IGNORED

An Outsiders Prediction

MurrayLives

found this on a blog, always interesting to see how outsiders view our chances:

Bristol City

A 15th place finish last season, you can bet that Robins fans will want to retain their Championship status. And, at the risk of being blunt, that may be the best that they can achieve when you consider the competition in the top-half of the table. Therefore, I think Bristol City will, yet again finish in the mid- to- lower area in the Championship this season. They appear to have a slightly too good defensive record to go down, but will undoubtedly struggle to score goals. Their top scorer last season, Brett Pitman, scored 13 goals and Jon Stead 9 goals. Their concern for this season then, is the aging goalkeeper David James and captain Louis Carey, the main reasons for their good defensive record. If the heart of their defence goes, Bristol City are well and truly struggling to retain their Championship status.

Verdict- 16th

Bristol City

A 15th place finish last season, you can bet that Robins fans will want to retain their Championship status. And, at the risk of being blunt, that may be the best that they can achieve when you consider the competition in the top-half of the table. Therefore, I think Bristol City will, yet again finish in the mid- to- lower area in the Championship this season. They appear to have a slightly too good defensive record to go down, but will undoubtedly struggle to score goals. Their top scorer last season, Brett Pitman, scored 13 goals and Jon Stead 9 goals. Their concern for this season then, is the aging goalkeeper David James and captain Louis Carey, the main reasons for their good defensive record. If the heart of their defence goes, Bristol City are well and truly struggling to retain their Championship status.

Verdict- 16th

I don't see what's wrong with this, it sounds about right to me.

Hand on heart, does anybody really see us as being anything other than a lower mid-table side in this season's Championship?

I don't see what's wrong with this, it sounds about right to me.

Hand on heart, does anybody really see us as being anything other than a lower mid-table side in this season's Championship?

It's not the prediction its the bit about our defence being good and our strikes not being very good.

It's not the prediction its the bit about our defence being good and our strikes not being very good.

This, No mention of Albert and Nicky tells you all you need to know regarding it's author.

I don't mind being written off though. Hopefully opposition managers will follow their supporters in doing just that... I remember what happened last time they did that!:innocent06:

Absolute drivel where the hell did that come from.

seems to have very little knowledge regards our team.

I really think we have one of the best front ends in the division,with pace down both wings with bolasie apparantly quicker the adamoh,defenders wont know what has hit em.

looking forward to it after last years rubbish.

It's arse about face re defence and attack but the prediction isn't far off.

I've seen a few of these now and they all say the same - we will struggle this season and I don't think they're wrong.

There's a lot of teams that are strengthening their squads and a couple that are chucking a lot of money at it as well. I think we are now competing with Barnsley, Doncaster, Peterbrough, Palace, Coventry, Derby and possibly Watford and Millwall to stay up. If we do better than 16th I'll be happy (and surprised).

The Championship is fast becoming like the Premier League, where there are clearly "leagues within leagues". I no longer believe that any team can beat any other in the Championship.

The best we can hope for at the moment is to finish near the top of the "bottom league", if you know what I mean.

The Championship is fast becoming like the Premier League, where there are clearly "leagues within leagues". I no longer believe that any team can beat any other in the Championship.

The best we can hope for at the moment is to finish near the top of the "bottom league", if you know what I mean.

And yet the results from last season show that anyone can beat anyone....

Actually, I think our defence wasn't as bad as it seems last year. They actually kept clean sheets in 16 games. However, out of 20 defeats last season, 18 involved them conceding more than one goal, and 10 saw them ship 3 or more. The problem seems to be more one of mentality than anything else, with any breach of the defence followed by a total collapse in most instances.

A more settled and confident team would make that defence far more adequate than it was, though I'd accept arguments that nothing has been done in terms of leadership and there is no guarantee that fielding a settled back 4 will be more possible this season.

Actually, I think our defence wasn't as bad as it seems last year. They actually kept clean sheets in 16 games. However, out of 20 defeats last season, 18 involved them conceding more than one goal, and 10 saw them ship 3 or more. The problem seems to be more one of mentality than anything else, with any breach of the defence followed by a total collapse in most instances.

A more settled and confident team would make that defence far more adequate than it was, though I'd accept arguments that nothing has been done in terms of leadership and there is no guarantee that fielding a settled back 4 will be more possible this season.

Agreed with that, at times last season with a settled back line of Macca, Caulker, Fonts and Carey (Later Spence)we looked nigh on dominant. But as soon as we conceded, the heads dropped and it all went to pot as the midfield was forced to chase the game and gaps opened up.

