IGNORED

Louis Carey

BCFCfan

you gonna say the same thing to Sir Alex Ferguson for offering Scholes a coaching role at Man United???

If I did would he beat me up?

It would be refreshing to see a few unheard of coaches who have done their apprenticeships and proven themselves to be capable coaches come into the club as opposed to yet another ex player.

We've spent the summer ebing linked to coaches like Owers (Done his time in getting his badges and working away from BCFC to buld a reputation) and scouts like Penrice (Renowned scout who has worked all over the country) So why would we go back on that progress?

If Carey is a good coach who would offer something at youth level or above then fine, Sign him on and get him in the tracksuit. If he's getting a role because he "knows the club" then where is my contract?

dont get me wrong, i see your point of view, but for all we know, he could be a really good coach.

emphasis on the word could

Who knows (I have no idea if he is qualified at all) but Wigley apart all our senior coaches are ex-City players; we used to also have Shaun Taylor and have now added Gary Owers. Were they coincidentally all the best coaches available at the time or does that tell us something about the culture of the club? And just how many coaches do we need anyway?

dont get me wrong, i see your point of view, but for all we know, he could be a really good coach.

emphasis on the word could

Exactly. If he was he would be the best person for the job who I suggested should get it, if there were a job available and he applied for it along with any other applicant.

I know this thread is about Carey in particular but I am talking generally about any player reaching the end of their playing career.

- Good evening and god bless you. My name is Adriano Basso

- Ooooooohhhhhh Basssooo! Oh Bassssssooooo! Renew my season ticket? Don't know if I can afford it though..

- Always believe!

- I was made redundant last week and my family are starving..

- God is good and you can come with me to the church for a free meal each Sunday!

- But my family..

- Praise the lord! They are also going to buy season tickets?

:colder:

Not sure if they are offering a 2 year deal to our one year, but Brighton is an option for him.

If there is any substance to this it would be a remarkable and unexpected opportunity for our injury prone veteran to enjoy a final challenge elsewhere.

There is no first team place for Louis Carey at Bristol City any more, so it would be in everyone's best interests if he takes it..

A God send as well if there is the possibility of differing opinions amongst the hierarchy at AG as to the justification and wisdom of offering Carey a new contract in the first place.

- Good evening and god bless you. My name is Adriano Basso

- Ooooooohhhhhh Basssooo! Oh Bassssssooooo! Renew my season ticket? Don't know if I can afford it though..

- Always believe!

- I was made redundant last week and my family are starving..

- God is good and you can come with me to the church for a free meal each Sunday!

- But my family..

- Praise the lord! They are also going to buy season tickets?

:colder:

Lonely night in the forests, lakes and ikeas of Sweden?

Agreed. And last time he wasn't a family man, he has a wife and several kids to consider now. It would be a huge move for all of them to relocate, or a huge wrench to be apart.

I guess he is now at the stage where he has to consider what he does after he stops playing and starts working towards that if he hasn't already.

Opening next summer, in a mall near you,

CAREY'S CUISINE & BBQ'S.

If he has a wife and kids, especially all girl kids, a huge reason to spend time away at Brighton, or anywhere for that matter. He must need 3 bathrooms at home and that will get worse as the girls get older.Then the fashion, make up bills as they get older. Then the brides father pays for the weddings...... its a bloody nightmare.

Louis, cash in on the publicity with a " Careys Cuisine and BBQ " shop. Get yourself a couple of guest spots on "Riverside Cottage", engineer a few West country recipes and get into it. At worst you can injure the other foot, but probably no skull fractures, hamstrings or nose breaks.

Louis reads the forum so come on OTIB give him some help. Give him some RECIPE names related to BCFC and the West country. Who knows, he could earn more than a footballer, I did.........so did Baldrick !

Or we could just encourage him to sign because he proved last season he had plenty to offer at right back

Keith wants to sign a right back. We have Ribeiro (occasionally) and Edwards. That would give us 4 right backs. If we are serious about reducing the wage bill at least one will have to go. That raises all sorts of questions.

Do we release a young player or one whose career is near an end? Should Ribeiro go because of his injury record? Is Louis the best option from a playing point of view or is Keith's heart ruling his head? Or does he feel he doesn't yet have the authority to tell the captain that time is up? Is the Brighton rumour a tactic from Louis' agent trying to force the club's hand (far fetched maybe but we know that agents leak all kinds of stuff to benefit their clients)?

In the meantime Colin is being much more circumspect than Keith on whether Louis will get a new contract. There seems to be some muddled thinking between Keith and Colin on the strategy which needs to be sorted out I think. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I'm personally massively against giving older players contracts/coaching roles for nostalgic reasons. However Louis has been club captain for a long time and clearly has some leadership qualities that I think are much needed in the dressing room, either in a playing or non-playing capacity.

