IGNORED

Alex Russell

eric04

I was thinking about our youth coaching set up today after Wickhams move to Sunderland.

Why do other teams (Ipswich, Southampton, Reading etc, etc) produce young players that the big clubs snap up for massive and ours don't?.

is it small club syndrome?, or is it a gulf in quality?......I can't believe they are THAT much better than ours.

BCAGFC

I'd read somewhere very recently that Russell was set to be either coach or assistant manager (I can't recall which) at Torquay, under their new boss. Did I dream this? And if not, I wonder why that didn't go through?

As to him re-joining us in another capacity, if he's as good a coach as he was a player, he'll do well when he gets used to his new role. We signed him originally when he was getting towards the end of his career, but he was a good pro as a player and very experienced. I had a lot of respect for him. Let's hope he can pass some of that on to the young 'uns. We certainly need to up the standard of our youth products.

I was thinking about our youth coaching set up today after Wickhams move to Sunderland.

Why do other teams (Ipswich, Southampton, Reading etc, etc) produce young players that the big clubs snap up for massive and ours don't?.

is it small club syndrome?, or is it a gulf in quality?......I can't believe they are THAT much better than ours.

BCAGFC

It's not that, it's just as much luck as anything else. Although it wasn't as extreme payment as for Walcott or Wickham, or potentially Chamberlain, we did bring through Cotterill. But look at the flipside, we are one of many many clubs who don't bring through anyone particularly special. Its not like we're the only ones.

I'd read somewhere very recently that Russell was set to be either coach or assistant manager (I can't recall which) at Torquay, under their new boss. Did I dream this? And if not, I wonder why that didn't go through?

As to him re-joining us in another capacity, if he's as good a coach as he was a player, he'll do well when he gets used to his new role. We signed him originally when he was getting towards the end of his career, but he was a good pro as a player and very experienced. I had a lot of respect for him. Let's hope he can pass some of that on to the young 'uns. We certainly need to up the standard of our youth products.

yep, last week, player/coach

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13895202.stm

Archived