IGNORED

Footballs Losses

94th Minute

Okay, I know that the financial state of football is allegedly absolutely terrible, with 2 clubs in the world running at a profit... one of who is Tripoli Town FC, who struck oil under their old ground...

So maybe I exaggerate, but it's clear that very few teams are able to run at a profit; or that's what we're told. However would it not be of great advantage to the football clubs to appear to be running at a huge loss, whilst actually making profits? Not only would they not be liable to paying taxes, but also the is downward pressure on players wages from the public, who see the current situation as unsustainable. As an added advantage people are willing to pay £40 for a replica shirt and upwards of £30 for a ticket to watch a game, because it only goes to help plug a massive blackhole of debt... you don't feel so bad giving extraordinary amounts of cash to a club struggling to break even, as opposed to a club making millions already every year.

We are all happy to point out that huge multinational companies like vodafone, as well as bands like U2, are hiding their profits, tax dodging bar stewards... but could our football clubs be just as bad?

I read this on facebook, from an American friend, but if the NBA is possibly doing it, why couldn't the football league?

These clubs are owned by business men, who have made millions elsewhere, and yet everyone is willing to accept that for some reason, normally called a passion for the game, they run this business at a loss...

http://deadspin.com/5816870/exclusive-how-and-why-an-nba-team-makes-a-7-million-profit-look-like-a-28-million-loss

Okay... I thought it was kind of interesting for debate! Is this a topic which has been debated far too many times already for anyone to be interested in? I thought I'd at least get a reply pointing out that some clubs have gone into administration....

Nothing?

It is interesting, but I dont think clubs are secretly making a shit load of cash and not telling MR HMRC. But who knows what goes on, I mean how the flying fork did that conman get SVEN and CAMPBELL to join Notts Co, and how did he get Notts Co? What a class blag artist.

Interestingly its no going to be illeagal to bribe costomers for business now, wtf?! Taht sucks, business is built around bribes and brown envolops and to suggest otherwise or to say its going to stop is the most stupid and dumb thing Ive ever heard, how the fork do you POlice that then?

We are screwed in the EU, SCREWED I TELL THEE. Byeeee standard of living, becase good old capitalisim have found its way over to commie China, and the love it.

God the USA are in trouble, they fight the Nam war to stop it spreading and to instal capitalisim, and now the sworn enemy are going to crush them with it, ah lolz poetic justice? Silly Americans :yawn:, we think it will be bad in the EU and it will be,but the USA is going to distablize and break up within 4 yrs, you mark my words, the end of the world is comming.

EDIT< oh shit your a Yank op, sry dude, ment no disrespect, but I would be worried, very worried. *phew got my edit done in time :me?:...noone saw that did they? I like Amerika really, they have done nothing to me at all, or my family.

Okay, I know that the financial state of football is allegedly absolutely terrible, with 2 clubs in the world running at a profit... one of who is Tripoli Town FC, who struck oil under their old ground...

So maybe I exaggerate, but it's clear that very few teams are able to run at a profit; or that's what we're told. However would it not be of great advantage to the football clubs to appear to be running at a huge loss, whilst actually making profits? Not only would they not be liable to paying taxes, but also the is downward pressure on players wages from the public, who see the current situation as unsustainable. As an added advantage people are willing to pay £40 for a replica shirt and upwards of £30 for a ticket to watch a game, because it only goes to help plug a massive blackhole of debt... you don't feel so bad giving extraordinary amounts of cash to a club struggling to break even, as opposed to a club making millions already every year.

We are all happy to point out that huge multinational companies like vodafone, as well as bands like U2, are hiding their profits, tax dodging bar stewards... but could our football clubs be just as bad?

I read this on facebook, from an American friend, but if the NBA is possibly doing it, why couldn't the football league?

These clubs are owned by business men, who have made millions elsewhere, and yet everyone is willing to accept that for some reason, normally called a passion for the game, they run this business at a loss...

http://deadspin.com/...28-million-loss

The other club making a profit must be Arsenal who are VERY profitable (although a lot of that has come from property deals done on their old ground). Man Utd WERE making profits before the Glazers borrowed hundreds of millions to buy them and then started charging the interest on those loans to the club.

You ignore the fact all these companies are required (by law) to undertake an annual audit of their accounts which is done by independant accounting firms. If they go along with financial "massaging" then their reputation is on the line and indeed they could be prosecuted. Remember the Enron scandal finished off the huge accounting firm Anderson.

You can do lots of things with figures, but the fact is, the basic economics of football in Europe are crazy with losses (mainly) underwritten by their owners (including SL) and it can't go on. Lots more clubs will go to the wall over the coming years I am certain.

The thing is, to say only Arsenal are profitable isn't strictly true. I don't know about the Lower Leagues but in some of the main the top divisions across Europe I'd suggest the following are fairly to very profitable:

Here:

Arsenal

Liverpool

Man Utd

Newcastle maybe

Stoke- maybe

Tottenham

Possiblty Wolves

Obviously one season wonders Blackpool and Burnley did so which may stand them in good stead down the line.

Italy:

Catania

Lazio

Livorno

Palermo

Napoli

Udinese- broke even over a 2 year period.

Again, only 6...

There are a number of others underneath though posting pretty damn small losses of just a couple of million.

6%2BNapoli%2BSerie%2BA%2BProfit.jpg

Bundesliga:

Has quite strict licensing agreement so I'd be surprised if there were as many large loss making clubs there. Certainly Bayern Munich I'd have thought are quite well run, Borussia Dortmund too are getting there after overstretching themselves a decade or so ago. Often said to be quite profitable, but teams like Schalke and Wolfsburg will run losses- not entirely sure of a club by club breakdown though.

La Liga:

Real quite profitable, Barcelona hard to say- maybe maybe not. Other figures harder to gauge, though this is quite an interersting link:

http://www.football-...league-2011.pdf

Have to say on that last list, there are some BIG underachievers based on income, attendances etc!

Archived