IGNORED

Michael Owen

Tony Montana

No, this isnt another 'Owen is signing for us' thread. But i was looking through some odds and found that the club he is favourite to join in the summer is Brighton! Personally i think hes more likely to join Leicster with Sven as manager.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/michael-owen-specials/club-after-summer-transfer-window

Just wondered if Brighton have owners with more money than Lansdown, does anybody know ?

Ridiculous. If he hadn't had those injuries and lost that little bit of pace he'd still be doing a job for England. One of the most gifted strikers we've ever had as a country.

I'd go a little further tbh. Undoubtedly the pace loss was a major, major blow- but so was the modern trend of one up front- Owen himself has said he much prefers to play as part of a strike pairing, as such I'm not convinced he's compatible to the lone striker role at the top level, for example.Whether he would be had he kept his pace, it's hard to say. Still, he should be able to get a gig in the PL!

No, this isnt another 'Owen is signing for us' thread. But i was looking through some odds and found that the club he is favourite to join in the summer is Brighton! Personally i think hes more likely to join Leicster with Sven as manager.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/michael-owen-specials/club-after-summer-transfer-window

Just wondered if Brighton have owners with more money than Lansdown, does anybody know ?

Young chap, forget his name, worth about a fifth of SL.. According to a season ticket holder pal in Brighton. It made me question about a year ago why an individual with a net worth of around 80m would purportedly invest 'all his own money' in the new stadium. Highly unlikely obviously as the math does not add up. The point being that there is a level of borrowing at the club requiring continued forward momentum.

I live in Brighton and Owen was seen with both the Brighton chairman and Gus Poyet recently in Brighton. It did coincide with a horse Owen has links with racing at Brighton racecourse that same day...

Could be true but I very much doubt it..

Ridiculous. If he hadn't had those injuries and lost that little bit of pace he'd still be doing a job for England. One of the most gifted strikers we've ever had as a country.

Agreed, without the injuries he'd have passed Linekar and Charlton years ago. You don't win the Balon D'or for no reason.

Agreed, without the injuries he'd have passed Linekar and Charlton years ago. You don't win the Balon D'or for no reason.

Yet though, would he have done the job at the top level as a lone striker? I have my doubts personally. Big tactical changes at the top level, as well as injury have IMO accounted for his demise.I know people may say Rooney + Hernandez, but the former plays deeper atm. Personally, I dare say he hasn't adapted sufficently to the changing demands of the game at the top level. Old school 4-4-2 is out with the dodos at the top level.

To me this is just the new "Owen could be going to Bristol City" rumor, except the words "Bristol City" have been replaced with "Brighton". Horses or not, this is a dirty rumor.

Oh and the bit about being seen in Brighton... Wasn't Curbishly spotted here...?

Out of the ones on that list I say that Everton and Bolton are the most likely, possibly another Prem club in that area like Wigan. He did support Everton as a boy, so if they thought he was worth a punt, I could see him finishing his career there.

Not surprising that he signed. So long as AF wants him he won't be going anywhere, however much he plays.

Owen strikes me as being very laid back without too much ambition. Suits his family and horse racing lives.

Given age, injury history etc- slightly surprised that Owen would stay at the expense of Berbatov these days. For one thing Berbatov is I think the finer all round player- can score goals, link play and crucially carry out the lone striker role as opposed to Owen who mostly IMO needs to be in a 2 to be truly effective.

Given age, injury history etc- slightly surprised that Owen would stay at the expense of Berbatov these days. For one thing Berbatov is I think the finer all round player- can score goals, link play and crucially carry out the lone striker role as opposed to Owen who mostly IMO needs to be in a 2 to be truly effective.

The reason they might move Berbatov on is that he and Rooney don't work well together, because Rooney is better playing a little deeper rather than on the shoulder. Hernandez and Owen both play off the shoulder, so either works well with Rooney. Berbatov won't be happy being Rooney's understudy and he's expensive.

I reckon they'll sell Berbatov back to Spurs and look for a young striker who can line lead but doesn't expect to start every game yet.

Quite right I couldnt agree more...Had he stayed at Liverpool and not gone abroad it might have been so different for both Owen and Pool...

I will never forget his performances agaist Germany and particularly Argentina.....they were scared shitless by his pace and ability.

Michaels passion in life is now horseracing and he has made a sizeble investment in partnership with trainer Tom Dascombe at Manor House stables in Malpas...so I suspect if he is on the move it will be somewhere local to his horses in that area.

The reason they might move Berbatov on is that he and Rooney don't work well together, because Rooney is better playing a little deeper rather than on the shoulder. Hernandez and Owen both play off the shoulder, so either works well with Rooney. Berbatov won't be happy being Rooney's understudy and he's expensive.

I reckon they'll sell Berbatov back to Spurs and look for a young striker who can line lead but doesn't expect to start every game yet.

True- cost and not wanting to play second fiddle will play a part. Still in those games vs the top, top sides here and in Europe I'd say the whole 2 strikers a'la Rooney and Hernandez style thing doesn't work. We saw with Hernandez on Saturday, inexperienced though he is. You surely need somebody to hold the ball up vs the Barca's of this world, link play etc. Playing Rooney as a false 9 and Berbatov to hold it up a bit higher may have been better tactics in hindsight. Rooney and Berbatov don't work well together? I'll take your word for it, perhaps too similar as they are undoubtedly two highly technically gifted players.

Quite right I couldnt agree more...Had he stayed at Liverpool and not gone abroad it might have been so different for both Owen and Pool...

I will never forget his performances agaist Germany and particularly Argentina.....they were scared shitless by his pace and ability.

Michaels passion in life is now horseracing and he has made a sizeble investment in partnership with trainer Tom Dascombe at Manor House stables in Malpas...so I suspect if he is on the move it will be somewhere local to his horses in that area.

In fairness, he was fantastic then etc but football has perhaps moved on slightly. 2 out and out strikers up front at a high level vs a side with more options in midfield? Doesn't do it for me.

Think theyve already got the player you name in your last paragraph in Danny Welbeck.

Think theyve already got the player you name in your last paragraph in Danny Welbeck.

Maybe. Fergie's bombed out highly rated young strikers before though. Don't put it past him to go and buy one and make Welbeck the next Frasier Campbell/Danny Webber/ Sylan Ebanks-Blake.

After all, they're only going to have four strikers and they're supposed to be one of the top handful of clubs in the world. A youngster coming through to fill that spot will have to be very special.

Archived