IGNORED

Bristol Academy At Ag

numbeast

I've just read that the local ladies side Bristol Academy have approached both us and the squatters at Horfield about playing their Champions League matches at one of our grounds. I personally think this could be good PR for our Football in the Community. Irrespective of anyone's views on the ladies game I think Bristol Academy have done Bristol proud and deserve the support of our league clubs. I for one would love to see them playing European games at the Gate, after all what sort of impression would the continental sides get if they were forced to play at the Rugby Ground. We have already taken the first steps in promoting the "Bristol City Community Trust" by allowing the sponsoring for the away shirt to be given to them, what better way to follow up this noble gesture than to allow the Bristol Ladies to use our superb facilities in their European ties. You never know we may gain contacts with some of the bigger sides.

As I say I'm all for it but what are the views from the rest of you?

I train at Filton Wise where Bristol Academy play their home games and I recently watched them play Chelsea after I'd finished training. The standard is pretty good and with the exception of the goalkeeping you could be watching a lower division men's game. With the obvious difference being the physical side of it several of the top women players could play in men's leagues. Now that they've decided that they should no longer be associated with Rovers they should be rewarded by being able to play at Bristol's premier football ground.

Now that they've decided that they should no longer be associated with Rovers they should be rewarded by being able to play at Bristol's premier football ground.

Not sure that's the case, they've approached both City and Rovers according to the OP.

The club would be foolish not to take this opportunity.

Womans football might be a running joke, but the girls have achieved a lot and deserve to play in some half decent facilities.

Might be worth giving the BCFC season ticket holders free entry to watch the games to attract a few extra fans, which I'm sure would be beneficial to the girls!

Womans football might be a running joke, but the girls have achieved a lot and deserve to play in some half decent facilities.

Sorry Jordan, but I have to ask, why do you consider womens football to be a running joke? They work as hard as any man. They might not be of the same quality but they are far from a joke and as a fellow woman I take offence at your comment.

Not trying to start a fight, but just wonder where you got your opinion from? :)

Sorry Jordan, but I have to ask, why do you consider womens football to be a running joke? They work as hard as any man. They might not be of the same quality but they are far from a joke and as a fellow woman I take offence at your comment.

Not trying to start a fight, but just wonder where you got your opinion from? :)

Not my opinion. you can't really disagree that the view from most men (and all three women in my house) is that womens football is a bit of a joke?

Wouldn't for a minute say that that is justified... but it is the way womens football is viewed and it will probably always remain that way here. No coverage, or for that matter interest. They love it in the USA, but here... Nah.

Like I said, get them down the Gate. Give the BCFC season ticket holders free entry and the "ignorant" opinion of many might be changed.

In general, women in football "e.g get back to the kitchen", the amount of stick that lino got for being a woman, girls playing football etc etc. Still a undercurrent in society about female in football, like if Hope Powell was ever offered a job at a mans club, i bet she could manage it completely.

Is it likely to happy any time soon no.

Female football is extremely hard to get blokes interested, bar the normal "i hope they swap shirt" jokes etc. Like jordan said in america it is/was big, but its hard to get the mainstream over here to accept it.

I got to watch the women's FA cup on telly. I think the standard is really high - the only difference is the speed (and that some of the girls are not professional athletes and their fitness is not so good). The skill levels are really high and compare really well to the standards of men's footie that I get to watch.

My wife used to play for the city back in the day - it's not a joke in our house!

Archived