IGNORED

Basement League Self Imposed Wage Cap

pride of the west

Totally forgot that theres a wage cap in the basement until gas thought it would be a good idea to go back there. At the time it was introduced im sure there was talk of it being introduced in championship and lg 1.

Im sure it wont happen in the championship as wages have gone too far north now for it to be clawed back. Anyone know what the official view on it now is?

Also how does it work for gas? I think its 65% of turnover which i think pretty much halves their last years wage bill. Is that 65% of projected turnover or on previous years figures or what? Just wondering as gas board probably think they will get 7k every week down there when we all know they will struggle to get 5k. 65% of 5k turnover is considerably less than 7k.

And what happens if the cap gets exceeded?

Totally forgot that theres a wage cap in the basement until gas thought it would be a good idea to go back there. At the time it was introduced im sure there was talk of it being introduced in championship and lg 1.

Im sure it wont happen in the championship as wages have gone too far north now for it to be clawed back. Anyone know what the official view on it now is?

Also how does it work for gas? I think its 65% of turnover which i think pretty much halves their last years wage bill. Is that 65% of projected turnover or on previous years figures or what? Just wondering as gas board probably think they will get 7k every week down there when we all know they will struggle to get 5k. 65% of 5k turnover is considerably less than 7k.

And what happens if the cap gets exceeded?

The wage cap for league 2 is infact 60% of the clubs 'non-footballing' income. That includes TV rights, sponsors, gate receipts and shop sales, but doesn't include league/cup prize money etc.

However, the proposal to reduce this amout to 55% is currently under consideration.

If the wage cap is exceeded, the club in question will be under transfer embargo until they have met the cap, and extended breach could lead to heavy points deduction.

There are no plans to install financial restrictions on the championship currently, but there is a possibility the salary cap could be extended to cover League One in the near future, as clubs have already provisionally agreed to shadow the league 2 rate, with no punishment for exceeding it.

Crawley are spending money like its going out of fashion with an average crowd of 1'300 - they must be getting around it somehow.

Yes i wondered about them. I read somewhere during their fa cup run that they had a couple of players on 5k a week. Thats half a mil there. Cant see there turnover being much more than a mil and a half on their crowds

There are loop holes to the rules. Clubs can offer lucrative signing-on bonuses and other performance related bonuses that may be reported in the press as part of a '5K a week' deal, when in reality their basic wage is much less, yet they do generally earn 5K a week.

It's a wage cap, not a spending cap.

The wage cap for league 2 is infact 60% of the clubs 'non-footballing' income. That includes TV rights, sponsors, gate receipts and shop sales, but doesn't include league/cup prize money etc.

perhaps I don't understand correctly but how is a gate receipt considered 'non-footballing' income?

perhaps I don't understand correctly but how is a gate receipt considered 'non-footballing' income?

It's to do with the fact that in order to gain 'football fortune income' clubs must compete in footballing competitions and be rewarded for their success. It is confusing, but gate receipts are considered non-footballing income because they're not actually related to teams performance (although I think perhaps they should be as a team performing well gets higher gates...)

It's to do with the fact that in order to gain 'football fortune income' clubs must compete in footballing competitions and be rewarded for their success. It is confusing, but gate receipts are considered non-footballing income because they're not actually related to teams performance (although I think perhaps they should be as a team performing well gets higher gates...)

FL or FA policy? Either way no wonder they are like a startled animal staring into headlights in most things they do.

FL or FA policy? Either way no wonder they are like a startled animal staring into headlights in most things they do.

It is a football league policy, and it is officially called the 'Salary Cost Management Protocol'.

Any decision they make that has a detremental effect on any club will come in for criticism, I do think this sort of thing is necessary though. Just look at the BSP and below, hundreds of teams on the edge of financial disaster.

you couldn't do it in the championship because of the teams getting relegated from the prem,

League one you could as there isn't that much difference between the 2 leagues but again there would have to be a rule for teams dropping out of the championship,

you couldn't do it in the championship because of the teams getting relegated from the prem,

League one you could as there isn't that much difference between the 2 leagues but again there would have to be a rule for teams dropping out of the championship,

why not? surely it is just incorporated into the players contract that relegation equals championship wages.

There should be a wage cap in the prem as well ........say 3 mill a week ......that'l learn em!!

why not? surely it is just incorporated into the players contract that relegation equals championship wages.

There should be a wage cap in the prem as well ........say 3 mill a week ......that'l learn em!!

its harder to implement thats just how I see it,

If it was to happen it would have to be complete across the board (Prem included) which just wouldn't happen because of the greed at the top of our game,

personally I'm not to keen on a wage limit as it would limit the clubs that would go into the prem you'd never get a success story like the wimbledon and Blackpool as they just wouldn't be able to compete with Leeds etc...

That being said player's wages are out of control when you hear of a club like crawley paying confereance players 5k a week on gate of 1.5k its madness,

Until the FA FL and PL come out and show a united front then it will always be talk and never any action taken

its harder to implement thats just how I see it,

If it was to happen it would have to be complete across the board (Prem included) which just wouldn't happen because of the greed at the top of our game,

personally I'm not to keen on a wage limit as it would limit the clubs that would go into the prem you'd never get a success story like the wimbledon and Blackpool as they just wouldn't be able to compete with Leeds etc...

That being said player's wages are out of control when you hear of a club like crawley paying confereance players 5k a week on gate of 1.5k its madness,

Until the FA FL and PL come out and show a united front then it will always be talk and never any action taken

thats just it , it wouldnt limit the clubs going into the Premier League , because all the clubs would be subject to the same wage limits.

thats just it , it wouldnt limit the clubs going into the Premier League , because all the clubs would be subject to the same wage limits.

if they use your suggestion yea that wouldn't and would put everyone on a level playing field,

if however they use the current League 2 one (55% of a clubs turnover) then it wouldn't create a fair playing field and you would just see the gap between the bigger clubs just continue to grow,

Which is what I'm getting out,

I remember suggesting somthing on 606 two years ago suggesting that each league have a limit on wages ie prem 30 million champ 10 million league 1 2 million league 2 1 million, which if I'm reading correctly is what your getting at,

If they did somthing like that I'd be all for it and it could be easily implamented but again all our govening bodys need to have a united front on this

Archived