IGNORED

Should There Be A Minimum Wage ?

Fiale

Interesting one this as it's open to exploitation by some unscrupulous firms, but at the same time it could offer some people with learning difficulties jobs that wouldn't be available to them due to the minimum wage. Most firms aren't going to consider employing someone with less productivity for the same money. I can see where he's coming from on this but it would be fraught with problems. If, on a case by case basis the individual (and his/her carer/s) were happy with his lot then I'm all for it.

When was that though? Not trying to pry with age etc, but £60 a week was worth a lot more even 20 years ago than it is now for example.

It was a while ago granted but, starting on £60 a week and gaining valuable experience in the process over 2 years including a college placement is well worth it in the end I think. Perhaps more than £60, I dont know, if you have no bills to pay and live at home with your parents, shit I'd do it now. I'd be lucky to have that much more spare in our house now with two working full time.

Put it this way, if you were 16 and had a choice of work experience and money in the pocket or the rock n roll and no future I'm sure most kids would take the work option.

I was paid £50 pw when I started work in 1987, after my first year I get a £10pw pay increase and a training course option( a whopping 20%, and I took my BTEC paid for my the company ) - I stayed at the company for two years, learned workplace skills, interactions, and after applied and got a job on £140pw. I never looked back, slowly working my way up/sideways/ through the career ladder.

We currently have a minimum wage of £1.65 - the amount the state is willing to pay you to do nothing, you are then told you cannot work for anyone else for less than £5.93. Well I disagree with the government forcing you to work for them on £1.65 or forcing you to accept a minimum of £5.93 from someone else. Gone are the days where someone would be employed to just 'tidy up' (the sweeper, tea maker). Pay finds it's own level, Germany, Finland, Denmark, Norway and Switzerland do not have minimum wages - they all seem to do fine (even with higher costs of living than us) whereas the minimum wage club includes Ireland, Spain, Portugal and Greece (the Euro 'charity give us Billions club').

It was a while ago granted but, starting on £60 a week and gaining valuable experience in the process over 2 years including a college placement is well worth it in the end I think. Perhaps more than £60, I dont know, if you have no bills to pay and live at home with your parents, shit I'd do it now. I'd be lucky to have that much more spare in our house now with two working full time.

Put it this way, if you were 16 and had a choice of work experience and money in the pocket or the rock n roll and no future I'm sure most kids would take the work option.

Yeah, when out like that, the work option does sound better. How many horus would £60 pw be- 25-30? 40? Then again, it saves on cost of living....

Why not. As a school leaver I worked for £60 a week as an apprentice. More than enough for a 16 year old kid.

Yeah I started as a y.t.s in 94 on £45 a week.

That was 4 days at work and 1 day at college. I gained a N.V.Q level 2 after 2 years.

My first job after the course was for £145 a week take home on a golf course.

I think they should bring back the y.t.s scheme, i soon realised the value of money

Who really benefits fro the Min wage? I think identifying the disabled as the story was a mistake. It applies to all people who are out of work who would be prepared to work less than the min wage.

I generally thin its a good thing because it sets standard of living for all that should have taken family's out of poverty and stop companys exploiting workers.

Times they are a changin though.

Question is can we afford to maintain the min wage? and If company's find themselves uncompetitive? If their prices are too high due to staff costs and we have a massive level of unemployment, does it not make sense to lower the min wage to take these people on and kill 2 birds?

Or does the Bank of England manipulate the £ instead? Yes that it. Far less costly, politicly and financially to change a % that a society.

Archived