god forbid) Cardiff go up next season and we keep hold of prized assets we will have the best front 4 around IMO, but then I'm a JCR advocate. One more decent midfielder and some addition in the defence and we might be laughing.

JCR is quality, doesn't run around like a headless chicken and likes to put his foot on the ball and look up... Never going to be a popular figure in the stand of Ashton Gate was he...

I agree, there is not much between our squad and success. It just so happens that the positions we need to fill are the hardest to find quality in. I've seen the likes of Brian Howard mentioned, but he's done little for a while.. If only we could've picked up Charlie Adam for peanuts... John Fleck anyone? Left Back is even more of a problem as I genuinely can't name one who would be a significant improvement on the team... Danny Wilson on loan from Liverpool perhaps, though that would be a short term fix to a long term problem

Millen has a tough period ahead to get these signings right. I am confident he will though!

JCR is quality, doesn't run around like a headless chicken and likes to put his foot on the ball and look up... Never going to be a popular figure in the stand of Ashton Gate was he...

I agree, there is not much between our squad and success. It just so happens that the positions we need to fill are the hardest to find quality in. I've seen the likes of Brian Howard mentioned, but he's done little for a while.. If only we could've picked up Charlie Adam for peanuts... John Fleck anyone? Left Back is even more of a problem as I genuinely can't name one who would be a significant improvement on the team... Danny Wilson on loan from Liverpool perhaps, though that would be a short term fix to a long term problem

Millen has a tough period ahead to get these signings right. I am confident he will though!

Nothing wrong with a few well picked prem-loans as Millen is all too aware. Some quality in recent years in this division, Campbell at Hull, Lansbury at Norwich, etc.

Pitman has scored 2 more goals than Maynard did in his first season at Champsionship level, in considerably less games.

Stats aside it's pretty clear to see that Pitman is an awesome finisher.

Pitman first season:

21 starts (18 sub) - 13 goals

Maynard first season:

34 starts (9 sub) - 11 goals

Interesting stats. I'd be interested to see how many of the mentioned goals were penalties though? I'm not saying that pitman isn't going to be as good as/ better than Maynard but let's be sensible here, at this moment in time Maynard is the best striker at the club!

Interesting stats. I'd be interested to see how many of the mentioned goals were penalties though? I'm not saying that pitman isn't going to be as good as/ better than Maynard but let's be sensible here, at this moment in time Maynard is the best striker at the club!

Well, from what I've seen Pitman is a more competant penalty taker than Maynard. Surely that should be viewed in Pitman's favour?

• Admin

Ronnabe, why do you insist on calling everyone "son" when they disagree with you? You're about 17 right? Seems to me like you've got a bit of growing up to do yourself before you can patronise others.

ad in sure if I picked a particular date it would give me a stat that supported my view too. Stats like that are meaningless as you an manipulate them whatever way you like.

Facts are, we were on a slide towards relegation ( anyone remember the mood on here at the time?) and Nicky returned from

Injury to score goals and lift us to win games again, resulting in a run of form that had some fans thinking we could nick the playoffs.

As someone once famously said, 'there are lies, damned lies, and statistics'. Disraeli I think but I could easily be wrong.

Ronnabe, why do you insist on calling everyone "son" when they disagree with you? You're about 17 right? Seems to me like you've got a bit of growing up to do yourself before you can patronise others.

I doubt when the well known phrase "Take a bow, son" is used in popular footballing culture it is meant in a paternal fashion, but given your years of wisdom and experience I'm sure you know best.

Son, lad, mate, man, all the same.

Nice to see a well debated thread rather then having a go at each other for once! You can't judge Pitman and Maynard when Maynard has been in championship for few years and has done brilliant considering how long he hadn't played for, The same way Pitman has made a huge jump to championship considering he'd barely been playing in league one most of his goals in league two! What I would say though is that Maynard scored mostly poacher goals unlike last season most he made out of nothing .I would say quite a few of pitman's goals were more spectacular and worked a little harder for them but obviously that may just because he scored more than Maynard to show us this. To add to the fact if Stead hadn't been injured he may well of been top goal scorer had 4 goals in last four games of the season.

Archived