IGNORED

Brian Howard

Bar BS3

Apparently he is one of the players KM is looking at as a midfield option.

Has 1 year left on contract at Reading, but is looking for a move.

He used to be a great player in his Barnsley days and whilst had a quiet season or 2, could be a good move if it happens.

Quality set piece taker and controls the game when he is fit and up for it.

:englandsmile4wf:

He used to be a great player in his Barnsley days and whilst had a quiet season or 2, could be a good move if it happens.

would absolutely love him in midfield next season. Cracking player

I work with 5 reading season ticket holders and none of them are mates of each other but they all have the same view of him which is not good enough to play in a team challenging for promotion! Bottom half championship player they have all suggested if this does come off let's hope they are wrong! It may just be he is not getting a run of games the same sort of situation as cisse for us first half of last season!

I agree - would be a good signing.

I don't think it has worked out for him at Reading, so you can understand their view of him. I do remember thinking what a quality player he looked everytime i saw him play for Barnsley.

Would be happy with this as our attacking midfield option and agree that the calibre of player we are going in for is impressive. Lets just hope we dont have to go too far down the wanted list before we fill the gaps that we need to.

I suspect i'm in the minority, but i really don't rate the lad. He's always appeared to me to be a big-game player who spends a lot of the season not turning up. I know a fair few Barnsley fans who feel similarly, although they may still be harbouring a grudge at him forcing a move to Sheff Utd and i suspect they'd secretly be happy to have him back.

I think he's a bit of a here-nor-there signing; not exactly very high profile or worth breaking the bank for, but certainly not young and full of potential. No thanks from me

I agree with you Chip, don't rate him much.

He seems to be one of those players who only raises their game when the spotlight is on him, he was immence for Barnsley in all their televised games during their FA cup run, but has by and large flattered to deceive for the majority of his career.

Cisse, Elliot and Skuse will have to do a lot of running to accommodate him to, I would suggest...

How do you know that KM is looking at him exactly??

Would be happy with this. Quite an exciting prospect of Howard feeding Albert and Bolaise down the flanks with the boys we've got up front. Cisse holding the middle of the park. As someone said on here earlier very happy with the calibre of player we appear to be looking at.

A consistently good set piece taker, has to be one of the top priorities for us this summer. Somebody who can consistently be dangerous from dead ball situations, is sure to help gain extra points towards the league table. There may be better options out there then Howard, but then again he may feel he has something to prove now after being on the sidelines for so long.

Dont forget he started as a trainee at Southampton so he might not want to play for Portsmouth or even be welcome there.

He never played a game for them though, so i doubt that makes much difference.

It's interesting how opinions vary with Pompey fans, recent cup winners and Prem team, saying he would be a great signing.

Southampton fans however think he is not good enough for them and let him go to Pompey! Southampton fans getting a bit carried away possibly...?!

He'd probably choose Pompey over us, if Pompey want him of course.

If he lives in the Reading area, then perhaps a 1hr drive to us might suit him better?

Especially as they continue to pay Premier League wages. Lot of good it did them last season mind, they were no better than us.

Seem to remember Howard turned City down once before - not too keen on giving players a second chance to sign for BCFC.

We outbid Sheff U for him when he left Barnsley but he didn't want to join us. No more likely now I would have thought. It does seem that everybody on Kieth's list has better options. I fear he may have to come up with a new one.

We outbid Sheff U for him when he left Barnsley but he didn't want to join us. No more likely now I would have thought. It does seem that everybody on Kieth's list has better options. I fear he may have to come up with a new one.

I think he supports sheffield utd thats why he wanted to play for them,

I've a mate who's a reading season ticket holder and he offered to drive him to the gate, he said he only plays well when on the tele,

but he's better then what we have in the middle and Reading do have a really strong midfield

why did stead and pitman pick us over blackpool

why did balsie want to move to us instead of charlton

who knows you do whats best for yourself I can see us offering better terms then both those clubs

Stead and Pitman chose us over Blackpool because we are seen as a bigger club than them and we offered more money, simple as that!

Bolasie picked us over Charlton because we play in the Championship and they play in league 1.

Howard will chose either Portsmouth or Southampton because both are much bigger clubs than us who will play bigger wages.

Simple enough conclusion.

why did stead and pitman pick us over blackpool

why did balsie want to move to us instead of charlton

who knows you do whats best for yourself I can see us offering better terms then both those clubs

Certainly not more than Pompey. They escaped their huge debt and carried on paying high wages. Do you suppose the likes of Nugent and Lawrence are on less money than our players?

Blackpool have a very strict wages policy so every chance we paid more than they were prepared to offer, though I suspect Pitman also wanted to stay in the South.

Finally, Charlton are in League 1.

There are better free agents out there.

I agree, but for the reasons stated above they will have a lot of bigger clubs with bigger bank balances after them. Howard could be a realistic option and who ever we sign it's up to the staff and the team to get the most of them. We need to give whoever we sign a chance to impress.

A couple of years ago when he left Barnsley, I'd have definately said yes to him (and from posts above it appears we did try to sign him). However he seems to have stalled bigtime at Reading, so the question would be is he up for it?

Only 1 way to find out...

Archived