It would be interesting to see some stats on how many points we got from conceding the first goal. I would hazard a guess at it being a particularly low number. but thats simply guess work.

It's quite funny though, because coming back from losing positions was something we were exceptional at under GJ.

• Admin

Agreed with that, at times last season with a settled back line of Macca, Caulker, Fonts and Carey (Later Spence)we looked nigh on dominant. But as soon as we conceded, the heads dropped and it all went to pot as the midfield was forced to chase the game and gaps opened up.

It would be interesting to see some stats on how many points we got from conceding the first goal. I would hazard a guess at it being a particularly low number. but thats simply guess work.

It's quite funny though, because coming back from losing positions was something we were exceptional at under GJ.

http://stats.football365.com/2011/ENG/D1/oppscfst.html

That's simply not borne out by results. Year before last, S****horpe beat Newcastle 2-1. I don't think there has been such a difference in size of club in the championship since we've been in it. Were Swansea in the 'elite'of the Championship at the beginning of last season? What about Blackpool the season before? If some mathematician analysed the spread of points amongst the 4 leagues over a period, I bet you'd find the championship the most competitive

as you will see not a regular poster but have been a season ticket holder for 14 years. please dont shoot me down i am just giving an opinion on the situation.

In my opinion we dont have the best defence and we certainly need to add quality if possible. Keith knows this and is trying but its becoming difficult with other teams throwing more money at the players than we can offer and possibly better ambitions, however i see it as if we have a much better attacking line up than previous seasons (if we can keep maynard then that would be fantastic) if we can keep hold of the ball longer during games then our defence will have less to worry about which means we maybe able to compete. we havent dominated possesion much in this league so we are always going to be on the back foot but hopefully we can dominate in the middle more and relieve the pressure on our defence enabling us to keep out silly errors in our back line.

just my thoughts on the position, if other teams want to write us off then thats fine with me. im not expecting us to be up there but who says we cant if we can find abit of early momentum then football is a funny game and money doesnt always bring success.

COYR

That's simply not borne out by results. Year before last, S****horpe beat Newcastle 2-1. I don't think there has been such a difference in size of club in the championship since we've been in it. Were Swansea in the 'elite'of the Championship at the beginning of last season? What about Blackpool the season before? If some mathematician analysed the spread of points amongst the 4 leagues over a period, I bet you'd find the championship the most competitive

Yes, and last year S****horpe got taken apart by most teams they played against.

Like I said, I no longer believe that any team can beat any other, due to the massive gulf in financial strength between those at the top and those at the bottom. We are somewhere in the middle, but without Lansdown's money we'd be in the bottom six.

Yes, and last year S****horpe got taken apart by most teams they played against.

Like I said, I no longer believe that any team can beat any other, due to the massive gulf in financial strength between those at the top and those at the bottom. We are somewhere in the middle, but without Lansdown's money we'd be in the bottom six.

Totally disagree,last season proved that anyone can beat anyone.

You only have to look at the fact that all 3 teams promoted from League 1 the previous season finished in the top 8?.

Can you predict the top 8 this season with any confidence???

It's wide open again this season,and once again it's the toughest league to predict.

Swansea's wage budget was the 4th lowest in the Championship. Only S****horpe, Millwall and Doncaster had smaller wage budgets. An exception rather than the rule, I agree, but it can be done.

How do you know this?

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2011/06/swansea-city-back-in-big-time.html

The 9th table down shows the wage budgets for the Championship (and ratio to turnover - ours is a terrifying 124% of turnover.)

It actually might not be as clear-cut as I made out, as the figures used are from 2009/10, not 2010/11, so it's conceivable that they massively ramped up their wage budget for last season, but I don't believe they did. Not significantly anyway and probably not relatively more than other clubs.

http://swissramble.b...n-big-time.html

The 9th table down shows the wage budgets for the Championship (and ratio to turnover - ours is a terrifying 124% of turnover.)

It actually might not be as clear-cut as I made out, as the figures used are from 2009/10, not 2010/11, so it's conceivable that they massively ramped up their wage budget for last season, but I don't believe they did. Not significantly anyway and probably not relatively more than other clubs.

Thanks. We are a financial basket-case, unfortunately.

If Mr L gets bored and walks away, we will be truly shafted

Bristol City

Verdict- 16th

Chip wrapper!

We have had our first demi, pre-season game. We are looking at availability and bringing in players and reports are that Stead among others are looking good already.

None of us really know who we may bring in between now and the transfer deadline, so it is very difficult (impossible) to judge where we may be at the end of the season. This is just another space filler as there is no actual real footy to report on, I would/do take the above as mindless crap!

Archived