IGNORED

Shaun Taylor

GrahamC

New assistant manager at Torquay.

Brilliant leader on the pitch for us and now he's Devon based again this seems a perfect job for him, so I wish him all the very best.

Looks like Alex Russell will be returning there as player/coach, too.

Good luck to him, excellent for us by all accounts. I saw him towards the end of his time at City, 1998/99 relegation season- we mleaked goals for fun that year from recollection, with some huge hammerings. He came back from injury at the start of April I think- really shored things up and for a brief period that month the great escape was on- sadly a dodgy ref v Birmingham at the end of that month all but nailed it.:disapointed2se:

Honestly think we're still trying to replace him!!!! We haven't had such a commanding centre half since he left. Good luck to him....hope this paves the way to management for him. Born leader.

Absolutely. It was effectively John Ward's failure to find a replacement for Shaun that led to relegation back to the third division. A player like him would transform our defence but they are thin on the ground.

Absolutely. It was effectively John Ward's failure to find a replacement for Shaun that led to relegation back to the third division. A player like him would transform our defence but they are thin on the ground.

I think you'll find it was Scott Davidson's failure in signing strikers John Ward didn't want (Tony Thorpe) and then sacking and bringing in big fat Benny and his cap cost us taht season,

I remeber Shaun Taylor away at Oxford then they scored their 3rd he was standing over Phillips calling him every name under the sun because he was having a stinking, complete legend

I think you'll find it was Scott Davidson's failure in signing strikers John Ward didn't want (Tony Thorpe) and then sacking and bringing in big fat Benny and his cap cost us taht season,

I remeber Shaun Taylor away at Oxford then they scored their 3rd he was standing over Phillips calling him every name under the sun because he was having a stinking, complete legend

My wording was not good and I was not intending to slag JW off. I should have said inability rather than failure. Fair comment on Davidson, though it was John I think who signed Julian Watts and our defending that cost us our place. One of those strikers did of course have a 20 goals season. John himself said he wasn't coping but he was shafted when Benny was brought in as opposed to Ray Harford. But had we been able to replace Shaun (and I'm not blaming John for that as he was a hell of an act to follow) I believe we and John would have survived. Great shame as JW is a really nice guy.

My wording was not good and I was not intending to slag JW off. I should have said inability rather than failure. Fair comment on Davidson, though it was John I think who signed Julian Watts and our defending that cost us our place. One of those strikers did of course have a 20 goals season. John himself said he wasn't coping but he was shafted when Benny was brought in as opposed to Ray Harford. But had we been able to replace Shaun (and I'm not blaming John for that as he was a hell of an act to follow) I believe we and John would have survived. Great shame as JW is a really nice guy.

easily done fella :clapping: ,

I do disagree with you still but we'll leave it at that

only being watching city since early 90's

defo my favourite play so far.

Always wondered whether McCombe would be seen in a similar light, but that never materialised. Taylor's positioning was 2nd to none, whereas McCombe was not so good and was often caught for pace and it showed.

Shaun Taylor, probably the hardest player I've seen down the Gate (I'm too young to of seen Gerry Gow), not in a loud or aggressive way, but in terms of bravery and sheer determination to get three points, he'd gladly of spilt blood for the cause. Legend in my eyes.

Shaun Taylor - possibly our greatst defender in recent the last 10-15 years.

Had EVERYTHING, apart from age, utter bargain too from Swindon, great signing by Joe Jordan, Swindon fans still don't understand why they sold him!

As for John Ward, nice bloke, but less said the better,

Agree with the others on this thread, John Ward was a top bloke, but I recall he walked (as he admitted he didn't know what to do next) rather than being sacked.

His last game was against Bolton (which was live on TV) and he had the players really pumped up for that game, which we won. I reckon if he stayed, rather Benny coming in and trying to change the tactics, we'd have just stayed up with bottle rather than skill.

On another note, if the season was a few weeks longer, I reckon we would have been safe also. Benny got us playing some half decent stuff towards the end of the season.

Archived