I would give Louis a 1 year pay as you play type deal, with a view to him being a back up CB/RB. Louis can stay in Bristol with his family and BCFC get an experienced head available to step in if injuries hit again on the cheap. I know we have to reduce the wage bill but this will facilitate much needed cover with Ribs/Wilson's injury record and Edwards' lack of experience. Louis could aso get some coaching badges/experience and KM can get a look at what he might have to offer post-retirement. With the (correct) strategy of acquiring young players I think the squad would benefit from his leadership and experience.

I'm personally massively against giving older players contracts/coaching roles for nostalgic reasons. However Louis has been club captain for a long time and clearly has some leadership qualities that I think are much needed in the dressing room, either in a playing or non-playing capacity.

I would give Louis a 1 year pay as you play type deal, with a view to him being a back up CB/RB. Louis can stay in Bristol with his family and BCFC get an experienced head available to step in if injuries hit again on the cheap. I know we have to reduce the wage bill but this will facilitate much needed cover with Ribs/Wilson's injury record and Edwards' lack of experience. Louis could aso get some coaching badges/experience and KM can get a look at what he might have to offer post-retirement. With the (correct) strategy of acquiring young players I think the squad would benefit from his leadership and experience.

He may have but it hasn't made much difference to our defending in recent times and at his age he can only get worse which is why I feel it is time to stop living in the past. Do you mean he would be cover for the new right back Keith wants or cover for Ribeiro who would himself be cover for the new player? Either way it still looks like a luxury we cant afford imo.

He may have but it hasn't made much difference to our defending in recent times and at his age he can only get worse which is why I feel it is time to stop living in the past. Do you mean he would be cover for the new right back Keith wants or cover for Ribeiro who would himself be cover for the new player? Either way it still looks like a luxury we cant afford imo.

We need a new right back as obviously can't rely on ribs/edwards... next season is make or break for both. I would see Louis pay as you play as a cheap and reliable CB cover, with the option of RB too if ribs is injured or edwards doesn't cut it. Accept his better days are firmly behind him but could still do a job and ticks various other boxes.

He would also add some consistency and stability if the squad gets the level of overhaul I hope for i.e. moving on regulars such as Johnson, Macca, Skuse. In fact I don't think Skuse adds enough in CM (ball winning or playing) at upper champ level so an option would be to develop him into a RB (as Orr did) so save us having to find/pay for another new player. Think this is an option?

Can see Louis maybe following in a sort of 'Gary Neville fashion'. Signing a one-year extension in the summer, yet sometime in the new year after the odd below-par game then calling it a day. But then again, Gary Neville's pay packet is in another league to Louis so perhaps not! When eventually he calls it a day I think Louis, at least, deserves an academy coaching position.

As Louis is a born n bred Bristolian and BCFC through and through, surely he will want to stay and try and pass John Atyeos appearance record for the club as he is currently only 42 games behind Big John .

If only he didnt leave for Coventry, he probably would have passed it

I love Carey but cant stand the nostalgia, he chose to leave us back then. We owe him nothing

A lot of the criticism of Louis seemed to stem from the game after his skull fracture, he clearly came back too soon and should have never played. I don,t think his performances other than that have been too bad..

The way the club dealt with scotty murray may have set a precedent, we were told his presence in the changing room was worth a last contract, will the management consider this in LC's case?

I cant see him passing that in a million years, he only played 21 times this season.

He may well have only played 21 times last season but only three of our defenders made more appearances, and one of those was a loanee. But for that bbq he would have undoubtedly made more. Can't believe some of the negativity I'm reading on this forum with regard to Carey. He is surely worth a one year contract although, at the age of 34, any more would be an unjustified gamble. In his two positions of RB and CB I'm sure we would all love to see Ribeiro and Wilson step up to the plate next year. However, with only 9 and 2 appearances respectively last season it requires a huge leap of faith to think that they will prove sufficiently robust to make a season-long contribution.

A lot of the criticism of Louis seemed to stem from the game after his skull fracture, he clearly came back too soon and should have never played. I don,t think his performances other than that have been too bad..

The way the club dealt with scotty murray may have set a precedent, we were told his presence in the changing room was worth a last contract, will the management consider this in LC's case?

Surely not, the final Murray year was an extravagant mistake and the club will surely have learnt from this.

Murray of course was out on loan a lot so had much reduced influence in the dressing room anyway.

Times have changed in any case and avowed squad reduction is another compelling reason for City to only give contracts which are completely justified by likely appearances.

No room at all for awarding a contract simply because he might be a good bloke to have around.

Exactly, one year rolling deal with a 2nd based on games is a fair deal, similar to James.

People mention his injury issues, but last season he got injured 3 times.

Freak BBQ incident - could happen to anyone

Dirty Tackle at Leeds - could happen to anyone

Skull Injury - could happen to anyone

None of them are in any relation to his age, if anything he's come back into the team too quickly for one or two games and has been rusty, but don't see that as a reason not to give him a deal.

