IGNORED

Kalifa Cisse!

FanaticRed

Millens in charge not Johnson :laughcont:

Cisse in central defence.

Nyatanga/Fontaine at left back (ok, somewhat forced)

Stead left wing

Skuse full back.

Woolford starting line up :whistle2:

In the words of Roger Daltrey...."Meet the new boss....same as the old boss.....!!!"

That said I am alot more comfortable with Keef now than I was seven months ago, to his credit.

Cisse in central defence.

Stead left wing

Skuse full back.

Woolford starting line up :whistle2:

In the words of Roger Daltrey...."Meet the new boss....same as the old boss.....!!!"

That said I am alot more comfortable with Keef now than I was seven months ago, to his credit.

......WHO ? :)

Cisse in central defence. Due to injurys

Stead left wing during a game not starting

Skuse full back. due to injurys

Woolford starting line up :whistle2: I'll give you that

Fontaine & Nyatanga have always been centre backs who can play at left back, there was even a brief discussion on here some while ago as to whether Liam might be a better option than Macca. In the same manner, Cisse has played at centre back in the past & was used sparingly there, and only when required. Stead dropped back into a 5-man midfield because he's a physical presence with ridiculous stamina. After all, we've never been accused of getting overrun in midfield now have we? Millens not perfect but please use your brain in criticism.

Personally I'd cash in on Marvin if we got a big offer.

Cisse and Kilkenny would be the two for me.

Cisse, similar to Skuse are both very under-rated players who go about their jobs excellently with a no frills approach and play the Makelele role excellently

Personally speaking my midfield would be one of Skuse/Cisse and Marv/Kilkenny, that said I can see all the partnerships of those 4 doing a great job at this level AS LONG as they have decent wingers either side of them

Usually agree with your comments Donald but not on this one.

Football's about partnerships. Ill be amazed if Cisse plays next to Kilkenny. Although one's a defensive shield and the other a playmaker both are 'sitting' midfielders thus their would be too much of a gap between midfield and attack, even if Stead drops deep.

Marv's high energy all action style would be perfect next to Kilkenny who apparently does everything bar tackle or track back. I get the impression he's a much better version of LJ.

LJ and Marv's partnership worked a treat for so long.

IF we'd brought in a playmaker like Hoolihan for instance ie - a player who likes a dribble then Cisse would of been ideal next to him and not Marv, if you get what im saying?!

Fontaine & Nyatanga have always been centre backs who can play at left back, there was even a brief discussion on here some while ago as to whether Liam might be a better option than Macca. In the same manner, Cisse has played at centre back in the past & was used sparingly there, and only when required. Stead dropped back into a 5-man midfield because he's a physical presence with ridiculous stamina. After all, we've never been accused of getting overrun in midfield now have we? Millens not perfect but please use your brain in criticism.

Wasn't criticism...just pointing out that he has often played players out of position. There is criticism to be found in those selections though, so....

As for Fonts and Nyatanga being centre backs who can play at left back, they may be described as that, but I can't honestly say that either have ever performed effectively in that role. Injuries dictated, as I accepted in my original post, but the fact still remains that they are not the best option and cover is required.

Stead dropping back into that role (can't remember which game) was crazy as if i recall correctly we were chasing the game, and it didn't come off. He was completely isolated and offered nothing in that position. Having ridiculous stamina and being strong doesn't mean you can play any given position. As he showed.

And as for Cisse playing at centre back. When required? Every game he played at centre back he made Hunt seem like a world class player. Ergo it was never required. Completely different animal to the midfield Cisse. Twice should have been enough to show that it was a disaster. We had Stewart available (who came good in the end - not great, but good) or could easily have put a kid in there, but it was Milly's reluctance to use the youth earlier on that meant that Cisse was played there when all could see it simply was dangerous to do so. Playing inexperience in position is better than playing experienced but incapable out of position.

Like i said though, i'm alot more comfortable with Millen in charge now than i was then, but let's not go down the route of shielding him from criticism, because he will naturally make mistakes.

All I'll say is how many successful teams do you see nowadays who operate WITHOUT a holding midfielder. Barca/Real/Prem top 4...

Now I've got a lot of time for Elliot's hustle and bustle and think he's a great asset, but I'd personally start Cisse all day long to sit in front of the back 4. This is a back 4 that is increasingly looking like it may be fragile, unless Milly pulls off a couple of coups in the next 2 months. As has been mentioned already it also facilitates more adventurous wing play.

If Wolves or any other team stumped up a few mill for Marv I'd take it. Again I love his attitude, but his quality is mid-Champ... unless he significantly ups his game he will never be a Prem/winning Champ midfielder.

