IGNORED

Tommy Doherty

Mclovin BS14

To be honest he can do better than that!

He was released by Bradford City who finished near the bottom of L2, I think that's probably now his level.

always liked docs he always gave 120% and fully commited but suffered with the no engine syndrome that he was knacked after 65 minutes (prolly because of his off field antics at the time)

He was also as fit as darren anderton,

Still always have fond memories of him and did well for us he's at the twilight of his career and Newport have a very good midfielder in him good luck to him

Surprised he's gone to Newport in all honesty as he had offers from league 1 & 2 clubs, appears that Newport could offer a longer deal and more money than some league 2 clubs which is surprising

Only left Bradford has he wanted to move back to Bristol nearly came down here in Jan but for injuries, was played well for them, but missed 3 months with an ankle injury.

Personally thought he would end up at Cheltenham who offered him 2 years

Either way, will be top notch in the conference.

Surprised he's gone to Newport in all honesty as he had offers from league 1 & 2 clubs, appears that Newport could offer a longer deal and more money than some league 2 clubs which is surprising

Only left Bradford has he wanted to move back to Bristol nearly came down here in Jan but for injuries, was played well for them, but missed 3 months with an ankle injury.

Personally thought he would end up at Cheltenham who offered him 2 years

Either way, will be top notch in the conference.

Anyone remember the game where he was playing his usual blinder and then puked up 20 minutes into the game. Think it was v Peterborough? Good player for us, city through and through, would have loved if he would have kept the nightlife in check, could have payed higher standard for longer.

Also always remember is red VW Golf he had, turning up match day as Captain in his car whilst the others would drive to the ground in their flash cars with private plates.

Read on here he would always turn up at local clubs to give out awards etc to kids.

Fair play to him, good luck at Newport and I hope when his finishes playing he puts his knowledge back into local football.

Anyone remember the game where he was playing his usual blinder and then puked up 20 minutes into the game. Think it was v Peterborough? Good player for us, city through and through, would have loved if he would have kept the nightlife in check, could have payed higher standard for longer.

Also always remember is red VW Golf he had, turning up match day as Captain in his car whilst the others would drive to the ground in their flash cars with private plates.

Read on here he would always turn up at local clubs to give out awards etc to kids.

Fair play to him, good luck at Newport and I hope when his finishes playing he puts his knowledge back into local football.

TBH - there's more money sloshing round Newport than many of the "local" League clubs.

They've been making a serious move on trying to get back into League Two for the past couple of years. One to watch.

Good luck to the Doc, will always be a City leg-end for me.

Newport have just become a full time professional club again (for the first time since dropping out of the league in 1989)

It's a big club in a big city (for that level) and I think the club are going places.

Also, if he's from Bristol, then I guess he can play for Newport and live back in his hometown, which must be appealing.

Newport have just become a full time professional club again (for the first time since dropping out of the league in 1989)

It's a big club in a big city (for that level) and I think the club are going places.

Also, if he's from Bristol, then I guess he can play for Newport and live back in his hometown, which must be appealing.

Quite correct CBL...

Don't know if he will fit in though............I mean......he aint mean and he has not robbed any fruit machines as far as I know!

Also he dont say "Triffic" or "Spread you"

Good luck to Tommy D.................never forget the performance in the 4-1 at Brenford (debut?) what a shift he put in that day (for an 18yr old) :clapping:

Good luck to Tommy D.................never forget the performance in the 4-1 at Brenford (debut?) what a shift he put in that day (for an 18yr old) :clapping:

Wasn't his debut v St Albans in the 9-2? May be wrong though.

Think I also saw him in the away end at Rovers when we played them when he was breaking through into the team.

One of the turning points in our promotion season under John Ward was when Gary Owers got injured (at Gillingham?) and the Doc became a regular in the side. We improved a lot after that.

On Newport, would be nice to see them back in the league - more local presence, even if it is from the other side of the bridge. I remember watching them play Yate Town years back, presumably soon after they'd reformed, which i suppose shows how far they've come. Are they still playing at that Athletics stadium with 1 stand??

Wasn't his debut v St Albans in the 9-2? May be wrong though.

Think I also saw him in the away end at Rovers when we played them when he was breaking through into the team.

One of the turning points in our promotion season under John Ward was when Gary Owers got injured (at Gillingham?) and the Doc became a regular in the side. We improved a lot after that.

On Newport, would be nice to see them back in the league - more local presence, even if it is from the other side of the bridge. I remember watching them play Yate Town years back, presumably soon after they'd reformed, which i suppose shows how far they've come. Are they still playing at that Athletics stadium with 1 stand??

Their ground is now up to league standard. About 5,000 capacity I believe. One covered stand, one covered terrace, and behind the goals one open terrace and some temporary seating (As far as I'm aware)

Newport is actually bigger than Middlesbrough, with a decent sized population in the Gwent valleys, their natural position is very much as a league club.

Archived