IGNORED

Is Caulker An Option Again

The Batman

Parklane82

Do you think it's best for Caulker's development to go out on loan? I was thinking that it may be best to keep him and give him game time in the Europa League and the League Cup. He would not impact on premier league squad restrictions as he is home grown and would provide back up to the first team squad. unless harry is planning on bringing in 3 or 4 new defenders

What's your view?

Parklane82

Do you think it's best for Caulker's development to go out on loan? I was thinking that it may be best to keep him and give him game time in the Europa League and the League Cup. He would not impact on premier league squad restrictions as he is home grown and would provide back up to the first team squad. unless harry is planning on bringing in 3 or 4 new defenders

What's your view?

We'll, I think at this point in his career he's got to be patient with wanting games week in/week out. We have a great collection of CBs and a few of them (Gallas & King) will be retiring in the next 2 seasons so there will be places for Caulker once this takes place. I'm usually against the idea of our upcoming youth players sticking around the squad for the sake of a few cup games as opposed to going out on loan and getting first team experience on a regular basis. However, like the story with Rose it sometimes wont go as planned if the player is sent to a club that doesnt really suit him or he doesnt show what he's capable of. In Caulker's case I think he has a good footballing brain and is a step above any youth player we have at the moment, which is why he's progressed so quickly over the last 2 seasons.

With that said, having the likes of Dawson, Gallas, King, Kaboul, Khumalo, and Bassong (who will most likely move on) ahead of him in the pecking order I think its better for his development to go out on loan, instead of waiting for the cup games to play. Even though he'd be training with the first team, I think playing competitive games on a regular basis will be better for him especially if its in the Premier League. We've also been linked with Cahill and Samba to come in this summer, which I do not want to see happen because it'll only be a set back to Caulker's progress into the first team.

But, there are a few at the club who still dont think he's going to be a top PL player, more mid table club sort of player (the person who has told me this info, also said a few thought Dawson wouldnt either and we know that story) so I think he'll definitely get a chance but I think it will come after next season. If a loan to a PL club can be agreed and he does well then theres every reason to keep him the following season.

We'll, I think at this point in his career he's got to be patient with wanting games week in/week out. We have a great collection of CBs and a few of them (Gallas & King) will be retiring in the next 2 seasons so there will be places for Caulker once this takes place. I'm usually against the idea of our upcoming youth players sticking around the squad for the sake of a few cup games as opposed to going out on loan and getting first team experience on a regular basis. However, like the story with Rose it sometimes wont go as planned if the player is sent to a club that doesnt really suit him or he doesnt show what he's capable of. In Caulker's case I think he has a good footballing brain and is a step above any youth player we have at the moment, which is why he's progressed so quickly over the last 2 seasons.

With that said, having the likes of Dawson, Gallas, King, Kaboul, Khumalo, and Bassong (who will most likely move on) ahead of him in the pecking order I think its better for his development to go out on loan, instead of waiting for the cup games to play. Even though he'd be training with the first team, I think playing competitive games on a regular basis will be better for him especially if its in the Premier League. We've also been linked with Cahill and Samba to come in this summer, which I do not want to see happen because it'll only be a set back to Caulker's progress into the first team.

But, there are a few at the club who still dont think he's going to be a top PL player, more mid table club sort of player (the person who has told me this info, also said a few thought Dawson wouldnt either and we know that story) so I think he'll definitely get a chance but I think it will come after next season. If a loan to a PL club can be agreed and he does well then theres every reason to keep him the following season.

Thanks for the response. Look's a real prospect to me and I would be surprised if he's not a regular for you in a couple of years.

Archived