IGNORED

Steve Coppell On Talksport

Murraysrightplum

Last week I heard an interview with David Pleat and twice he ran through a list of current top British managers and both times he mentioned Copout in the list with no questioning from (I think) Keys and Gray. How does this man still have any sort of reputation in football?

On a similar note the Keys and Gray interviews are in general terrible. They spend an hour with their tongues firmly up the guests you-know-where...

because he did good jobs with palace and reading,

Copouts gone he had the balls to stand up and say "I'm not up for the job" and stepped down asking for no money no compo or anything,

Many managers would of carried on just to collect a paycheque and leave us relegated (Micky Adams)

yes he left us in the shit we got out of it and things are looking up next season,

Its time for fans to move on and consign him to the past the same can be said for Johnson as well,

because he did good jobs with palace and reading,

Copouts gone he had the balls to stand up and say "I'm not up for the job" and stepped down asking for no money no compo or anything,

Many managers would of carried on just to collect a paycheque and leave us relegated (Micky Adams)

yes he left us in the shit we got out of it and things are looking up next season,

Its time for fans to move on and consign him to the past the same can be said for Johnson as well,

Here here, we should remember the lesson learnt from his time here and simply forget about everything else and move on. I wouldn't even class his as a Bristol City manager for what its worth.

Seems to me that Pleat is 'employed' in Operation Coppell; a football wide rehabilitation plan for the guy; any self respecting unbiased pundit would otherwise temper coppells undoubted achievements with his two gardening leave jobs.

Havana you are spot on. Fair play Coppell did well at palace and Reading but to put him on a list of CURRENT top managers is rediculous in my opinion. And yes I am completely over Coppellgate, but I can't believe he has walked out on 2 clubs and still be regarded as a top manager. Outside of footballI, if anyone accepted a managers job, then dossed about for a couple of months before finally leaving (TWICE!!!), their reputation in that industry would be tarnished forever. Yet coppell has got away with it somehow...

Havana you are spot on. Fair play Coppell did well at palace and Reading but to put him on a list of CURRENT top managers is rediculous in my opinion. And yes I am completely over Coppellgate, but I can't believe he has walked out on 2 clubs and still be regarded as a top manager. Outside of footballI, if anyone accepted a managers job, then dossed about for a couple of months before finally leaving (TWICE!!!), their reputation in that industry would be tarnished forever. Yet coppell has got away with it somehow...

I don't disagree with anything posted on here but I do really think its time to move on,

I don't want to be reminded of the start of last season as I've got my feel good factor back and I don't want that to go before next season

we need to tell those 2 idiots keys and grey can only stand to listen to them for no more than 5 mins at time who do they think they are self opionated ***** was really a big mistake 2 give those 2 a job again listened to copp out interview a while ago and he seemed to have forgot how much money owners put into clubs but still hope those 2 idiots dont stay on very long 2 crap presenters on a crap radio staion

To consider Coppell among the top British managers is completely disrespectful to British managers in general, GJ has achieved massively over Coppell, and was Johnson mentioned? Bullshit.

Pundits and the media just cant get enough of old ManU players, even the shit ones like Coppell.

I swear to ***ing GOD I could do a better job, I swear this becuase I know its true. I would be a better manager than him

To consider Coppell among the top British managers is completely disrespectful to British managers in general, GJ has achieved massively over Coppell, and was Johnson mentioned? Bullshit.

Pundits and the media just cant get enough of old ManU players, even the shit ones like Coppell.

I swear to ***ing GOD I could do a better job, I swear this becuase I know its true. I would be a better manager than him

Let's be objective here- Johnson did a great job for us, no doubt. However Coppell has been promoted to the top flight a number of times, most recently with Reading. First season a side with relatively modest resources by PL standards- 8th I think it was, while playing decent enough football. He was even briefly tipped for the England job. Would agree though that Johnson doesn't get enough recognition as well as the thrust of the OP that they are terribly fawning to their guests.

As for Pleat, he is completely crap at pronouncing foreign names and was a moderate manager but in terms of tactical analysis, he is one of the better pundits around IMO. Whether that's an indictment of the tactical insight of pundits in this country in general, is another debate entirely...

Coppell was a great manager. We were all excited to have him here but I don't believe he is currently a top manager because he hasn't been in work for a season and before that he was out of work for a year. Too long out means he is no longer one though I wouldn't back against him to do the biz again given the right circumstances.

As for Pleat, he is completely crap at pronouncing foreign names and was a moderate manager but in terms of tactical analysis, he is one of the better pundits around IMO. Whether that's an indictment of the tactical insight of pundits in this country in general, is another debate entirely...

Rosikkeeee instead of Rositski for Rosicki always made me laugh!!

Rosikkeeee instead of Rositski for Rosicki always made me laugh!!

It was all pretty funny! Think in last Euros, he kept calling Bosingwa Bos-swinger or something! Calls Chimbonda Chimbomba and the list goes on and on. Like I say though, there are worse TV pundits for tactical analyis than him- look at MOTD for one!

Let's be objective here- Johnson did a great job for us, no doubt. However Coppell has been promoted to the top flight a number of times, most recently with Reading. First season a side with relatively modest resources by PL standards- 8th I think it was, while playing decent enough football. He was even briefly tipped for the England job. Would agree though that Johnson doesn't get enough recognition as well as the thrust of the OP that they are terribly fawning to their guests.

Ok but Johnson was 1 game away from being a Prem manager and i'm pretty sure got more sides promoted. Aye, but anyone can tip anyone for anything. I dunno, just wonder to what extent being a former manu player furthers you beyond others who maybe a much better manager. How many X manu players are managing, or have tried? could it really be the best person for that job just happened to play for ManU? Hah, I'm not surprised though, football is crazy so this makes sense.

I ofen wonder if the real work is done by the assistants and coaches and the manager is just a figure head.

Ok but Johnson was 1 game away from being a Prem manager and i'm pretty sure got more sides promoted. Aye, but anyone can tip anyone for anything. I dunno, just wonder to what extent being a former manu player furthers you beyond others who maybe a much better manager. How many X manu players are managing, or have tried? could it really be the best person for that job just happened to play for ManU? Hah, I'm not surprised though, football is crazy so this makes sense.

I ofen wonder if the real work is done by the assistants and coaches and the manager is just a figure head.

Agree to an extent on certain points- ex Man United players, especially those who played under Fergie do seem hotly tipped- not always proportionate to their ability. Best example of this is the hapless Bryan Robson, yet until recently he usually seemed able to get decent enough jobs. Assistant coaches too, I sometimes wonder- was noticeable that Man United in Europe really seemed to adapt after the 2nd spell of Queiroz. Often said he provided tactical blueprints for specific away ties.

Archived