IGNORED

Fifa Latest Classic

CliftonCliff

Jack Warner resigns whilst still under suspension but before his alleged misdemeanours can be investigated by the Ethics Committee. The FIFA statement includes the following gem from Sep and Co.

"As a consequence of MR. Warner's resignation, all Ethics Committee procedures against him have been closed and the presumption of innocence is maintained".

(A muted tribute to his contribution to world football follows this priceless piece of FIFA speak.)

Words fail me.

Seems like Jack Warner had a bit of muck to spread on some FIFA members. He's probably been told (paid) to quit as long as he keeps his mouth shut and in return FIFA will drop any investigation.

Seems like Jack Warner had a bit of muck to spread on some FIFA members. He's probably been told (paid) to quit as long as he keeps his mouth shut and in return FIFA will drop any investigation.

Nothing would surprise me. The only thing you could possibly admire (though that is not the right word) is their quite breathtaking, barefaced nerve in continuing to come out publicly with this kind of bull in the full knowledge that hardly anyone reading or hearing it believes a bloody word they ever say. It's a case of (allegedly, of course): "We're lying: you know we're lying; we know you know we're lying, but we don't care. What you gonna do about it?"

How much longer can this totally disreputable body, that has now surely lost all credibilty, if it ever had any, continue to govern a major world sport? It beggars belief.

I know I keep dragging this back to the top of the agenda and that it attracts comparatively little attention, but I do think what's happening in the football world beyond the narrow confines of south Bristol is important and ultimately affects the game everywhere. It's in everyone's interests that FIFA cleans up its act and that Blatter is deposed, which became just a bit more possible today with the revelation (leaked from wiithin, it would seem) that their own Ethics Committee has found evidence that both Warner and Bin Hammam were engaged in corrupt practices, including bribery on a substantial scale.

Sepp, true to form, and as I mentioned a couple of days ago, says "the assumption of innocence is maintained" after halting the enquiry following Warner's (probably forced) resignation, thereby trying to head off any closer investigation into fraudulent activity that has taken place under his presidency. I hope those in a position to do so, including the media and our own FA, keep up the pressure on Blatter, because the cracks in his hitherto seemingly unassailable position are beginning to show.

Hope they nail the bar steward.

I know I keep dragging this back to the top of the agenda and that it attracts comparatively little attention, but I do think what's happening in the football world beyond the narrow confines of south Bristol is important and ultimately affects the game everywhere. It's in everyone's interests that FIFA cleans up its act and that Blatter is deposed, which became just a bit more possible today with the revelation (leaked from wiithin, it would seem) that their own Ethics Committee has found evidence that both Warner and Bin Hammam were engaged in corrupt practices, including bribery on a substantial scale.

Sepp, true to form, and as I mentioned a couple of days ago, says "the assumption of innocence is maintained" after halting the enquiry following Warner's (probably forced) resignation, thereby trying to head off any closer investigation into fraudulent activity that has taken place under his presidency. I hope those in a position to do so, including the media and our own FA, keep up the pressure on Blatter, because the cracks in his hitherto seemingly unassailable position are beginning to show.

Hope they nail the bar steward.

The whole situation with FIFA stinks very badly. If Blatter survives, that confirms in my mind that the corruption goes very deep, if not right through that dirty organisation and nobody is prepared to rock the boat in case they bring the whole thing tumbling down.

In a perfect world we'd see a new organisation created and make sure that cocky, power mad little s**t Blatter get's nowhere near it but I wouldn't mind betting the corruption would still continue. Football is big business and where there's money, there's dirty dealing and football; and most particularly the fans, are suffering badly because of it.

May I just point, our FA's stance is actually quite hypocritical. Our media too, though to a lesser degree.

Putting aside the fact that FIFA are actually rather popular in other parts of the world for filtering dfown money from global events like WC, and actually the main complaints appear to be from the Anglosphere putting that aside, we were happy to 'play the game' so to speak when the WC bid was ongoing. Indeed, the BBC were panned for their Panorama about alleged corruption in FIFA close to the final decision. Labelled unpatriotic etc. Also, our historic actions have indirectly lead to our current position in FIFA not being the best- read it in WSC this month. Consider the following facts:

1) Our last head of FIFA, Sir Stanley Rous objected to African nations playing in WC in the mid 1970s.

2) Because of the aforementioned willingness to 'play the game' this is seen in various quarters as English sourgrapes. It is not insignificant that the Anglosphere are the main ones leadiong the complaints (us, USA, Australia).

3) Recent Parliamentary Inquiry came to the conclusion that our FA were the most dysfunctional in Europe.

FIFA has a lot of problems and alleged dodgy practices to put it mildly, but our FA are in no position to clean it up- not only are they somewhat hypocritical but also they are terribly governed! Not much better than FIFA really...

Good article on our FA and their hypocriscy...

http://thisisfutbol.com/2011/05/blogs/the-fas-hypocrisy-exposed-why-england-didnt-deserve-to-host-the-2018-world-cup

May I just point, our FA's stance is actually quite hypocritical. Our media too, though to a lesser degree.

Putting aside the fact that FIFA are actually rather popular in other parts of the world for filtering dfown money from global events like WC, and actually the main complaints appear to be from the Anglosphere putting that aside, we were happy to 'play the game' so to speak when the WC bid was ongoing. Indeed, the BBC were panned for their Panorama about alleged corruption in FIFA close to the final decision. Labelled unpatriotic etc. Also, our historic actions have indirectly lead to our current position in FIFA not being the best- read it in WSC this month. Consider the following facts:

1) Our last head of FIFA, Sir Stanley Rous objected to African nations playing in WC in the mid 1970s.

2) Because of the aforementioned willingness to 'play the game' this is seen in various quarters as English sourgrapes. It is not insignificant that the Anglosphere are the main ones leadiong the complaints (us, USA, Australia).

3) Recent Parliamentary Inquiry came to the conclusion that our FA were the most dysfunctional in Europe.

FIFA has a lot of problems and alleged dodgy practices to put it mildly, but our FA are in no position to clean it up- not only are they somewhat hypocritical but also they are terribly governed! Not much better than FIFA really...

Good article on our FA and their hypocriscy...

http://thisisfutbol....-2018-world-cup

Just want to say I don't disagree with a word of this, mate, in case I've given any impression to the contrary. In fact, I posted something to much the same effect myself on a previous thread.

Triesman only complained about dirty tricks after Warner had failed to vote for us. He'd have quite happily kept his mouth shut if we'd been given the World Cup: that sort of complicity is only one small step away from being bent yourself.

I'm no defender of our FA, who I regard as toothless and spineless, as well as dysfunctional, but they are nevertheless in a position to pursue this issue and they do have a motive (whether honourable or sour grapes, or both), which a good many other associations don't. (Quite a few, in fact, have a vested interest in keeping a corrupt regime in place).

It's more a case of 'my enemy's enemy is my friend'. If a general rooting out of fraud at FIFA also drops a few people in the mire at our own FA, I'd have no problem with that. I just want to see this whole stinking mess cleaned up, regardless of whether it's at FIFA or closer to home.

Archived