IGNORED

I Need My Computer Help Again!

Markman

Ok - first things first - I made a mistake and bought a PC off of ebay - all supposedly legit inc Windows 7.

But Windows 7 looks like a duff version as after the SP1 it tells me it is a duff product.

Now - I do have Windows Vista and I got on ok with that - so can I just install Windows Vista or do I need to uninstall somehow this non genuine Windows 7? I was hoping I would just whack in the Vista disc and it would say do you want to replace the windows 7 - but I am not brave enought to risk that yet? Will I lose anything if I do?

Any thoughts (apart from don't buy off of ebay)?

Ideally you need to place your Vista disc in your PC then reboot, it will say "press ** to boot of CD" which you will need to do. This will allow a menu to pop up from which you will need to select the Hardrive to install your fresh copy of Vista onto, also on this menu will be a choice to format the the selected hardrive 1st (which you will want to do). It will then automatically format and install onto the selected drive...once completed you can validate it with you original Vista key that you have.

Doing the above will loose everything though so make sure you put any documents, photos etc etc onto a usb thumb drive.

Ok - first things first - I made a mistake and bought a PC off of ebay - all supposedly legit inc Windows 7.

But Windows 7 looks like a duff version as after the SP1 it tells me it is a duff product.

Now - I do have Windows Vista and I got on ok with that - so can I just install Windows Vista or do I need to uninstall somehow this non genuine Windows 7? I was hoping I would just whack in the Vista disc and it would say do you want to replace the windows 7 - but I am not brave enought to risk that yet? Will I lose anything if I do?

Any thoughts (apart from don't buy off of ebay)?

Markman, did you use paypal? If so you could be covered by buyer protection?

I was just going to mention that too Markman, if your not happy with the PC you have 42days to get you money back if its not as described, or if your happy with the PC but a pissed that you got conned with the software badger the seller for a good discount to cover the cost of the replacement software.

Stupid question but there isn't a sticker on the side of the PC with a valadation code/key for Windows 7 is there ??

No - I really do not want to express how stupid this was - I did not use pay - pal (mistake) and now reading the reciept it covers about a thousand things but does not mention Windows at all - I was an idiot!

No - I really do not want to express how stupid this was - I did not use pay - pal (mistake) and now reading the reciept it covers about a thousand things but does not mention Windows at all - I was an idiot!

Have you tried contacting the seller? They could still refund you and/or provide Windows 7 if it isn't working. Did you buy from a company or individual? How long have you had it for? If it's not as described (i.e. with Windows 7 working), you should still be able to get a refund as long as you don't carry on using it.

Archived