IGNORED

Our Defence

So, in terms of goals conceded, we were either epic or crap.

Stat time

1) Conceded 65 goals last season, 11 teams conceded less

2)12 times we conceded 3 or more accounting for 39 goals conceded avg 3.25 goals per game

3) In our other 36 games we conceded less than 3, accounting for 26 goals conceded, meaning about 1.3 goals per game.

This is too high if looking at promotion...however

4) We came 4th in terms of clean sheets :grr::facepalm:

Conclusion, our defense was great until we concede when we just fall to pieces.

Solution, we need a leader at the back or our defenders need a good kick up the arse. They're not that bad, until one goes in. :facepalm:

In our first season in the Championship we were strong at the back and our defenders were prepared to put their bodies on the line. Since then they have slipped into their comfort zone and that level of commitment is no longer there. Two of them (Carey and McAllister) are also ageing. The decline is 3 seasons old but three of them are still regulars in the side (adding Fontaine). I see no reason to assume that they are suddenly going to go back to that original form so at least two need to be replaced imo. The odd thing though is that despite the decline in our defending only McAllister gets any criticism, having replaced Lee Johnson as the whipping boy; it seems therefore that both Keith and the majority of fans are happy with them.

Conclusion, our defense was great until we concede when we just fall to pieces.

Solution, we need a leader at the back or our defenders need a good kick up the arse. They're not that bad, until one goes in. :facepalm:

Well said, though I'd like to add that something I didn't initially consider is that once we go one goal down, we instantly push more offensive to counter the opposition. Considering that in Carey and McAllister we have two old and not particularly pacy defenders I think it is understandable why some of the goals were conceeded. I'd also like to add that people rightly criticised Hunt and Stewart at the start of the season, but for me the latter massively improved as the season went on. Hunt on the other hand, just lacks any conviction as a championship player he seems to have no pace, is awkwardly mobile and generally has a lack of desire/ ability.

The improvement in our defence came when we REJUVENATED it (spelling?) with the additions of Caulker and Spence - two young, hungry and pacy defenders.

The main problem was that we didn't have a settled defence. In terms of percentages here are the appearance stats.

McAllister.....74, Fontaine..67, Caulker..63, Carey and Stewart..46, Nyatanga..43, Spence..24, Ribeiro..20, Hunt..15, Edwards and Wilson..4, Williams..2.

Only 3 players appeared in more than half of League fixtures. We can probably all agree that a settled defence is the key to success. A settled and first choice back four is the main thing that Keith has to sort out. If he is unable to address this over the Summer then a top 6 finish is just a distant dream.

Bigrob- What so you are saying you would be happy to have the same defence for next season? You don't have to be einstein to know that are defence very poor! Yes I have read the post and it isn't good enough. If we want to reach the top six then we have to do better!! You might be happy with us floating around mid table or below but some people want to see progress and ambition!!!

The main problem was that we didn't have a settled defence. In terms of percentages here are the appearance stats.

McAllister.....74, Fontaine..67, Caulker..63, Carey and Stewart..46, Nyatanga..43, Spence..24, Ribeiro..20, Hunt..15, Edwards and Wilson..4, Williams..2.

Only 3 players appeared in more than half of League fixtures. We can probably all agree that a settled defence is the key to success. A settled and first choice back four is the main thing that Keith has to sort out. If he is unable to address this over the Summer then a top 6 finish is just a distant dream.

Great point about settled, tried to find percent stats but couldnt be arsed,

Bigrob- What so you are saying you would be happy to have the same defence for next season? You don't have to be einstein to know that are defence very poor! Yes I have read the post and it isn't good enough. If we want to reach the top six then we have to do better!! You might be happy with us floating around mid table or below but some people want to see progress and ambition!!!

Did I say I'd be happy with it?

You said our defence was shite, when the first post shows clearly that it isn't.

And if you think saying the defence is shite is a sign of you wanting progress and ambition then I suggest you find better ways of expressing those views.

Actually YES, i would take our defence from last season at it's most settled period

i.e: Spence Caulker Fontaine Macallister

Unfortunately, even with new signings, i think our defence will not be as strong as this next season after the departures of the obvious two.

The defence clearly wasn't Shit last season with 14(?) clean sheets, it was just unsettled due to injuries, mainly.

Did I say I'd be happy with it?

You said our defence was shite, when the first post shows clearly that it isn't.

And if you think saying the defence is shite is a sign of you wanting progress and ambition then I suggest you find better ways of expressing those views.

Well what is it then? Isn't exactly top notch. All I'm saying is that without sorting the defence out, we will never get anywhere and that's 90% fact! And IMO yes the defence is shite, but you have your opinion and that's fine but I think we need a new fresh back four and start over. Keep fontaine, ribs, edwards and wilson but the rest can go(macca, tangs, carey, stewart). I know that's harsh with what macca and carey have done for the club over the years but we need to start being brutal and get rid!

Replying BS3 - are you serious? Even though caulker and spence are not playing for us anymore?

Replying BS3 - are you serious? Even though caulker and spence are not playing for us anymore?

That is what i am saying....

You asked if I/we would be happy with the same defence as last season. My answer was yes, as it would mean having Caulker and Spence.

I can only see our back 4 being weaker than it was for parts of last season, however, if it can be more settled then it might just work better as a unit.

14 cleans sheets was my argument against your comment that our defence was shit last season.

Actually YES, i would take our defence from last season at it's most settled period

i.e: Spence Caulker Fontaine Macallister

Unfortunately, even with new signings, i think our defence will not be as strong as this next season after the departures of the obvious two.

The defence clearly wasn't Shit last season with 14(?) clean sheets, it was just unsettled due to injuries, mainly.

Whilst I agree that I would take that back four going into next season, how can this be last season's defence at it's most settled period?? If I remember rightly, Caulker was injured almost immediately after Spence was signed, if not before. I'm not sure they even played together for more than two or three games - so this could never be a settled defence!

Edit - Just checked, they played a massively settled 34 minutes together, before Caulker was injured. Not to mention that the other members of the back four that day were Nyatanga and Fonts, so those four have never played together!

Archived