As for Murray, he was on loan for a spell in his last year, however similar to most players who join local clubs, they still spent most of their time still training at City.

He may well have only played 21 times last season but only three of our defenders made more appearances, and one of those was a loanee. But for that bbq he would have undoubtedly made more. Can't believe some of the negativity I'm reading on this forum with regard to Carey. He is surely worth a one year contract although, at the age of 34, any more would be an unjustified gamble. In his two positions of RB and CB I'm sure we would all love to see Ribeiro and Wilson step up to the plate next year. However, with only 9 and 2 appearances respectively last season it requires a huge leap of faith to think that they will prove sufficiently robust to make a season-long contribution.

We'll be making new signings in defence and we have to give Ribeiro, Wilson, and Edwards a chance as well, surely?.

Veterans block the path to the first team for youngsters so in many ways to keep them past their sell by date is a very negative thing to do for squad morale.

No one is being negative about Carey because all would agree, I'm sure, that he has been a great servant to BCFC.

All good things must come to an end though - the final separation will always be a bit painful but it has to happen some time, and the club should make that decision on the purely practical consideration as to whether an individual player truly merits another years' wages.

We'll be making new signings in defence and we have to give Ribeiro, Wilson, and Edwards a chance as well, surely?.

Veterans block the path to the first team for youngsters so in many ways to keep them past their sell by date is a very negative thing to do for squad morale.

No one is being negative about Carey because all would agree, I'm sure, that he has been a great servant to BCFC.

All good things must come to an end though - the final separation will always be a bit painful but it has to happen some time, and the club should make that decision on the purely practical consideration as to whether an individual player truly merits another years' wages.

I don't think anyone is arguing that we should keep him or any other player on indefinitely, I think the debate is (or should be) more about the timing of when to go our separate ways. If the management and Louis himself feel that he can still produce at this level then his age shouldn't come into the equation, I think that despite the injuries already stated elsewhere in this thread he performed pretty well and is still a useful squad member. Throughout his career he has been as consistent a performer as any player we have had, I don't think he has had many nightmare performances, and although there have been a couple of players that seem to like playing against him over the years I think every defender has their nemesis throughout their career.

I don't think anyone is arguing that we should keep him or any other player on indefinitely, I think the debate is (or should be) more about the timing of when to go our separate ways. If the management and Louis himself feel that he can still produce at this level then his age shouldn't come into the equation, I think that despite the injuries already stated elsewhere in this thread he performed pretty well and is still a useful squad member. Throughout his career he has been as consistent a performer as any player we have had, I don't think he has had many nightmare performances, and although there have been a couple of players that seem to like playing against him over the years I think every defender has their nemesis throughout their career.

I think it comes down to the fact we know KM has made plain his determination to sign a couple of new defenders.

We've also seen we have capable youngsters in the form of Wilson, Ribeiro and Edwards who, if they are to have any chance of progressing, should be playing, or filling in, before Carey.

We also know that Carey, whether injury prone or not, will take longer to recover from injuries and will not be a first team choice.

Squad size is now of paramount importance and we cannot keep them all and add the 2 new one's KM has said will be coming.

Caulker and Fontaine were our first choice CB pairing last year, and Fontaine and a new signing will be first choice next. Wilson and Nyatanga will be first replacements.

There's simply no room for the veteran Carey if fine words about reducing the squad size are to be backed up by what needs to be ruthless action, completely devoid of sentiment, to achieve the promised much less bloated squad which we have been told is a financial imperative.

We've also seen we have capable youngsters in the form of Wilson, Ribeiro and Edwards who, if they are to have any chance of progressing, should be playing, or filling in, before Carey.

capable for a couple of games, YES. Capable for a 50 game season? Impossible to judge and would be stupid to risk our league position in doing so.

If we let our only established and capable defender leave the club, it would be nothing short of incompetence. Especially leaving Macca as only experinced defender (who is also likely to be replaced soon) So people actually suggest having Fontaine and Nya as our only senior defenders. MADNESS

Thankfully that won't be the case, so isn't anything worth considering

capable for a couple of games, YES. Capable for a 50 game season? Impossible to judge and would be stupid to risk our league position in doing so.

If we let our only established and capable defender leave the club, it would be nothing short of incompetence. Especially leaving Macca as only experinced defender (who is also likely to be replaced soon) So people actually suggest having Fontaine and Nya as our only senior defenders. MADNESS

Thankfully that won't be the case, so isn't anything worth considering

So Fontaine, 25 and with 200+ league games isn't experienced, then?

We also have the small matter of Damion Stewart (30, so presumably he' s experienced?) being under contract until 2013, he won't prove easy to shift and in my opinion has more to offer now than Carey anyway.

Archived