Used to think Cisse was poor, but now- as others have said, he takes pressure off etc. When I watched Preston away with some mates who support PL sides, one of whom was seeing City for the first time certainly live, other first time in years- guess who they identified as our best passing mid that day? Cisse!

There again, I don't get this fascination with XI players starting week after week?! Some games Cissé will play when we need to be solid.

Agree. Squad rotation is the key. There will be games where Cisse is going to be more suitable than Elliot to partner Killenny and vice versa the same goes for Skuse. All 3 are valuable in there own right IMO. From where im standing the obvious thing i can see we need to adress is bringing in (if we can) another cretaive mid and off-loading LJ somehow. A young prem lad on loan would be ideal.

We have 4 top quality midfielders in Cisse, Elliott, Skuse and Kilkenny who all contribute different aspects to the team so I can see there being a rotation between these 4 depending on the type of opposition we play. Think LJ will go join his dad and we will bring in a young centre mid to replace him.

As much as I rate Cisse, I think it will be Marv and Kilkenny starting the season off.

When Cisse got injured last season we drafted Johnson in, he played deeper like Cisse did and tried to knock it about whilst Marv had a bit more advanced role.

I think we may see the same thing with Kilkenny.

We have 4 top quality midfielders in Cisse, Elliott, Skuse and Kilkenny who all contribute different aspects to the team so I can see there being a rotation between these 4 depending on the type of opposition we play. Think LJ will go join his dad and we will bring in a young centre mid to replace him.

Not gonna happen.... ever! (again)

disagree I think he is a squad player, A very esxpensive squad player at that

Elliot and Kilkenny will be our main midfield two with Cisse Skuse and LJ in reserve in that order,

With City going down the valuse for money route at long last I expect Cisse to run down his contract and leave on a free with a younger version coming in next year

I do rate him higher the Skuse (who I don't rate at all) and Johnson (who's a decent bench player)

Disagree mate, Cisse is our (to date) best midfielder, way above Marv. He can read the game better than I have seen at city for years.

Kilkenny needs the freedom to be "creative" and spread the ball; Cisse has the strength and holding ability to give the attaching third confidence to get forward.

Agree with first post, let's get him to extend ! difficult to get youngsters in with that ability and experience in the championship & Premier League

Much as i , and everyone else, love "super Marv" lets be honest, he spends a fair amount of time chasing his first touch...... Love his energy and threat from midfield but.............. Cisse is a solid Champ defensive mid , Skuse varies but ,again, his basic skills let him down, Kilkennyyoubastards? No idea but he sounds like a good-un, cant wait to see him.

Keef values elliot alot more then Cisse,

Apperances Marv: 47 Starts 1 Sub Cisse: 20 Starts 10 Sub

Goals Marv: 8 Cisse: 0 (Lee Johnson out scored him)

Assists Marv: 1 Cisse: 0 (Nicky Hunt had 1)

Shooting Marv: 39 On Target 43 Off Target Post 2

Shooting Cisse: 0 On Target 0 Off Target Post 0 (Failed to have a shot)

Fouls Marv 92 (6 Yellow) Cisse 32 (2 Yellow) (Can't reeally get much from this but it would appear Marv does alot of tackling)

Going on stats alone Marv does a hell of alot more for the team then Cisse and the fact millen picked him for every game shows he's the main man in midfield and thats how I would have it

Again Cisse is a expensive squad player at best

All stats taken from www.bcfc.co.uk

Don't think keeeeeeef values him more, cisse was just plain toilet at the beginning of last season.

Why?

I rate Elliot alot more then I rate Cisse and I feel he's more important to the team and see him starting with Kilkenny

I personally I think the main reason we stayed up was Maynard coming back and scoring winning goals for us

Seriously Monkeh, Marv's first touch and passing range very poor for a central midfielder. He got better all round as the season wore on only due to Cisse being behind him.

Having looked at the Leeds forums for info on Kilkenny they seem to be of the opinion that he would be best utilised as the lynchpin of a midfield three. Predominantly because he is not solid enough in a two. They felt that the reason they fell short last season was because so many sides cut through their weak midfield, exposing their defence too frequently.

This would also best use our squad. Cisse, Marv & Killa, then Nicky, Steady & Albert looks decent on paper. Solidy, creativity & goals.

Just the defence to sort out now. As an aside, I wonder if we will see Hunt given a second chance with a full preseason under his belt if we can't get rid of him. You don't go from being a quality premier league right back to an appalling downs league standard player without reason. Doubtless this would be castigated by most but confidence is everything and his was clearly gone last year.

Archived