IGNORED

Bristol & Nightlife

Big Red Rich

I can't believe how many empty premises there are now in Bristol, those that I can think of are: BSB/Henry J Beans, Dragon Kiss, Sasprilla's has licensing issues I've been told, The Ranch, Chicago Rock Cafe, old Evolution/Baja nightclub, I think there is another empty bar on the Waterfront also, The Sports Bar/old Creation Nightclub. I'm sure there are more but these all used to be fairly busy premises which have obviously all got into financial problems.

It's been ages since I last had a decent night out in town, the banter is always good but there are no decent venues it seems where the music is half decent and you don't feel like you are going to get robbed, beaten up or have to look at a load of middle aged women trying to act 25.

I just can't see Bristol returning to a decent place where people will want to visit who arn't Bristolians. The likes of Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester etc are just so much better.

Thoughts?

The waterfront is trying to move away from agro filled bars and more of a European cafe/bar style front.

The recession naturally had an effect too, which is only just starting to turn around in the pub/club industry.

Truth is, a new player arrives on the scene every few months. Everyone goes there and then previous place suffers.

Sports Cafe group went into admin and only a few got sold off (Manc/Glasgow one) - I actually prefer going out in Clifton Village and then heading down more towards the Triangle.

:D Wow....

I'm 19 and at uni elsewhere, and all I hear from other people is how much people love Bristol. As a collective my flat actually agreed that if they could live anywhere in the country, it would be Bristol. They love the nightlife, I'm not sure if it's an age thing or what.

When you move out of Bristol you suddenly realise that we have a very decent night-life. It took me going to Plymouth Uni to realise this myself.

Mind you Plymouth was a shithole :laughcont:

I hardly ever go into the centre it was never worth it the aggro you use to get and the 1am fight at the taxi rink,

Normally now me and a few mates get the bus from possit and walk across the suspention bridge and visit a few pubs working our way down to the centre then bus home and out in the high street 14:00 start but by the time you get to quidgley's pizza you are ratassed

When you move out of Bristol you suddenly realise that we have a very decent night-life. It took me going to Plymouth Uni to realise this myself.

Mind you Plymouth was a shithole :laughcont:

That's where I'm at. I actually love the Plymouth nightlife as it's so cheap, but Plymouth really is an absolute dump. Perfect for students mind.

I worked in Dragon Kiss in weston but left as I didnt trust the owners as we werent paid one week because of the financial trouble. The one in bristol has the same owners and the one in weston is in admin at this moment in time with them only being able to stay open because they are borrowing a nearby club's license!

I think DK has shut down, I'll check tomorrow. I think my issue is that I dislike most of the places that are busy such as the Lizard Lounge, mbargo, bunker etc. Illusions isn't too bad and the brass pig isn't the worst place but overall I think town is shit. I used to live in cheltenham and that was a good night out, embassey, time, boom, fez etc. I dont think any of them are around now!

Old Town in Swindle is ok but the rest is a sh*thole.

I'd just stick to Swindon is pretty much a shithole all over. The only half decent place remotely in Swindon I've been to is Taw Hill and they only have the odd pub, thats it. Old Town is ok.

Otherwise I may aswel stay in Bristol. Town centre in Swindon is very poor/chavvy/low.

Bristol is 'decent' but not anything special BUT there are plenty worse places.

Archived